Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, when im listening to really awesome music or watching an intense movie i get the urge to like...act or sing. Like i wanna be on stage doing something really well.

do you ever get the urge to go busking(busking, for the uniformed, is when you preform on a public street for monies. normally with a musical instrument) or do karaoke at a bar or anything like that?

i can sort of sing well but i cant play anything. :(

·
Lost in New Babylon
86 Posts
Constantly. I think I probably would have ended up in theater or something if it weren't for SA. It's a shame I'm paralyzed by the thought of performing, as I've been told I'm pretty good at dancing. Oh, and sometimes I daydream about singing on stage.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I had singing fantasies as a kid, but I didn't have SA at the time.

I've been working on learning to play piano and I kind of hope that some day I will be able to give some kind of real performance.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
Just when I thought I was the only person who fantasised about this haha...and then I realise that I'm a terrible singer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
omg. I still do. (lol):boogie
True, if I werent so anxious around people i'd be a professional dancer.
I don't think there's a flying chance now.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Oh gosh I do that all the time. I love singing though. I can't go a day without singing at some point, but I don't think I'd ever be able to do it infrot of people. When I was younger I really wanted voice lessons, but I was too afraid to ever go through with it. I did take theater freshman year of high school though and it was the scariest, but also the most fun class I've ever had. I think it helped me be able to do presentations more easily.

·
Neither Enemy Nor Friend
412 Posts
I have to do a dance with a group of people on the 22nd. scared outta my mind :(

singing would be cool though. by myself lol

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I do as well. There have been lots of times that I've really wished that I had the confidence to get into acting when I was younger - as I've been really interested in acting since being a young kid. And at times when I'm watching a movie or TV show - in which I've found the acting performances especially impressive - this is something I get reminded of quite alot. There was a point when I was still at high school (before my SA got really really bad there) that I started drama lessons and started to really enjoy them - and think that if I'd had more confidence in myself and put alot more practice in than I did, it's possible I may have developed an ability there (though then again I may not have done, but I didn't stick at it for long enough to know either way). Still, in the end it was one of those things that I felt I just wasn't cut out for - because of my deep fear of performing in front of others - so in the end felt I had little choice other than to give up on the idea.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I feel I have the heart of a performer. Always wanted to, but after a while let the desire stay dormant because of SA. Now that I'm recovering, I find that I'm performing, and I love it :yay. I was in a community theater play this past month. Guys & Dolls was the name of the play. It was so much fun! Believe it or not, I find it easier to act. I'm hiding behind a character. I feel at home on stage. When I was hospitalized for my depression, the social worker gave me this shocked look when I told her I was doing Guys & Dolls and have SA. You're doing this and you have social phobia? Ok.... (haha laughter mine).

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I was in a play myself back in high school. Acting is all about allowing yourself to become someone else, and it's kind of nice to be able to portray someone that's so different from myself.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,174 Posts
As a musician I who used to jam in the hallways of highschool & performed live at some local bars/house parties for a while I still get the urge to return to it. My thing though is when we played bars/parties I was the drummer, so not the centre of attention as such. I got nervous but once into a groove after a song or 2 was usually fine. A few drinks always helped as well. Now that I'm a solo artist & starting to get into singing over my music I would love to perform again but I need to practice more first & also being the main focus is something that induces anxiety so I'll have to work on that too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts