Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed out on the last year of school and as a result didn't do any GCSEs, but this year I signed up for the evening maths GCSE class at a nearby college and tonight I went to the introduction evening. As they were having network problems and we couldn't log on to any of the computers, we couldn't do the assessment test to detirmine which level everyone should be on, so instead the teacher split us up into groups of five to "get to know eachother". I was grouped with 2 middle aged ladies, a girl about my age and another guy about my age. I was pretty nervous at first but they turned out to be nice enough. I was a bit apprehensive towards the other guy as I thought he looked like a bit of a chav, and the girl looked like a dumb blonde chavette, but they turned out to be ok.

Although I didn't achieve my CBT goal of specificly saying "hello" to at least 2 people and I wasn't particularily talkative, things went ok. I wasn't particularily interesting to be around and the only time I spoke was to talk about the particular tasks we were doing (math puzzle type things), but I wasn't worried about what people thought of me (which is the main source of my anxiety), just worried about offending people by being too "intrusive" when talking to them. Though the main reason I wasn't as talkative as I would've liked to have been was that I'm so out of practice in the art of conversation that I can't even remember how to start a conversation, hold a conversation or come up with interesting topics to talk about. But I guess when you've had only one real friend to talk to for 3 years then suddenly find yourself surrounded with people, it takes a bit of getting used to.

While it's not a huge achievement, at least now I've got something to do on thursday evenings and I've got more people to mix with, even if half of them are over twice my age.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And how, exactly, do you know that?
Because I didn't really say anything interesting. I just made comments on the activity we were doing. I didn't "engage" in any conversations, just added comments. I find people who do that rather boring, and I assume other people find that as boring as I do.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bothering to go again anyway so it doesn't matter. And it's obvious that you're boring people when they barely adknowledge you and don't talk to you unless you directly ask them a question, which is what my experience was like.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Not bothering to go again anyway so it doesn't matter. And it's obvious that you're boring people when they barely adknowledge you and don't talk to you unless you directly ask them a question, which is what my experience was like.
It was just one night! It can take a while for you to get used to them and them to get used to you. Once everyone is used to each other, you know, things could be a little different. I'm taking 2 night classes and in both classes I have groups for presentations. I'm the youngest in both of my groups and I feel weird because they're all experienced in this field (early childhood education) or they're mothers and I'm not either of those things. But they're nice to me and when I do talk, they listen. I still leave the class feeling good that I attended (EVEN while sick - oh, yes, I'm a trooper, haha). At the end of the day, whether they think you're interesting or not, you're benefiting from going, right?

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not really benefiting from it because I'll never end up getting a job anyway if I can't even be bothered to goto college for 2 hours a week, so it's not like I need any qualifications let alone one that hardly means anything. I don't want to be surrounded by people 2-3 times my age who pretty much ignore me, or chavs who are there to retake it because they failed it in school.

It's too late to change my mind now anyway unless I phone them up and tell them that I was ill at the last minute so I can do the assessment next week, but that would be a lie and I don't like lying to people. Also, I wouldn't even have the courage to phone them in the first place, let alone to lie to them.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I'm not really benefiting from it because I'll never end up getting a job anyway if I can't even be bothered to goto college for 2 hours a week, so it's not like I need any qualifications let alone one that hardly means anything. I don't want to be surrounded by people 2-3 times my age who pretty much ignore me, or chavs who are there to retake it because they failed it in school.

It's too late to change my mind now anyway unless I phone them up and tell them that I was ill at the last minute so I can do the assessment next week, but that would be a lie and I don't like lying to people. Also, I wouldn't even have the courage to phone them in the first place, let alone to lie to them.
Ah, I see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts