Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know any good end of the world type books? The Stand by Stephen King is my all time favorite....Lucifer's Hammer is another good book, but I want more! Any recommendations?

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
The Taking by Dean Koontz!!! Scariest book I've ever read!!! There's always War Of The Worlds.. it's almost an end of the world book :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Swan Song by Robert McCammon. It's kind of like The Stand. The Rising and City of the Dead by Brian Keene. Armageddon by David Drake is a series of short stories about end of the world scenarios.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recently read Good Omens by Neil Gaimen and Terry Pratchett. It's sort of a humorous telling of the apocalypse. I enjoyed it a lot. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't think anything can beat The Stand.

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
I LOVE end of the world books and movies....The freedom and anarchy to do anything, the struggle to survive, as civilization and the rule of law collapses around you....The Stand is excellent, but Lucifer's Hammer by Niven/Pournelle is simply outstanding!! I have read that probably 3 times....It grapples with all of the Doomsday issues like no cops, food, power, religious cults, vigilantes etc...It is an Armageddon/Deep Impact sotry that really details what happens to people in such an end of the world scenario....I have read Childhood's End which was good, and The Taking by Koontz which I was really disappointed by....The Taking didn't know if it wanted to be a horror novel or a scifi novel, so it fails in both genres....The Mist by Stephen King is a real fun, end of the world novella set in a Supermarket, with the customers trapped in there while a strange mist with monsterous creatures in it envelops their world....It is widely available in audio book format among certain P2P sites....It can also be found in his Skeleton Crew book of short stories...Earth Abides by George R. Stewart is a pretty good end of the world book about a few people starting over after a plague wipes out most of the population....About a lone guy trying to pick up the pieces with some friends....Not too exciting or violent though....The Rift by Walter J. Williams is a really fun disaster novel about a giganitc earthquake that wipes out and floods most of middle America....A very good novel.....I am Legend is a 50's scifi/horror novel by Richard Matheson....It is the book that was the basis for Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth, and The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston.It also inspired the young Koontz, King etc. to write horror novels.
Matheson also was involved in the Kolchak: The Night Stalker movies and TV show....I am Legend is about a worldwide plague that turns all of humanity into vampire like zombies except for one man....He hunts them during the day, then holds up in his house, while they hunt him at night.A fun but dated novel about the end of the world....I would get The Mist, The Rift, and Swan Song if you havent already read them....All cost about 6 or 8 bucks, and are widely available....Anyone who hasn't read Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle should definitely do so....The best darn end of the world book that you will ever read....The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber is the best horror novel that I have ever, ever read....Hands down....It is a 1978 paperback that you can only buy used...
It is not an end of the world novel, but about about two NY City Homicide Detectives investigating the brutal murder of 2 cops....The Detectives end up discovering sentient packs of wolves that feed on humanity's homeless and outcasts, which are the basis for the legends of werewolves....It is a game of cat and mouse between the 2 cops and the Wolfen in a dark, gray, wintry, New York City filled with cathedral like libraries, Central Park etc...A fantastic book from page one to the end, for people that never read it....Don't judge it by the horrible movie that was based on this teriffic novel....The original Dawn of the Dead movie, 1978 by George Romero, is also a great end of the world movie for those that have not seen it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts