Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
molaurie
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like, maybe God or the divine universal wisdom or whoever/whatever is your Higher Power, created us with SAD, introversion, shyness, etc., for a divine purpose? And, this being so, maybe we shouldn't struggle so much against it, and berate ourselves so much. After all, we can't all be outgoing extroverts; the world would be a strange place if this were so.

Maybe there is something we are born to do or accomplish, which can only be done or accomplished with us being the way we are. And trying to change the way we are, we are squelching/stifling/messing with the Plan.

Anyway, just another way to look at things!

·
Banned
497 Posts
Like, maybe God or the divine universal wisdom or whoever/whatever is your Higher Power, created us with SAD, introversion, shyness, etc., for a divine purpose? And, this being so, maybe we shouldn't struggle so much against it, and berate ourselves so much. After all, we can't all be outgoing extroverts; the world would be a strange place if this were so.

Maybe there is something we are born to do or accomplish, which can only be done or accomplished with us being the way we are. And trying to change the way we are, we are squelching/stifling/messing with the Plan.

have a look what i wrote int he therapy section in thread titled ''is cbt a load of b''. tis should clear things up

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Sorry but I've always thought that "happens for a reason" philosophy is nothing but wishful thinking. Things happen and people feel the need to attach reasons to them. You can either live with them or not.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Sorry but I've always thought that "happens for a reason" philosophy is nothing but wishful thinking. Things happen and people feel the need to attach reasons to them. You can either live with them or not.
i beleiv everything happens for a reason. there has to be some sort of structure to this world.

why would a load of bad things happen to one peron but not to someone else. thatsjust plain unfair. there has to be a reason behind it all

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
i beleiv everything happens for a reason. there has to be some sort of structure to this world.

why would a load of bad things happen to one peron but not to someone else. thatsjust plain unfair. there has to be a reason behind it all
Life is unfair. That's just the way it is. Becuase there should be a reason doesn't mean that there is.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Life is unfair. That's just the way it is. Becuase there should be a reason doesn't mean that there is.
Yes "everything happens for a reason" is a big petpeeve of mine, probably because i've heard it so much from so many people. I understand the need for a sense of cosmic justice as a way to cope with the bad things that happen in the world, but that belief is not personally for me. To paraphrase Thompson the misguided belief that someone is tending the light at the end of the tunnel is why we have so many problems today (which contradicts other threads where I say I believe in a God but what the heck, I like to confuse)

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Personally I don't believe I was made this way. I wasn't born perfect, however. I think it has to do with genetics and environment. I do believe when I'm down and something good happens to me, it was for a reason, that it was Divine; God's encouragement telling me I'm alright. He accepts me the way I am. His mercy. He doesn't concentrate on what is wrong with us. Fully accepting and loving. He doesn't expect more than we can give. We just do what we can.

·
Registered
202 Posts

It's called randomness. It's just good luck, bad luck, and coincidences. What reason would there be in me killing myself? Big plan for that... What reason is there in anything at all?

Rich people get richer and then donate to a rich man. Does that have purpose?

Bad people live a good life. What use is there in that?

A person is a bully as a kid, puts kids down, one to the point they kill themselves. Then grows up very popular and successful and even more of a jerk, he's even a worse person. Ruins peoples lives while making his own better. :sus

God made all this happen for a purpose? THAT is unfair.

Think about it. Either we're confident, smart, etc. and then we can do whatever we want. Or we're not and we fail at life. It's just in your brain. Not in the clouds. It's too obvious.

Sure, everyone wants to believe there is a reason behind everything. But remember, the brain, it comes with common sense. Some peoples common sense gland fails, others don't(lucky me).

·
Registered
298 Posts
I believe in God, but I think where ever a person is in life, it is because of that person's choices, not because of God. I personally don't think it is practical to wonder about things like fate or being made for a purpose. I think it is more practical to see your life as a blank canvas and you can make it into whatever you choose.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts

This is what I believe, and I think it's a positive way to look at life. I don't think it means that we are going to just give up on doing the things we want to do though. Actually I think it is the only way to let the past go and move on with your life. I mean, how can you really care about yourself if you see yourself as having no purpose? And how can you really care about anyone else if you think they have no purpose?

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
It's just in your brain. Not in the clouds. It's too obvious.
It's neither. All you are doing is making a counter argument against something that is already illogical. This idea of God being in the sky makes no sense and it only comes from people who use a literal interpretation of the bible, but that doesn't mean that the opposite of that is any more true.

After all is said and done though, it's just a different way of seeing the world, and it says more about a person's current mood then it does about "truth".

If everything is just a chemical reaction in our brain then how do you know your brain isn't just blinding you from real common sense right now? I mean, that's what you think about other people and you think they're just "blind", so why couldn't it be you that is "blind". How would you know?

·
gone
5,224 Posts
We're certainly the way we are for a reason, or rather for a whole slew of interconnected reasons, but I don't know if it has anything to do with a higher power.

How come nobody can ever seem to understand that everything can have a scientific explanation and a purpose at the same time?
Because people are really, really confused about science. I've noticed that a lot.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
nah, I think I just got screwed.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
sometimes i think the same thing, but it's only when i am suicidal and i start to believe that fate probably exists and that my fate is to end my life myself, otherwise why woudl my brain tell me to do so and why would i feel like that?

though i usually believe that has more to do with just good old "natural selection"

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think SA helps one to be more perceptive, and can help people develop some positive qualities like compassion and empathy. I don't think there are many, if any, people in the world who have absolutely no cross to bear, and there are certainly people who have much heavier crosses to bear than SA. Some do so with a remarkably positive attitude too, and contribute a great deal to the world in spite of their cross. I don't believe that SA is something that one can choose not to have, but a person can always choose to build on their positive characteristics and focus on what they can do instead of what they can't. Self-pity and self-hatred really aren't characteristics of social anxiety itself. I think we're all created for a reason, and each is an irreplaceable piece of the whole. We've all got our lot in life, and we all have the choice of whether or not we're going to build something on it. I believe there is a divine purpose for everyone, but I also believe we have the free will to be quite out of sync with that divine purpose.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If everything is just a chemical reaction in our brain then how do you know your brain isn't just blinding you from real common sense right now? I mean, that's what you think about other people and you think they're just "blind", so why couldn't it be you that is "blind". How would you know?
Increased dopamine activity in the mesolimbic pathway of the brain is consistently found in schizophrenic individuals. So when you hear the voices of a dead talking guy, I suggest you try a doctor. So that's abnormal for the human body, because of it, it has strange side effects.

Also, if God made a flaw in humanity where billions of people are "blinded" from seeing him, all because he made us wrong... then... he's rather stupid... :yes Unless it was the inbreeding... :stu

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Increased dopamine activity in the mesolimbic pathway of the brain is consistently found in schizophrenic individuals. So when you hear the voices of a dead talking guy, I suggest you try a doctor. So that's abnormal for the human body, because of it, it has strange side effects.

Also, if God made a
flaw in humanity where billions of people are "blinded" from seeing him, all because he made us wrong... then... he's rather stupid... :yes Unless it was the inbreeding... :stu
You are currently seeing things from a heavily scientific perspective. Very few times you mention anything metaphysical unless it is to make fun of it. Some people are very metaphysical in how they think. Some people are very physical (scientific) in how they think. Personally I prefer to try and stay fairly balanced and recognize both as valid viewpoints. I can pretty much get along with anyone until they start trying to pull me to one of either of the extremes. As soon as somebody starts claiming one of the sides as absolute truth is when I realize that they are simply narrow minded and not very intellectually honest with themselves or anyone else. Also, extremists tend to resort to making fun of people when their denial is threatened.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Well, if you wanna talk science... I believe I'm a product of the "sh*t happens" factor, it's a universal constant!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts