Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly severe case of social anxiety and a mild one of depression. My anxiety mostly comes from being too self aware of what's going on around me. I never stop thinking and this causes me to be extremely quiet and awkward around other people. When the anxiety kicks in, there are strong heart palpitations and a shortness of breath.

I'm looking for a medication that will help me "slow down" in a sense. Something to take off the edge, make me more care-free, and help put me in a more blissful state where I am able to handle myself socially. Zoloft helped a small amount. Propranolol made things worse. Any advice out there from people with similar problems? :idea

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
paroxetine or lyrica for both depression and anxiety, long term use. Xanax prn for sudden anxiety attacks.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Well medication plays a part here but the bad news is that you will only get to that blissful state to speak of, through changing how you think.

You're essentially asking what medication will fix my social anxiety? None.

Benzodiazepines will hide the physical impact of the anxiety and then wear off - and do nothing to combat your thought patterns. Other medications may be useful in addressing possible chemical imbalances in the brain but the real work is in cognitive restructuring. Namely - completely doing a 180 on how you see the world.

You see, aside from physically harming you, no one can make you feel anything. You create your anxiety all by yourself, you're so good at doing it that you think it has control over you. Find out the root of the anxiety and work on some therapy on changing that.

As for medication, any sensible doctor would go down the SSRI and SSNI route first, with possible benzos when required. No more than 5mg diazepam.

So my evaluation, as a layman, is: 10mg paroxetine rising to 60mg over 3 months, with 14 x 5mg diazepam per week taking as required. And an out-patient referral to Psychiatry.

If you don't get any effect from the paroxetine within 3 months, come back and we'll try escitalopram.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you considered trying the supplement L-Theanine? It's been proven to increase the neurotransmitter GABA, which is the main inhibitor of other overactive neurotransmitters, and your symptoms point to a potenal deficiency. Add that to the fact that it's been drank in tea for 1000s of years with no negative effects (fancy tea from china has up to 50mg per cup, half or a quarter of a normal pill dose) and that it's only $10-20 for a bottle of 60+ 100mg's and you don't have much to lose. Plus no doctor or Rx needed. I would look up symptoms of GABA deficiency and see if they fit, and try L-Theanine if they do. If you need a good brand, pm me. I know of one or two that's pure, cheap and highly rated.

And what ever you try good luck.

Disclamer: I am not a doctor, I have only studied online. I am not responsible for anything that happens as a result of talking my advice.:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for some good advice :). Zoloft had the best results for me so far because it did make me think more positively. It helped me want to better myself rather than just accepting my anxiety as inevitable.

As for the root of my anxiety, that is something I will have to hunt down. I will check out Paxil, Lyrica, Xanax, and Valium with my doctor and see what he thinks. Any other advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If zoloft worked well that means you have low serotonin (very common for people with SA and/or depression) and/or high dopaimine (al ot less common). Try more standard SSRIs before things like Lyrica (which lowers serotonin and raises dopamine).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lyrica works the same way GABA does. It doesen't really raise dopamine, it actually lowers high serotonin, which some studies have shown allows easier intake of other lower nurrotrasmiters, such as dopamine. If you have normal serotonin and low dopamine it won't work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts