Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was with my best friend Laura last night, and I noticed something: That I saw the world around me in a whole different light, everything was brighter, happier, everything felt in it's place, like where I left off in life before SA took over, it was magnificent. Everything was alright. I feel this sometimes when i'm with other people too. Not to sound that when I'm not with someone, everything's depressing, bc actually i'm quite optimistic, but it makes my world alone seem so grey.
I was reading Anxiety and Depression for Dummies I picked up @ Rite Aid the other day, and it was talking about the causes of anxiety. What caught my eye was the "Parenting" side of it. My parents were both overprotective, and, overlycontrolling (in my opinion), maybe not to a huge extent but more than they should've, fostering some sort of dependancy and (whatever the opposite of fostering is, insert that word here) independance. I know this for a fact bc I'm attachy in a way, and well, I just know myself :p
Anywho The problem is that I'm trying to become independant, emotionally, if that makes sense. I want to be able to feel secure (well secure-er than I do now) by myself, to be able to see the world more vividly like I do with friends, but with myself whenever I go somewhere alone. It's wierd, because I've made so much slow, but sure progress in my social anxiety, yet feeling that last night, it felt that I was miles and miles away, further than I could've imagined from where I needed to be and it was very discouraging. Since then I've slept and woke up pretty early, pretty much fresh so I've pretty much rebuilt myself since then. I guess I just want to know if anyone else knows what i'm talking about? Has anyone felt that before like I have? Like occasionally feeling like nothing was ever wrong and that everything was so much brighter, like seen the light? Or experience exactly how I felt by being with some people? Idk, I just want someone to relate, i'm curious. And also maybe tips on how to foster independace within myself (that would be nice too :))

·
Banned
133 Posts
Like occasionally feeling like nothing was ever wrong and that everything was so much brighter, like seen the light? Or experience exactly how I felt by being with some people? Idk, I just want someone to relate, i'm curious. And also maybe tips on how to foster independace within myself (that would be nice too :))
Yes, I have felt this way before and I feel this way more often now. You have a pretty good ability to pay attention to your internal guide. It is telling you that you are doing the right things and are moving in the right direction - great work! Keep doing what it is that you are doing! You should be ENCOURAGED by what it is that you are doing! Security comes with time and practice. It is built by handling tough situations on your own, but remember no one is completely independent; all people need some level of help from other people many times in their lives, and it is important that you ask for help from others. Ask for advice or whatever you need, but as long as you are taking the steps and not letting someone else take steps for you, you are doing the right thing and will be okay!

Just keep taking those risks that you need to take to build your confidence, and have friends help cheer you up when you are having a tough time! Great work! You are on the right path!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts