Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been, multiple times. One was ordered by the judge, avoided jail since I never want to go back to county - I took it. It's horrible. Nobody there helps you, we had to do groups 3 times a day, put what our "goal for the day is". No caffeine coffee, no smoking, we couldn't even go outside. We had our rooms and it was shared. Two people, obviously men with men and the women with the women. The food was exactly like hospital food, even down to the tray. Can't even listen to music, watch tv, even though there was a tv in the "main room". We also had to see a psych once a day. Diagnosing people within just 3-4 days of a barely 2 minute conversation with us. The nurses kept cleaning and bandaging my wrists on the couch with EVERYONE looking. The stares. No privacy. Has anyone ever been and what was your experience?

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
2,277 Posts
I've been once. Pretty similar experience. Most of the people who worked there didn't seem to care. I had a room to myself because I was admitted with psychosis but they pumped me full of pills that brought me back down so far that I woke up gasping for air in my bed.

There were groups you could attend and that was about the only activity you could do besides walk up and down the hallways. Not allowed outside, I remember looking out the window and wanting my freedom back so badly.

Thankfully, I was only there for about 5 days before they had to release me. Oh I also had a doctor who saw me for about 5 minutes to "evaluate" me on my final day...he was an ******* and kept thinking he knew what he was talking about when he referred to my case...he was trying to make me have to stay for longer. I corrected his BS multiple times until he shut up and I was released later that day.

Oh it also would have helped to have been admitted earlier. I actually went to the ER for (redacted) thoughts but they told me I wasn't (redacted) and sent me home only for me to have a full blown manic episode a day later and ended up there anyway. I really don't like the healthcare system. It's like "We'll wait till it gets so bad that he's gone off the deep end, then we'll help."

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been once. Pretty similar experience. Most of the people who worked there didn't seem to care. I had a room to myself because I was admitted with psychosis but they pumped me full of pills that brought me back down so far that I woke up gasping for air in my bed.

There were groups you could attend and that was about the only activity you could do besides walk up and down the hallways. Not allowed outside, I remember looking out the window and wanting my freedom back so badly.

Thankfully, I was only there for about 5 days before they had to release me. Oh I also had a doctor who saw me for about 5 minutes to "evaluate" me on my final day...he was an *** and kept thinking he knew what he was talking about when he referred to my case...he was trying to make me have to stay for longer. I corrected his BS multiple times until he shut up and I was released later that day.

Oh it also would have helped to have been admitted earlier. I actually went to the ER for (redacted) thoughts but they told me I wasn't (redacted) and sent me home only for me to have a full blown manic episode a day later and ended up there anyway. I really don't like the healthcare system. It's like "We'll wait till it gets so bad that he's gone off the deep end, then we'll help."
The psych that I had to see was always very confrontational. I snapped at him so bad once when he ask about my hair while snickering, I have long hair, I told him not to **** with me. Dude was like that with everyone, even the staff.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
2,277 Posts
The psych that I had to see was always very confrontational. I snapped at him so bad once when he ask about my hair while snickering, I have long hair, I told him not to **** with me. Dude was like that with everyone, even the staff.
My experience was over 6 years ago so it's a bit blurry but I remember the psych I saw was confrontational in a very pompous way. When I was admitted I had a lot of anger due to the mania and he told me my mom was worried I was going to go on a shooting spree...so I called my mom and she had never said that. It's like he was making things up to either get a reaction out of me or make me have to stay for longer. I don't know. I'm just glad I got out and I don't plan on ever going back.

The sad thing is, it makes me not want to ask for help if I we're ever in a position where I needed it and thought I could end up back there.

·
Super Moderator
37,174 Posts
It is possible they do that to test people to see if they'll crack under a certain amount of pressure. I know it's hard not to take it personally but if that is what they're doing, it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to tell you why they're doing it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sad thing is, it makes me not want to ask for help if I we're ever in a position where I needed it and thought I could end up back there.
Exactly. They don't actually help you, they just pump you full of meds and just tell you to keep your mouth shut even when you just wanted somebody to talk to about your problems.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is possible they do that to test people to see if they'll crack under a certain amount of pressure. I know it's hard not to take it personally but if that is what they're doing, it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to tell you why they're doing it.
The dude made people cry, it's like he loved making mentally ill even more alone and hating themselves. That ****ing snickering.

·
Registered
17,926 Posts
I've been many times - but for the most part it was in a private place. They treat you a lot better, although not always. The ones I went to were a bit like country clubs - nice food, yoga classes, walks around the park nearby etc. You still had to go to the classes and some of the nurses were still rude though. Not all nurses are nice people - I learnt that a long time ago.

Ages ago I went to a public place to get off pills, that was rougher. Many people sleeping in a large room, the guy beside me would constantly throw himself off his bed and scream - poor *******, I think he was withdrawing from heroin. The nurses and staff there were very mean - one of the "therapists" said something about my mother until I said something back which stopped her from doing it again. I can understand in a way how they probably become hardened to some extent - they would deal with some rough people. But I've always avoided public places since then.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been many times - but for the most part it was in a private place. They treat you a lot better, although not always. The ones I went to were a bit like country clubs - nice food, yoga classes, walks around the park nearby etc. You still had to go to the classes and some of the nurses were still rude though. Not all nurses are nice people - I learnt that a long time ago.

Ages ago I went to a public place to get off pills, that was rougher. Many people sleeping in a large room, the guy beside me would constantly throw himself off his bed and scream - poor ***, I think he was withdrawing from heroin. The nurses and staff there were very mean - one of the "therapists" said something about my mother until I said something back which stopped her from doing it again. I can understand in a way how they probably become hardened to some extent - they would deal with some rough people. But I've always avoided public places since then.
there were some people in the psych ward I went to that were withdrawing from **** like meth, h, benzos, etc. horrible site. meanwhile they had me on 6mg/3 bars of xanax a day.

·
Registered
17,926 Posts
My experience was over 6 years ago so it's a bit blurry but I remember the psych I saw was confrontational in a very pompous way. When I was admitted I had a lot of anger due to the mania and he told me my mom was worried I was going to go on a shooting spree...so I called my mom and she had never said that. It's like he was making things up to either get a reaction out of me or make me have to stay for longer. I don't know. I'm just glad I got out and I don't plan on ever going back.

I worry about that sometimes too. I used to have very good private health insurance - so I could go to the top places. Sometimes when I'm having a very bad time of it I think maybe I should upgrade my insurance again - but fortunately those times usually pass fairly quickly so I sort of just wait it out. If that changes though I would do it.

From what I've seen of the system in the US insurance is complicated and expensive. Makes dealing with mental health issues very difficult to say the least.

·
Registered
17,926 Posts
I was prescribed Xanax at 16. In all honesty, it really is the only drug that helps. My psych has had me on 90 count a month for years.
How is your memory? Just be careful of that. I was on it for a long time - studied, worked etc 24/7 on it for years. Eventually my brain turned to mush and I had to go into hospital to get off them. I was in a room with a shrink and my wife talking about me and I couldn't tell them how I felt - I was a mess. I've lost whole sections of my life to that stuff (anterograde amnesia it's apparently called.)

If it doesn't do it and you can still stay on the same dose then okay, but be careful.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,335 Posts
Yes, but it wasn't bad. Everyone had a private room. There were some groups, but they didn't force you to talk. I've been to a rehab where they forced you to talk in groups and I'd rather go to county jail or prison than go through that again. That was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How is your memory? Just be careful of that. I was on it for a long time - studied, worked etc 24/7 on it for years. Eventually my brain turned to mush and I had to go into hospital to get off them. I was in a room with a shrink and my wife talking about me and I couldn't tell them how I felt - I was a mess. I've lost whole sections of my life to that stuff (anterograde amnesia it's apparently called.)

If it doesn't do it and you can still stay on the same dose then okay, but be careful.
My teen years are basically a blur on it, then alcohol on top of it, among other things. I'd say up until 25 it's just fragments. Sorry you had to go through that, man.

·
Registered
17,926 Posts
My teen years are basically a blur on it, then alcohol on top of it, among other things. I'd say up until 25 it's just fragments. Sorry you had to go through that, man.
Thanks, it's okay. I'm pretty old now and I'm still here - I've learnt to be grateful for the little things. And I have a lot to be grateful for.

It's terrible that the benzos are still one of the best things for anxiety. I still have a few Valium for emergencies. But I would never take them every day. And to be honest they make me pretty tired if I take even a half. I take other stuff now - a mood stabiliser because about 10 years ago I was diagnosed with bipolar.

As someone said to me a while ago - it must have been a rollercoaster. It certainly has been - but like I say, I'm still here.

·
Fupa King
999 Posts
Well, given the party in my head at the time, I thought the staff were demons, which, considering how some of them treated the patients there, including me, it was probably not that far off. I also thought I was in hell and had become the ruler of hell—again, hell is not that far off. Who would of thought putting a psychotic person in room full of other potentially psychotic, volatile, emotionally unstable people would be a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
37,174 Posts
Who would of thought putting a psychotic person in room full of other potentially psychotic, volatile, emotionally unstable people would be a good idea.
This (and other accounts given) is why I am personally leery of the whole "mental health" industry. From some of the things I have read about from people who have interacted with it extensively, you'd never know what century we're in if it wasn't for the utilization of technology to just make things worse.

Though there is obviously a point where someone is very dangerous to society, I fear that the practice of just locking people up as a means of sweeping big societal problems under the rug will become too normalized and eventually, it will start happening to people who are not really a threat to anyone but rather, society just sees as a nuisance or whatever.

·
Fupa King
999 Posts
This (and other accounts given) is why I am personally leery of the whole "mental health" industry. From some of the things I have read about from people who have interacted with it extensively, you'd never know what century we're in if it wasn't for the utilization of technology to just make things worse.

Though there is obviously a point where someone is very dangerous to society, I fear that the practice of just locking people up as a means of sweeping big societal problems under the rug will become too normalized and eventually, it will start happening to people who are not really a threat to anyone but rather, society just sees as a nuisance or whatever.
I only recommend going there if you absolutely have to—I chose to go voluntarily. They had a person in there who they had to surround their room with security guards. I mainly needed emergency medication. And even then, they started me on a medication that caused terrible restlessness that itself made it worse for me. I was also too terrified and confused to communicate what was happening to me, when it came to side effects.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts