Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever noticed that even when you do talk to people you don't know, they don't respond the way you want them to? Like for example, when I talk to family members or friends of mine, and I say something, they'll react the way I want them to. If I say a joke, they'll laugh or if I ask them a question they will answer it. With people I don't know, they don't react the same way. I'll say a joke and no one laughs, or I ask a question and people pretty much ignore me.

Maybe I talk differently when I am around people I know and I am much more confident so they respond to me more. I don't know. It doesn't really make sense to me because I try to act the same around everyone.

Does this happen to any of you? Where you'll say a joke in front of people you don't know and it fails miserably. But you say it in front of family or friends and it's the funniest thing ever.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
It's the opposite for me. My family ignores what I say and think my humor is weird or too morbid.
Strangers, when I do talk to them, they think I'm funny and interesting.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
Maybe your family and friends are used to your sense of humor and personality so they get you better.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I get weird reactions from everyone. The adults in my fam don't really get me. I have terrible phone SA with my relatives. I have this aunt that always seems to laugh at me when I speak. The other day she asked me how I was doing and I said I had allergies. She just starts laughing like this creepy villain. What is so funny about having allergies?!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think it's because they don't "get you" yet. I myself find people much more funny after I get to know them a little bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can usually feel people out, and then act accordingly. I'm still being myself, but I just can sense what will and won't jive with a person after being around them for a few minutes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I understand exactly what you mean!

For me, I would say it's because I don't project the same confidence so it comes across odd or whatever, or because I don't speak loudly enough with people I do not know very well so people either are not sure how to react or did not hear me, I guess...

Plus of course, your family/close friends know you better so that can catch more of the subtleties.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree - you probably don't have the same relaxed confidence when out of your 'family circle'. It's probably really subtle, but others are obviously picking up on something, and unless you are fully committed to it and confident in the delivery, no joke, no matter how funny will work.

I find people don't react to me easily either. I must give off some strange aura which sets me apart from normal women.

·
Registered
22 Posts
same thing

Have you ever noticed that even when you do talk to people you don't know, they don't respond the way you want them to? Like for example, when I talk to family members or friends of mine, and I say something, they'll react the way I want them to. If I say a joke, they'll laugh or if I ask them a question they will answer it. With people I don't know, they don't react the same way. I'll say a joke and no one laughs, or I ask a question and people pretty much ignore me.

Maybe I talk differently when I am around people I know and I am much more confident so they respond to me more. I don't know. It doesn't really make sense to me because I try to act the same around everyone.

Does this happen to any of you? Where you'll say a joke in front of people you don't know and it fails miserably. But you say it in front of family or friends and it's the funniest thing ever.
The exact thing happens to me! with my friends and family they seem to respond to most of the things i say(unless they didn't hear me) in the way that i would expect them too..but with people that i might try to have a conversation with its just not the same. Espacially because now i am living in a new place so im trying to crack a joke every now and then but its not working..the place either gets quiet or im just ignored :mum...it makes me feel like giving up...

·
Still Running
387 Posts
For years I’ve believed that I was “off base” somehow, not “a people person”. I perceive reactions from people whether they are accurate or not, but within the next moment I am paranoid or begin to question whether the perception was accurate or not. It is difficult to improve on self-confidence in a group of people when I have no idea where I actually stand within the group as an individual. I try to read everyone’s face and this gives me away as the strange idiot that I am.
I am more unbalanced around people whom are just getting to know me. I think that I have developed a facade for the general public and acquaintances, but if someone starts to get to know me it scares the h-e double-l out of me.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
This happens to me. I'm not one to tell a big fat joke or anything, but sometimes I'll say a cute remark or something that I think is pretty funny and it falls flat. Then at other times I'll just be slightly sarcastic or something without intending any humour and people will laugh. And I'll say things which I expect a reply to and no one does. I think it's confidence and how you say it. I talk really quietly too, so it's likely no one is even hearing half of what I say.

·
Registered
153 Posts
its all about timing! when it comes to jokes, even if your 1 second too late, that little giggle or laugh you were expecting is gone...that or maybe your just not that funny to some people...i consider myself a pretty funny guy, sometimes the way ppl react to my humor is disheartening but i dont take it to heart...i do it to ppl too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts