Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read his books and find out why...the truth has been spoken! His books are my new bible...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good for you bro-share some great bullet points you found helpful please!

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are so many good quotes to pick from, here are just a few:

1. The psychological condition of fear is divorced from any concrete and true immediate danger. It comes in many forms: unease, worry, anxiety, nervousness, tension, dread, phobia, and so on. This kind of psychological fear is always of something that might happen, not of something that is happening now.

2. What you refer to as your "life" should more accurately be called your "life situation." It is psychological time: past and future. Certain things in the past didn't go the way you wanted them to go. You are still resisting what happened in the past and now you are resisting what is. Hope is what keeps you going, but hope keeps you focused on the future, and this continued focus perpetuates your denial of the NOW and therefore your unhappiness.
Forget about your life situation for awhile and pay attention to your life. Your life situation exists in time. Your life is NOW. Your life situation is Mind-Stuff. Your life is REAL.

3. All inner resistance is experienced as negativity in one form or another. All negativity is resistance. In this context, the two words are almost synonymous.
Negativity ranges from irritation or impatience to fierce anger, from a depressed mood or sullen resentment to suicidal despair. Sometimes the resistance triggers the emotional pain body…The ego believes that through negativity it can manipulate reality and get what it wants.... The fact is, of course, that negativity does not work. Instead of attracting a desirable condition, it stops it from arising. Instead of dissolving an undesirable one, it keeps it in place.
Once you have identified with some form of negativity, you do not want to let it go, and on a deeply unconscious level, you do not want positive change. It would threaten your identity as a depressed, angry or hard-done-by person. You will then ignore, deny or sabotage the positive in your life. This is a common phenomenon. It is also insane.

4. Transcending the world does not mean to withdraw from the world, to no longer take action, or to stop interacting with people. Transcendence of the world is to act and to interact without any self-seeking. In other words, it means to act without seeking to enhance one's sense of self through one's actions or one's interactions with people. Ultimately, it means not needing the future anymore for one's fulfillment or for one's sense of self or being. There is no seeking through doing, seeking an enhanced, more fulfilled, or greater sense of self in the world. When that seeking isn't there anymore, then you can be in the world but not be of the world. You are no longer seeking for anything to identify with out there.

(All quotes are from Erkhart Tolle's The Power of Now, except quote 4 which is from an interview with What is Enlightenment? magazine)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Profound:) A wonderful paradigm of reality! I dig it...

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think Tolle would find you calling him a God funny. Though his philosophy is really nothing new mostly the essense of many different philosophies, religions, spiritual paths boiled down for the layman. A course in miracles, the upanishads, the bible, the writings of Meister Eckhart, etc.

I like the message but find it hard to actually follow through with it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Big up for seeking knowledge, i respect that and believe that truth is everywhere, its up to us to find where the fullness of truth lies!-opinion

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just read the Power of Now. It's really great. But I agree with screwjack, these are not Tolle's original ideas. They have been presented by many people before, first one probably being Buddha. Nevertheless, Tolle doesn't claim that he has some unique knowledge. He quotes a lot from buddhist texts, bible etc.

If you like Tolle, I also recommend reading Anthony de Mello's Awareness. Pretty much the same ideas, but a more interesting presentation.

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Tolle would find you calling him a God funny.

I know, I realized this immediately after I wrote it...sorry Tolle!

Though his philosophy is really nothing new mostly the essense of many different philosophies, religions, spiritual paths boiled down for the layman. A course in miracles, the upanishads, the bible, the writings of Meister Eckhart, etc.

I agree...

I like the message but find it hard to actually follow through with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OMG!! I just got on this forum after several weeks of absense due to being busy.

I was just about to post about Tolle and all of his great books when I see: Eckhart Tolle is GOD! I was so happy about this.

For everyone out there, I just started reading his book "A Near Earth" and it talks about how, many of the thoughts going inside your head are not actually from you, but from your ego. And your ego controls you and puts all these negative thoughts into your head. Being aware of this ego can set yourself free.

After reading just the first few sections I have been able to see my social anxiety in a different perspective and I feel it has improved by a lot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i was just about to create this same topic, i'm reading TPON myself and it's really really great and has helped me alot. it hasn't cured my SA by any means, but now i only get it WHEN i'm actually in a situation that causes me to have SA (like meeting new people or shopping for clothes) i dont ponder what MIGHT happen or think about things that HAVE happened anymore, which is a great help cause that was so emotionally draining. whether he came up with his own technique or just borrowed from other techniques to make his book, i have to thank Eckhard Tolle for helping me. It's a great book and i suggest anyone struggling with SA to read it as i'm sure it'll help at least a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree, I'm listening to Tolle's Power of Now audiobook and it's great. It's helpful immediately for me and has the potential to be very helpful with more practice in the future.

I'd encourage others to try it also, I prefer the audiobook myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I lived in Vancouver, BC, Canada when Eckhart Tolle had just had his first book the power of now published, saw him a number of times in small venue presentations. I didn't get that turned on to him then, I have recently had quite a turn around.

I saw him giving a talk on PBS and either he is better at his presentation(s) or I'm more receptive, which ever I found him extreamely interesting, I have since checked out from my local library a talk series called "The Flowering Of Human Consciousness" which I have watched a number of times..... now what he is presenting is proably not different from other teachers threw the ages, it's just that he is here now and for a portion of people, including me now, his teaching/message makes sense and has relativeness to me now.....

As for him being God, I cringe alittle about that, I would say perhaps more like Bhudda, a person who relized release from the anxieties/drama/fears/desires of the thinking mind....ie the ego.....

I'm quite happy to have connected with his teaching/message now, as I think it is good for me now!!!!

It is neat that there are also people here that are finding his teaching/message valuable...

JohnH
Blessings Be

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh God. I read some of his stuff a while back and found it to be a bit much, even thouh usually i'm at least a bit receptive to that sort of thing. Maybe I've changed. Don't get caught up in the trap of obsessiveness. The whole point of these philosophies is to let things come naturally, to just be who you are. I find it amusing/sad that many people get caught up in these books and follow them way too exactly, which defeats the original (at least stated) purpose of the authors.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
OMG!! I just got on this forum after several weeks of absense due to being busy.

I was just about to post about Tolle and all of his great books when I see: Eckhart Tolle is GOD! I was so happy about this.

For everyone out there, I just started reading his book "A Near Earth" and it talks about how, many of the thoughts going inside your head are not actually from you, but from your ego. And your ego controls you and puts all these negative thoughts into your head. Being aware of this ego can set yourself free.

After reading just the first few sections I have been able to see my social anxiety in a different perspective and I feel it has improved by a lot.
while this entire video is very entertaining from about 6:00 to the end joe rogan (host of fear factor) talks about your ego and basically has some very interesting thoughts on humanity. check it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eckhart Tolle is a brilliant writer and clarifier of ideas.His ideas are nothing new but no one before him has been able to explain those ideas in such a way that the general public can relate to and understand.

·
Banned
7,511 Posts
I thought he had a lot of interesting thoughts. Alot of it just rehashed from traditional philosophy.

But despite all the sage thoughts, there didn't seem to be a clear pathway on how to use this information to better thy self.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I started reading 'The Power of NOW' in the psych ward and found some of what he had to say very helpful. I'm trying to finish the book, but it's hard to read at times.

I've never fully bought into spirituality or enlightenment or a lot of self-help mumbo jumbo, but there is certainly some helpful stuff in the book in regards to dwelling on the past, letting go of anxiety and fear, etc.

I'm trying to pick and choose the relevant lessons from the book without getting bogged down in the spirituality side of things. It's gone well, I find myself able to completely let go of the past and regret, as well as the way I view the future.

It can be especially hard to take the book seriously if you regularly look at the picture of Eckhart Tolle on the back. I laugh at him every time. He looks like a 6 year old in a men's sized business suit.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I read his The Power of Now book and found it interesting but hard to actually put into practice. The one part I don't get was how he go so depressed that his mind rejected his ego and then after that he did nothing for a few days, he says something like that in his book, I don't really know how much I believe that.

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
I believe Eckhart Tolle's teachings have had an impact on my life. I try to spent at least a few minutes each day in a state of Presence. Breathing awareness really helps with that. I used to own the audiobook version of The Power of Now and have read A New Earth twice over.

·
Just me being me
1,124 Posts
I think Tolle would counter, "We're all God." Once you free yourself from your egoic mind you have the power to do and be all things.

Here's another vote for Tolle. When I first read him it was the book entitled "A New Earth." Someone (I think Oprah Winfrey) had recommended it but it didn't resonate with me at the time. I few months later I picked up a copy of "The Power of Now" and I was really blown away by how he explains the ego and how our identification with our minds is actually a form of insanity.

This perspective taught me to think of myself as being separate from my mind which allows you to stand outside of your thoughts and view them objectively.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts