Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To always be presuming about the feeling states, intentions and thoughts of others, maybe at some point one can accurately gauge these in others; I am talking about ruminating and "paranoia". To call this psychic is too far-fetched and superstitious, but I believe if someone can remember well these parts of their social encounters: what was said, by who, when, the facial expressions of the others, the others intentions, body language of others, the others current mood and ultimately, - the outcome. A pattern will emerge.

There will be a certain point when someone no longer is having "irrational thoughts", but honing the ability to over-analyze and just remember patterns.

Of course this is all anecdotal and of course it always possible to be wrong, and still likely to be wrong, but it is all a work in progress. Over-analyzing is a useful trait here.

·
Quo
1,964 Posts
But the patterns themselves are the flawed simply because ruminating and paranoid were the foundation, so they cant be accurate. Also there is simply the fact that we can never really know what someone is thinking, no matter how sure we are, even though because of SA we contradict this everyday of course.

I don't think over-analyzing has ever been a useful trait for me, it has been nothing but a crippling and frustrating trait.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Social anxiety is a irrational fear of what may or may not be. Nothing more, but when it becomes life controlling , and thought controlling, then it boarders on a phobia.

·
prancy pony
224 Posts
I would say my "over analyzing" has saved me from many situations in life, but I wouldn't call myself psychic. I'd just say I'm really good at reading people.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't say social anxiety is always irrational. For some people it is irrational, they have no evidence to back up the anxiety they experience where others do.

A fear\anxiety is irrational if you have no reason to feel it. If you do have a reason to feel that way, based on personal experiences then it's no longer irrational.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think it's being intuitive. You pick up on subtle clues, hints, vibes, etc. I've always been really good at knowing who was feeling what towards me. I also am great at spotting fakes and if someone was being false with me or other people. Basically I can see through them.

Still, I give people the benefit of the doubt and I'm almost always proven correct. My instincts are good.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
When I hear people speaking

To a lot of people - an announcement
Or what they do with hands - pointing, gestures, drawing

That doesn't meet my standards
They are stupid

I do nothing or get angry

But I get exactly the same from all others

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's being intuitive. You pick up on subtle clues, hints, vibes, etc. I've always been really good at knowing who was feeling what towards me. I also am great at spotting fakes and if someone was being false with me or other people. Basically I can see through them.

Still, I give people the benefit of the doubt and I'm almost always proven correct. My instincts are good.
This is what I look for as well. I haven't come across many individuals that reveal their true thoughts, motives and intentions because they are usually veiled behind some kind of social etiquette such as manners, "lets not confront for the sake of keeping rapport", and politeness. I'm always trying to piece together what they're really thinking, saying and scheming when I'm not around

·
Registered
22 Posts
For me it has been both. At times, when I'm being rational, I know that I pick up on things that others simply don't. I can pick up on positive things just as well, but I will just put a negative spin on it. And at other times, when I'm being irrational, I have completely misjudged people. I think we're all sensitive people, but sensitivity doesn't mean you'll be accurate or healthy about your empathic abilities.

I don't trust it because I have no ability to control whether I'm being rational about it or not. But there's no question that I can see or feel something that other people probably ignore. Would love for this ability to be a good thing, instead of manifesting itself as a selfish, fearful thing.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't you just know sometimes?

You've been through this particular scenario multiple times, you've observed the people around you and notice how they act in certain situations.. the facial expressions they make at that time and in those conditions.. the inflection in their voice and it there is a crescendo at the last word in their sentence that tries to deceive. You understand what is at stake for them and how vain they are at time and then add to equation the influence of their peers then say, "what are others going to think of them in this scenario." Then factor in the relationships they have with others, consider how close they are to each other

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Yes,

Because it almost seems like you're being overwhelmed by your sensitivity to what others are thinking. But the truth is you don't know what others are thinking. You're sensitive to what you think others are thinking. Your own thoughts are creating an overwhelming physical response.

·
happy i dodged a bullet
5,347 Posts
No, i agree with omg blood.

·
Banned
4,222 Posts
Hm. I've never thought of analyzing so much as a good thing. I tend to make connections that are NOT necessarily there. I see your point though. It could be partially true because I believe it's happened to me.

·
Banned
2,557 Posts
I would say my "over analyzing" has saved me from many situations in life, but I wouldn't call myself psychic. I'd just say I'm really good at reading people.
I as well. There's a science to it, psychic implies it transcends the natural world.

With this same sensitivity and ability to read comes a tendency to catastrophize rejections as more personal than they are though. And see rejections that are perhaps there, but other less in tuned people would overlook or be less privy to, so they would ignore the hints of rejection and persevere to win over a person's approval. Whereas we are more inclined to give up on the first sign of rejection cause it's so immediately discernible and painful for us, and we treat it as defining.

So catch-22. A happy balance on personality traits is almost always better than being on the extreme end if you want the most well balanced life.

·
Nowhere
589 Posts
SA is our own negative thoughts. We've basically fell into a negative thinking pattern over the years.. We take those negative thoughts and project them onto others. It's called "mind reading". It's unlikely that everyone thinks negative about us 24/7 or hates us.
People have no reason to hate you, unless you have good reasons for it... Otherwise they'd be *******s.

Even after saying all this I still fall into this trap anyways. That's what over 10 years of negative self talk does.
Imagine if we had positive self talk..we'd assume everyone likes us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts