Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talk to a lot of people online, and I've been using an online dating site. Infact, I no longer have utter fear when I call someone on my phone now, thanks to taking my meds, then calling up random ladies I have met on there. Anyway, I think it's a silly thing to say, but has anyone ever been told they don't seem like they have SA because they are chatty online? Or have no qualms about awkward subjects online?

I'm so used to communicating online that I am somewhat "outgoing" on the internet, thanks to the fact no one is staring at me, and I have time to plan a response, and I don't have to actually speak it... but does anyone have problems even chatting online? One problem I had on Xbox, was when I originally got Xbox Live in 2003, I refused to use the mic... it felt awkward, and I was embarrassed to have it on.

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
3 of my friends here...i still doubt whether I should be here or not..m just confused whether whatever I feel is regarded as anxiety or not...

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I've been told that. But truthfully I usually have just as much of a hard time talking online as in real life. Because I always expect that the person I am talking to is not going to respond to me, so what is the point of even trying to talk to them.

I mean it's a lot easier just posting stuff like this cause i'm just getting stuff out there and don't care if anyone replies to it or not. But actually talking or iming someone online I have a hard time with cause I'm used to being ignored that way.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Yes. On a political forum I visit quite often one person actually thought I was a Bush Administration Official. I'm serious. They thought I worked in The White House. :yes

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yeah, I've been told that I come across as really confident and chatty. I've also been told that someone thinks I don't have Aspergers, this is coming from someone who has been talking to me for a few weeks. I think I'm pretty different online to how I am in real life, I don't think people can judge how I really am over the internet.

·
happy :)
606 Posts
The truth is how is anyone ever going to know you have social anxiety online offline in real person nobody is unless you tell them , thats what i've found

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
Yep. I hate how I act differently in real life than online. Online I come off as ....outgoing. But in real life, meh....total opposite at times.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Absolutely. Social Anxiety doesnt necessarily mean lack of social skills. A lot of us do have the knowledge and ability in theory - its just we arent able to put it into practice when the environment around us intimidates us for whatever reason. In some situations when I feel comfortable in the outside world, I can be very outgoing and make small talk etc, I believe Im naturally talkative and I am a good conversationalist. But put me in a new place/new situation with lots of people or very outgoing people...and I cant do it at all, I freeze and am terrified to say or do anything.

·
(.*?)
6,654 Posts
Just take it as a compliment. Better to have online social skills and confidence to use then than not to.

·
Fabulously Awkward
733 Posts
Nope. I"m just as awkward online. But I did take a business communication class that involved a lot of talking about myself, and other students said I came across as confident. In reality, I was spewing loads of verbal diarrhea due to nervousness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's a lot easier for me to communicate online, for some reason I feel like I can talk about things I wouldn't bring up in a face-to-face conversation. It's also nice to be able to have extra time to construct sentences. I end up with a lot of "um"s and half-completed sentences in an actual conversation while I'm looking for the right words.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
Yes toadlicker was doubting me I had sa at one point because I was bored and very talkative

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
If everyone knew me in real life, but they equate my online life as real life...that I'm a generalized a-hole.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, for those of you who do have anxiety online, maybe that is the best start to overcoming your anxiety? It was a lot easier to conquer my phone anxiety than I thought it would be, but I think it's because no one is looking at me... which is the same reason I always refuse to do webcam.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I have no anxiety at all online. On the phone I'll have anxiety but how bad depends on the purpose of the call. If I'm calling a friend---very little anxiety. If I'm calling up someone to ask a favor or to try to sell them something then the anxiety goes off the chart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts