Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Anxiety-Naturally-With-Foods

What I found interesting in particular was the mention of chamomile, kava, and valerian.

I used to be an avid drug enthusiast(or addict if you wish) and found myself browsing drug-forums.com which has a lot of information about things I never even knew about. Ethnobotanicals drew my interest.

One tea I've tried was a chamomile tea that contained valerian root. Valerian tends to interact with the GABA neurotransmitter receptor system. That would be the same system that benzodiazepines interact with. It doesn't produce nearly the same effect as say xanax or klonopin but I did feel it gave me a very slightly similar feeling. Drinking enough of that tea or taking valerian straight should be quite effective for something you don't need a script for.

I've also enjoyed Kratom which can be bought online or at some head shops. It will have highly varying levels of effectiveness and strength but the kratom I've tried that was strong, was very nice. It produces an effect more similar to hydrocodone, suboxone, or opiates in general. Again this is quite a strong plant for something legal that doesn't need a prescription. It did seem to be much stronger than valerian as well.

I haven't tried Kava yet and don't know when/if I will. Anyone that has tried it should share their experience with it.

I wouldn't suggest building a dependence on these substances but they do help me relax so it might help some of the people here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh believe me I know it's not a solution for disorders by any means. Just like how exercise releases endorphans, these plants can be a bit calming sometimes even if it won't fix anxiety or depression.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I can see them having a place as something to augment a healthy lifestyle, being used in conjunction with such things as exercise, nutrition, sleep hygiene, stress management etc. But I definitely agree that on their own, they are not going to be very effective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts