Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did anyone had this feeling like when we're in a class siting alone and the rest of the peoples is talking and chit-chatting happily and you just feel like "ah,i wished i'm like him or her." or "i wished i can be him or her."like we're so envious or our classmates or friends that we wished our SA'll gone and we can just be like them.the other situation is when your friends is talking about his/her relationship you'll be thinking "i wished i had one too."

this always happen to me esp the first situation.the second one only happen sometimes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
did anyone had this feeling like when we're in a class siting alone and the rest of the peoples is talking and chit-chatting happily and you just feel like "ah,i wished i'm like him or her." or "i wished i can be him or her."like we're so envious or our classmates or friends that we wished our SA'll gone and we can just be like them.the other situation is when your friends is talking about his/her relationship you'll be thinking "i wished i had one too."

this always happen to me esp the first situation.the second one only happen sometimes.
When I'm around a couple or am involved in conversation about relationships, I do pretty well at keeping myself from imagining what it'd be like for me in one. I just know too well that only bad things will come from that kind of fantasizing. I haven't really been around people I envy in a long time, either. I know how great of a person I am and don't wish to be anyone else.. But then again, I'm never around people similar to me.. If I was, and the other person was doing better in life than me, I'd be jealous for sure.

Maybe you should befriend those people you envy and find out what they're doing that works for them? I know, if making friends was magically easy for us, then nobody would be on these forums XP.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
I hated when everyone in class would be talking with each other because that's when I knew for sure that I was alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ya..this girl that i sorta-dont directly work with is so sociable, knows how to talk to people, smile, says hi to random people, carefree, make people feel at ease/welcome......such beautiful qualities i hope to obtain myself.

·
Lost
275 Posts
I hated when everyone in class would be talking with each other because that's when I knew for sure that I was alone.
Ugh I agree with you here.

I hate when I'm out with a group of people and they all seem to get along so easily with eachother. It's like I know I am part of the group, like as in they'd always include me; but at the same time, I feel so alone. Usually I'm stuck (and this is my own fault, by the way) standing just outside the circle with nothing interesting to say :blank

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah, i get that feeling of being envious all the time when i'm around people. This may or may not be relevant to the OP's topic but one time i went with my friend and some "not so much friends" to the local state fair (we all knew eachother from high school) and one of my "friends" saw one of her friends that she knew from our school. Then, my "friend" started to introduce us to her friend and once she got to introducing me to the girl that she knew, my "friend" said, " oh and this is simmons... she's just there". and even though i smiled at the time and tried to hide my embarassment, i felt broken by that comment. but at least the rest of the group didnt laugh, they pretty much just patronized me:(

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I went to a friend's wedding today and there were a lot of other friends also there and going there was a big mistake. All the people I know (most of them are much much younger than me) turned up with their partners/ spouses and some of the partners of my friends gave me the strangest looks. I had trouble keeping a straight face and smiling because I was feeling rather childlishly let down deep inside.

I imagined that my dress looked horrible and felt bad about the way I sat there clueless when the others were talking, laughing and having a good time. Some of them even asked me when I was going to get married (none of their buisness but they happen to be my friends so ...) Anyway I came back to work right after lunch feeling ashamed that a friend offered to drop me since I didn't have a car.

So I understand your misery :(

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yeah I hate it when everyone else seems to be in a group and I feel left out. I travel on a work's bus to my job, and even though I know everyone on the bus to talk to individually, I can't do it when i'm on the bus. I sit near the back and just keep quiet, reading my book, while everyone else is talking to each other.

And I feel you on the relationship one as well. Everyone I know (family and at work) are in relationships, and i'm on my own. I hate hearing about their partners as it just reminds me of how lonely I am. I especially hate it when they complain about their "other halves" (i don't know why but I hate this saying). I think at least you've got someone, and if you don't like them why are you with them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ugh I agree with you here.

I hate when I'm out with a group of people and they all seem to get along so easily with eachother. It's like I know I am part of the group, like as in they'd always include me; but at the same time, I feel so alone. Usually I'm stuck (and this is my own fault, by the way) standing just outside the circle with nothing interesting to say :blank
yeah i know what you mean... Even when the group gravitates to starting the conversation where I am, I have no idea what to say and just pretend to laugh while everyone else is joking around and having fun and im just silent

·
Lost
275 Posts
yeah i know what you mean... Even when the group gravitates to starting the conversation where I am, I have no idea what to say and just pretend to laugh while everyone else is joking around and having fun and im just silent
Uh huh. It's just like that with me too. I pretend to give a damn about the conversation topic, but most of the time I'm barely even listening. Sometimes I find it hard to fake a laugh or even a smile when I'm not even following what's being said :blank

I wish my mind would settle down and let me concentrate more on what's going on around me instead of making me over-analyze things too much.

·
Lost
275 Posts
When I see all those happy social butterflies
No, I don't envy them,
I just wish that they catch SA and suffer as I do.
That's one way to think of it, I suppose. :um

As far as I'm aware though, SA isn't contagious :sus :b
I think I'd rather rid myself and everyone else of it than shift it onto someone else.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Yeah, happens a lot. I fantasize about being someone else all the time. And not even like a rock star or anything, just a freaking normal person.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I always felt nervous and envious in class--all through high school and especially college. I never liked arriving early for class, since that meant I'd have to sit there while everyone around me chatted like they'd known each other forever. I felt so uncomfortable, so sad, and incredibly inadequate. I felt like a total loser. What the hell was wrong with me? I was unable to talk to my fellow students and make friends. What a waste... I missed a lot of classes because of this. I don't know how I managed to graduate with a B+ average.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I get burned with the relationship thing. I will be 34 next week - I am not getting any younger.

I am making big strides, but it is better for me to just have friends right now and build myself up.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
Yeah, happens a lot. I fantasize about being someone else all the time. And not even like a rock star or anything, just a freaking normal person.
Yeah me too. I don't want to be anyone special, I just want to be someone that can successfully interact socially

·
Registered
604 Posts
I suffer from permanent envy lol. If I see a couple in the streets-I leer at them. If I see a group of friends having fun-I feel upset. I am jealous of just about everyone. On facebook if I see some people I know partying or having fun I feel totally worthless. In class I wonder how people are able to strike up conversation so easily.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Happened a lot. But then, I looked around and chances are, there's someone else avoiding the chit-chat... maybe even someone that also has SA!

Trust me tho, I can relate. But the only advice I can give you is to ignore the little voice in your head. Life is too precious, you can waste your time on jealousy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts