Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Were you ever held back or flunked?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
7th grade. I went to an exam school and I became really depressed and overwhelmed and just gave up.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I was almost held back in the first grade not due to my grades, but because I didnt talk. They thought I wasnt emotionally mature enough to handle second grade.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I almost flunked 12th grade English because 1) it was an 8am class that I often slept through and 2) it was a class I avoided because we were freqently called upon to read aloud or comment during the class period, and with my fear of public speaking it was torture.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
no, though i wonder why i hadn't.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I was never held back in school but my parents held me back a year before I started kindergarden. They took me to some kind of kindergarden roundup where the teachers and aides would interact with the children to see if they were ready. I didn't react well at all, I was shy and I became upset and was clinging to my parents. My parents decided to wait a year and I ended up starting school at age six so I was one of the oldest people in my class.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
No, but I failed a class in 12th grade and had to go to summer school and couldn't graduate onstage.

Nyx said:
7th grade. I went to an exam school and I became really depressed and overwhelmed and just gave up.
I got into the O'Bryant but never ended up going.

·
Allons-y!
2,011 Posts
Sheri said:
No, but I failed a class in 12th grade and had to go to summer school and couldn't graduate onstage.

Nyx said:
I got into the O'Bryant but never ended up going.
Yeah? I went to the Boston Latin Academy.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I never failed or got held back, but I did end up doing both 11th and 12th grade in my senior year. I had dropped out less than halfway thru 11th, partly due to SA and depression. When I went back, they let me do them both at once, so I could graduate on time with the rest of my class.

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
I hated the teacher in my Advanced Placement 10th Grade English class so I always skipped her class...I ended up flunking the class, and held back a grade...I had to retake Sophomore English my Junior Year, take Junior English in Summer School, and was promoted from 10th grade to 12th grade...So flunking 10th Grade English caused to stay in the 10th grade for 2 years, then go straight to 12th Grade...I graduated on time which was all that counted, and scored 1100 on my SATs without even trying....Of course the kids sitting next to me in class got scholarships to Stanford and MIT....A perfect 800 on your Math SAT will do that...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Nope...

I find it riduclous that they would hold someone back because they didnt talk or they seemed odd, especially with all the idiots they dont hold back. our school systems are a bit offset to say the least.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
meggiehamilton said:
I was almost held back in the first grade not due to my grades, but because I didnt talk.
My story is similar. They wanted to hold me back in some elementary school grade (maybe 3rd or 4th) all because I virtually never talked. They equated not talking with being dumb, which most certainly was not the case.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just barely no... I failed 6 classes in 9th grade mostly due to depression, but I was able to pull myself together enough to make it up over the next few summers, and I graduated with my class (in the bottom 25% percentile...)

To this day, I'm still a chronic procrastinator :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
102 Posts
UltraShy said:
meggiehamilton said:
I was almost held back in the first grade not due to my grades, but because I didnt talk.
My story is similar. They wanted to hold me back in some elementary school grade (maybe 3rd or 4th) all because I virtually never talked. They equated not talking with being dumb, which most certainly was not the case.
Same for me. I was held back in early grade school. I think that it was because I didn't talk also. They thought I was slow or mentally challenged.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
No, but I had the opposite effect. In kindergarten, I was reading at a fifth-grade level and doing math at a fourth-grade level (darned long division :lol). They didn't advance me because I was socially that of a five-year-old. I still graduated at 17 (as only an honor roll student mainly due to depression) - summer birthday :boogie.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Myself, I actually got pushed ahead a grade in elementary school because I was supposedly so advanced. Before you start thinking that this was great, keep in mind that I was thereafter always the youngest and most immature person in my class - which probably helped to reinforce my growing SA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts