Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a new PD last week and I mentioned Parnate to him. He said that he thought MAOI's worked very well but that he would put me on Emsam and not Parnate because you don't have the food restrictions on Emsam. Has anyone tried Emsam?

I also looked it up online and saw that there are no food restrictions at a dose of 6 mgs/day. This seems like a rather small dose.

Has anyone tried both Emsam and Parnate? Not together of course...

·
Registered
550 Posts
tomorrow i am going to start with Deanxit. if this drug won"t work i want to try selegiline as my last resort because nardil is not avaliable here and i am so tired of stupid useless ssri"s. i struggle with depression and anxiety more than 12 years.

can anybody share their experience with selegiline for severe depression and anxiety (extra low energy, motivation, anhedonia, apathy, fatigue). so far i found this:

"Selegiline is a partially selective (MAO-B) inhibitor. At the doses prescribed for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, up to 10 mg/day, there is no need for the patient to avoid tyramine-containing foods. When 40 mg/day is prescribed in divided doses, there is inhibition of both MAO-A and MAO-B, and an antidepressant effect is often noted."
Selegiline is a good antidepressant. "

"Doses use to treat depression, unlike those for Parkinsons's disease, are in the 40 to 60 mg per day range. I give selegiline to my depressed patients all the time, usually in the 15 to 30 mg bid range. I start at no more than 5 mg bid and work up slowly. What you must be sure to tell your patient is that at these higher doses selegiline becomes non-selective and can produce a full blown MAOI food reaction, just as any MAOI can."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.