Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're rare and fleeting, but I have had a few before, and I don't for the life of me know how, or where and when they might happen again. As an SA'er, I've analysed this to death, but just can't figure it out. For some reason the inhabitions disappear for a very brief amount of time, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. The people that I'm around when this happens must think "yes, he's one of us", and then WHOOSH it's gone, leaving them and myself totally perplexed. It's like waving a juicy BBQ steak in front of a starving person, then snatching it away.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
I had this once while taking three times the amount of recommended valerian root. lasted for an hour. felt amazing.

when i visit my old school (i moved away last summer), for that night i get into a groove and im just fine with everything. I still am pretty tense, but i get totally social and confident.

My experience with valerian root was the same as visiting my friends, but without the tenseness.

· Registered
128 Posts
Totally happens to me. There will be certain days, random spouts of confidence come out of nowhere. And I gain the ability to talk to anyone. And I feel the motivation to do anything!

Unfortunately, these are completely rare. :cry

· Registered
315 Posts
Could try distracting myself to get those bouts of extroversion, or be with someone who I can bounce ideas off. Individually, it can be hard to attain that level, unless there's something to focus my mind on. (external motivation)

Yes, I can artificially deceive myself, but I don't do that often.

· Registered
70 Posts
This has happens to me also. Although, it usually happens to me when I go to shows because I'm just that passionate about music. Being surrounded by people who love a band just as much as I do sorta opens up something in me and lets all those thoughts go away. I've managed to talk to plenty of strangers in line and in the crowd, even though I hate crowds of people and strangers getting to "close for comfort." Strange stuff indeed.

· Registered
128 Posts
This has happens to me also. Although, it usually happens to me when I go to shows because I'm just that passionate about music. Being surrounded by people who love a band just as much as I do sorta opens up something in me and lets all those thoughts go away. I've managed to talk to plenty of strangers in line and in the crowd, even though I hate crowds of people and strangers getting to "close for comfort." Strange stuff indeed.
Same. When you're surrounded by the same kinds of people with the same interests, it's so easy to open up!

· PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,745 Posts
Yes. Sometime I find myself moving a conversation with a stranger along like a professional and I don't even realize I'm doing it. It's like my normal people skills I've acquired by osmosis by now kick in. It's crazy. It makes me feel good, though, because for a while I was just like a normal person and no one could have thought I was the weird shy person for once.

· Banned
3,608 Posts
Yes. At an anime convention I tend to go crazy, like I've never had SA at all. My best feat to date is dancing the macarena at a rave on a dare with two other people in the middle of the crowd. Fun times!

· Protector of the Den
15,328 Posts
Yea, but I usually write checks that I'm later unable to pay. I'll setup something while I'm feeling extroverted, like asking to meet someone or setting up a party, and then I'll return to normal. I'll be like, oh crap, what did I get myself into? It usually falls apart at this point :(

· Registered
61 Posts
Yea, but I usually write checks that I'm later unable to pay. I'll setup something while I'm feeling extroverted, like asking to meet someone or setting up a party, and then I'll return to normal. I'll be like, oh crap, what did I get myself into? It usually falls apart at this point :(
Oh, I know how you feel. I've made plans and then cancelled them because I got too anxious.

· dazed and confused
960 Posts
I'm only extroverted around people if I've had a few drinks. The payback is hell, though, because afterward I analyze everything I said, and think I've probably made a fool of myself. Which probably isn't true, but that's the paranoia in me showing it's ugly face.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.