Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this mean to you?

what is an example of emotional intelligence? Is this something that a person can build?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
To me it means that you can read people's facial expressions well. You can instantly tell what type of mood someone is in. You're very clued into people even if they don't think they are revealing themselves. You can probably tell when people are lying as well.

I'm sure it's possible to build it, but being a woman is helpful to say the least in having emotional intelligence.

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Double Idemntity, do you believe that emotional intelligence has any reference to how aware one is of their own emotional states?

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,403 Posts
Emotional intelligence- the ability to perceive how others are feeling and how they would feel given certain circumstances. Apparently if you have high emotional intelligence you're very aware of your own feelings and how to deal with them and all that stuff. It often means you're open to affection and various other emotional states that involved some sort of vulnerability. However being emotional doesn't necessarily mean emotionally intelligent. Sometimes I can't tell left from right, how people feel in a situation or when they're talking about stories of friends of another friend, it all seems foreign to me.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I thoroughly believe that emotional intelligence can be learned, and is in fact a learned skill.

·
Banned
360 Posts
It is definitely something that can be built, because as we gradually gain experience we learn to better influence our own emotions through our thoughts and actions. So, it could be easier to be more receptive to others' emotions when our own emotional state is in balance.

Nevertheless, you build those skills on a ready-made genetic make-up; thus for some it seems to be easier than for others.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I posit that it is what is taught to a child, in the home, from the time they are born that makes the difference.
So, it is a learned skill. That's just my opinion on the matter, of course.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I posit that it is what is taught to a child, in the home, from the time they are born that makes the difference.
So, it is a learned skill. That's just my opinion on the matter, of course.
I think that children of a certain age reach a point in their cognitive development, where they especially become more aware of others' feelings and learn to associate them with different facial expressions mainly through their interactions with other people. But I do agree that a lot of it is taught from home, which strengthens emotional intelligence. I think there must be a biological component to it though, because for example, kids with autism tend to have low scores for emotional intelligence and have difficulty reading other people's faces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts