Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work a job that is partially commission based. It's terrible and I hate it, but it's not like there's jobs growing on trees these days. One of my issues with it is that lying to customers in varying degrees is a very common practice. It ranges from the more-or-less inconsequential (inventing personal stories to gain rapport with customers), the sketchy (exaggerating the standard price to make the discounted price seem better than it is) to the egregious (claiming that the purchase will qualify them for a fictional 40% discount in the future).

The thing is, my job is competitive. I need to outsell the people offering fictional discounts (or other false promises I won't bother to detail) because business is slow and hours are being cut. When that happens they send us home based on the rankings and my average numbers are really no longer cutting it. Some of the lies are so common that it's hard to remember they're not policy, but I don't intend to take up the habit. I don't want to sound defeatist, but I don't see myself improving my rankings when that's what I'm up against. I'm not even naturally comfortable dealing with customers this much at all, it surprised me I was even pulling my own weight to begin with. The position is way out of my comfort zone even aside from all this stuff.

I guess this is venting more than anything because I doubt there's a solution beyond finding another place to work (maybe not much longer). Anyone else feel that their job pushes them towards doing anything shady?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
This is the reason I don't like working in sales. Every kind of marketing is false marketing. We're supposed to present the product in a better light than it is; we're supposed to make the customer feel like they need it (when they don't). For now I'm OK doing this, but eventually I'd like to work in a different kind of field.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I don't think I could reconcile this type of job with my conscience and personality, so I'd probably start looking for something else.

·
Registered
249 Posts
that sounds awful. wish i had some useful advice for you, but all i can do is sympathize. don't those people get in trouble when the customers come back expecting some discount? it seems like if they could prove they were being lied to directly they could sue the company, or at the very least get their money back...

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
This is why I hated selling memberships in the gym. We had to do straight up lies like this and one time this old couple worked out the supposedly monthly rate and clocked us and I had to say that was a joining fee. I fealt like poop, disgusted in myself. They made us do things like that all of the time. I just ended up saying the real monthly equivalents to people. Sales was a part of the job but thankfully not the job and largely dependant on the customers walking in themselves, not us approaching them. The horrible cheasy courtesy calls and telephone, sales scripts they made us do. In the end I just didn't do it.

I feel truely sorry for any people with morals who work directly in sales and have to do this.

Get another job. You obviously have a conscience and this role directly conflicts with that. You won't be happy there so stop torturing youself and find something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.