Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Self Inflicted Perma Ban
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering trying to get a degree at a community college in the United States, and I've recently been gathering information and stories about other peoples' experiences about it. So I'd like to hear from any Europeans on here that may have actually done this! Whether you guys have any tips, hints, warnings and other advice to share to make the realisation of my plans/dreams go more smoothly, or to just tell about your experiences and what it was like, I'd be happy to read about it.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,377 Posts
Well it's probably going to be very expensive for you. Less than non community colleges though obviously.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I'm considering trying to get a degree at a community college in the United States, and I've recently been gathering information and stories about other peoples' experiences about it. So I'd like to hear from any Europeans on here that may have actually done this! Whether you guys have any tips, hints, warnings and other advice to share to make the realisation of my plans/dreams go more smoothly, or to just tell about your experiences and what it was like, I'd be happy to read about it.
I'am not European..& forgive me if i don't know much..i can only tell you the best i know:yes..i attend a community college here in the States..the one i go to would require you to take a placement exam..which will test your English, Algebra (Likely, Calculus, Basic Algebra, Regular Math) sciences/biology..i think?..then whatever your score..say it's bad, your placed into either a developmental course..(which are not credited) but you will need in order to get into credit classes..if your score is good..you go straight into the credit course..depending on the subject you did well on...i can't say much about price..because it varies..depending on the state in the U.S..you'd be living..but where i live..in state tuition is..$185..& if you have trouble with Paying..there's something they have called "Financial Aid"..which is a loan or a payed employment..to help you with school..but this site may explain it better than i did http://www.nysfaaa.org/docs/student_family/what_is_finaid.html also, this

just my personal advice, don't spend too much time there..that's what ended up happening to me...know what you want to study..you can apply for a Bachelor's or Associate's..the Associate's you get from completing your general requirements at Community College, to get a Bachelor's or Masters..you finish your 2yr..or however long it takes you & transfer to a University, & finish up; or continue into your major..again..i don't know if what i put is helpful..but it's just a small summary that i can give you..but if there's something you don't understand..you can reply me..but overall Community College's here..depending on the state..are a bit more relaxed, & the class sizes are much smaller, no big..huge lecture halls, professor knows your name..it's very intimate & private..again..sorry i'am not European:lol

& here's more info..if you don't get what i'am saying http://www.aacc.nche.edu/AboutCC/Pages/default.aspx

·
Self Inflicted Perma Ban
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's probably going to be very expensive for you. Less than non community colleges though obviously.
That's true. I made an estimate of what it would cost me to live in the States for about a single year, and I end up somewhere between $25.000 and $30.000, all things included. The good news is that my government actually gives out student loans to those that study abroad, which you don't need to pay back if you graduate before a certain time limit. The loans themselves give me enough money each month to fund most of the expenses I should have. And if not, well, I guess I'll have to take a part time job on the side.

I'am not European..& forgive me if i don't know much..i can only tell you the best i know:yes..i attend a community college here in the States..the one i go to would require you to take a placement exam..which will test your English, Algebra (Likely, Calculus, Basic Algebra, Regular Math) sciences/biology..i think?..then whatever your score..say it's bad, your placed into either a developmental course..(which are not credited) but you will need in order to get into credit classes..if your score is good..you go straight into the credit course..depending on the subject you did well on...i can't say much about price..because it varies..depending on the state in the U.S..you'd be living..but where i live..in state tuition is..$185..& if you have trouble with Paying..there's something they have called "Financial Aid"..which is a loan or a payed employment..to help you with school..but this site may explain it better than i did http://www.nysfaaa.org/docs/student_family/what_is_finaid.html also, this

just my personal advice, don't spend too much time there..that's what ended up happening to me...know what you want to study..you can apply for a Bachelor's or Associate's..the Associate's you get from completing your general requirements at Community College, to get a Bachelor's or Masters..you finish your 2yr..or however long it takes you & transfer to a University, & finish up; or continue into your major..again..i don't know if what i put is helpful..but it's just a small summary that i can give you..but if there's something you don't understand..you can reply me..but overall Community College's here..depending on the state..are a bit more relaxed, & the class sizes are much smaller, no big..huge lecture halls, professor knows your name..it's very intimate & private..again..sorry i'am not European:lol

& here's more info..if you don't get what i'am saying http://www.aacc.nche.edu/AboutCC/Pages/default.aspx
Thanks for the information! This is useful and in line with the information i've received from calling to certain helpdesks here in Holland about studying in the US. I knew about the tests and the credit classes/courses. I personally think that's an amazing system, because it allows anyone to grow and have a shot at getting the degree they want. Here in my country it's all very rigid. If you fail, get kicked out for whatever reason and all that, there's only a very limited amount of options you can take to actually get somewhere.

I'm afraid I can't get financial aid in the US if I am already supported by dutch student loans. I asked about whether that would be a possibility, but they told me that if I were to get financial aid in the US, the one here would be discontinued.

Ok so to clear this up, I am elligble to sign up for an Associate's right now. I finished HS in Holland, so that's why. I'd have to first do the Associate's degree if i'm correct, and then follow it up by another 2 years of a Bachelor's degree after transfering. Does that sound right?

So, say I wanted to be a personal trainer, coach, or wanted to work in the pshycology field, what would be the smartest/required course of action? From the sound of it, your classes sound a lot like the high school we know here. Our classes are usually like around 30 people.

Another question I have is about student rates. Someone told me that if you want to rent an appartment, and that appartment is in proximity to a college, they will sometimes give discounts to students. Now i'm wondering if this is a nationwide thing, or if it's only in certain areas/states? Maybe that's not really an answerable question, because like you said, the prices and cost of things seem to differ a lot state by state anyway.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to link me the stuff, and type all of that out, even if you're not European lol!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
That's true. I made an estimate of what it would cost me to live in the States for about a single year, and I end up somewhere between $25.000 and $30.000, all things included. The good news is that my government actually gives out student loans to those that study abroad, which you don't need to pay back if you graduate before a certain time limit. The loans themselves give me enough money each month to fund most of the expenses I should have. And if not, well, I guess I'll have to take a part time job on the side.

Thanks for the information! This is useful and in line with the information i've received from calling to certain helpdesks here in Holland about studying in the US. I knew about the tests and the credit classes/courses. I personally think that's an amazing system, because it allows anyone to grow and have a shot at getting the degree they want. Here in my country it's all very rigid. If you fail, get kicked out for whatever reason and all that, there's only a very limited amount of options you can take to actually get somewhere.

I'm afraid I can't get financial aid in the US if I am already supported by dutch student loans. I asked about whether that would be a possibility, but they told me that if I were to get financial aid in the US, the one here would be discontinued.

Ok so to clear this up, I am elligble to sign up for an Associate's right now. I finished HS in Holland, so that's why. I'd have to first do the Associate's degree if i'm correct, and then follow it up by another 2 years of a Bachelor's degree after transfering. Does that sound right?

So, say I wanted to be a personal trainer, coach, or wanted to work in the pshycology field, what would be the smartest/required course of action? From the sound of it, your classes sound a lot like the high school we know here. Our classes are usually like around 30 people.

Another question I have is about student rates. Someone told me that if you want to rent an appartment, and that appartment is in proximity to a college, they will sometimes give discounts to students. Now i'm wondering if this is a nationwide thing, or if it's only in certain areas/states? Maybe that's not really an answerable question, because like you said, the prices and cost of things seem to differ a lot state by state anyway.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to link me the stuff, and type all of that out, even if you're not European lol!
Well to answer your first question...if you wanted to get into Personal Training or Psychology..1.) Physical Education would be a major for personal training..& also something called Kinesiology..(I believe it means the study of muscles..i just looked it up) anyways to answer your question....and again..i'm not sure if my answer might be helpful..but for physical-ed..you would need an Associate's in that..which you get at the Community College..then..if you want a Bachelor's in that you would transfer to a four year program (University)..plus meeting the "General Studies" requirement from the Community Colleges..i believe a University will ask about your "General Studies"..i think the same applies..if your doing Psychology..you'd get your Associate's..or "General Studies"..then you transfer over to a four year school..& your credits need to be at least..24 ..& your GPA..should be at most..a 2.0..no less than..but again..maybe my info is shaky..so i don't know if i have all the right information..but here's some info on Associate's & other's http://www.topuniversities.com/blog/what-associates-degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor's_degree

I didn't mention..this..heck maybe you already know..but depending on the major, some may require higher degree's than other's..the highest is a Master's Degree.

in terms of student apartments...yeah..it depends on the state:yes...where i live..the Community College doesn't do student housing:no...it's basically what it's name stands for..Community College:yes...so parents/older people going back to school etc...but some states..the meaning is different..& there's residence of students..like off campus housing:yes..but i'm not sure of the cost of those..i haven't done research..but this is an example..say if my typing might be jibber jabber:lol https://www.kirkwood.edu/housing

·
Self Inflicted Perma Ban
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well to answer your first question...if you wanted to get into Personal Training or Psychology..1.) Physical Education would be a major for personal training..& also something called Kinesiology..(I believe it means the study of muscles..i just looked it up) anyways to answer your question....and again..i'm not sure if my answer might be helpful..but for physical-ed..you would need an Associate's in that..which you get at the Community College..then..if you want a Bachelor's in that you would transfer to a four year program (University)..plus meeting the "General Studies" requirement from the Community Colleges..i believe a University will ask about your "General Studies"..i think the same applies..if your doing Psychology..you'd get your Associate's..or "General Studies"..then you transfer over to a four year school..& your credits need to be at least..24 ..& your GPA..should be at most..a 2.0..no less than..but again..maybe my info is shaky..so i don't know if i have all the right information..but here's some info on Associate's & other's http://www.topuniversities.com/blog/what-associates-degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor's_degree

I didn't mention..this..heck maybe you already know..but depending on the major, some may require higher degree's than other's..the highest is a Master's Degree.

in terms of student apartments...yeah..it depends on the state:yes...where i live..the Community College doesn't do student housing:no...it's basically what it's name stands for..Community College:yes...so parents/older people going back to school etc...but some states..the meaning is different..& there's residence of students..like off campus housing:yes..but i'm not sure of the cost of those..i haven't done research..but this is an example..say if my typing might be jibber jabber:lol https://www.kirkwood.edu/housing
Thanks a bunch for answering the questions! And i'm sorry for only replying just now. I've been fairly busy with stuff the past few days, so that's why i'm late with it. I really appreciate it, and i'll definitely take a look at the sites you linked me. I have another question right there, about the sponsorship one needs to have to apply for a community college. How does this work, who could be my sponsor, that sort of thing?

That being said, if there's any people from the EU that did the whole studying in the US, I would still love to hear from you guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts