Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone played it? Good? Not good?

It's on for half price right now and I'm bored as hell. It's tempting, but even at 50% off it's still $25 and I'm cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is good if you are into those types of complex games. A lot of people aren't though. I take it you've never played any of the Total War games.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I played Shogun back in the day, and it was okay. I'm not usually a fan of RTS games (I like turn-based, so I can take my time), but they can be good when done well, and I understand that there's a lot more to it than just that.

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
You don't have to fight the battles if you don't want to. I wish my computer could handle Empire: Total War. I played shogun and rome total war for hundreds of hours. Great games.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't play Shogun. I played Rome, Medieval 2, and Empires. All the management is turn based but the fighting is real time in those games. I assumed Shogun was the same but I don't know.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I broke down and bought it. Now I just have to wait for the damned thing to download.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Haven't played it yet but it looks awesome.

Medieval 2 was the first Total War game I played and I loved it. One of the few games I bought last year that I felt I genuinely got my moneys worth.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've played all the Total War games including Empire. Empire is really the only game I've played for the past couple months.

I truly think it's a brilliant game. A friend of mine always struggled with battles in Medieval, but he had a much better time in Empire for some reason. My only complaint is that I think naval battles are a waste of time, and I always autoresolve them. They do look pretty, though.

Note before you get too deep into it that there's a patch coming out on Monday.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I've played Rome and Barbarian invasion. Both were pretty good and addictive. I might get Empire though I'm really trying to cut back the time I spend on games. The screenshots for it remind me a little of American conquest but with better graphics.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I like Empire Total War, the only thing I dislike is that the RTS bits could be difficult to control since the interface doesn't make it easy to move around the map.

·
ΔX
3,179 Posts
I heard Empire: Total War is buggy as hell. I tried Medieval 2 and liked the complexity. Only problem with Medieval 2 was that I was consistently bored. I found the atmosphere was just dull. On the other hand Rome:Total War did a great job at making you feel like Caesar waging war. In Medieval 2 I remember playing as the English and I always got the impression that they were going to go relax and drink tea by the tone of their unit responses. In Rome: Total War, when you select and order a unit to attack they respond with vigor, usually screaming, "Unleash Hell!"

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I played it for a bit this afternoon and it's okay. It reminds me of Birth of America/Europa Universalis except you get to control the battles. And I've run into a few things, but I'm not sure if they're bugs or if I'm just missing something.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have it. I don't think Empire is a 5-star game, like some gaming sites claim. It's certainly better than Medieval II, possibly because it has a superior "atmosphere", as Qolselanu mentioned.

The battle AI in Empire is significantly better than in previous games. I was really pleased by that. Ultimately, however, I was disappointed by the strategic AI. The AI simply cannot mount any kind of coordinated offensive. In fact, although I played three campaigns, I don't think a major power ever attacked me on land. Only the Cherokee and Pirates.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If anyone here is interested in playing a Total War online, you're free to PM me! I have all the games from Rome to Shogun 2.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
I have Medieval 2, and I own Empire but I haven't played it. Love Medieval 2 though. I need to get Rome, Napoleon, and Shogun 2.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I find all games to be very good, but I've enjoyed most time playing Rome. I guess I favour the time period and it has many great mods available.

How good are you?
I've never played online... always figured I'd get whipped badly.
Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 I'm most used to.
I'm not too good, but I tend to play online so I'm not a beginner. I'm also up for team matches if you or anyone else are interested in playing.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Haven't played it yet but it looks awesome.

Medieval 2 was the first Total War game I played and I loved it. One of the few games I bought last year that I felt I genuinely got my moneys worth.
Get yourself on TWCenter and grab yourself a copy of Kingdoms. Install it - play it if you wish but I wouldn't bother, and on TWC go onto Stainless Steel Mod and download it. Well worth it, one of the most successful mods on the TW franchise there is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get yourself on TWCenter and grab yourself a copy of Kingdoms. Install it - play it if you wish but I wouldn't bother, and on TWC go onto Stainless Steel Mod and download it. Well worth it, one of the most successful mods on the TW franchise there is.
Right when you said "grab a copy of Kingdoms" I thought "I must add to this post by telling them to download Stainless Steel to go with it" :D

Stainless Steel is awesome... I'm stuck on either 6.1 or 6.2 though, I forget, because I cannot find a mass unit editor that works. I spent so many hours manually adjusting unit costs to where armies are vastly more expensive than default. I also made a few other simple tweaks that make the single player campaign so much more to my taste... mostly to do with making each AI faction more balanced in preventing one from steamrolling all the weaker factions. I love it when a game makes it easy to tweak things like that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts