Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty sure this isnt a new topic but Ive been feeling deprived. Like Im lacking some kind of emotional nourishment so Ill tend to turn to food to cope. Does anyone else feel embarrased to go out eat in public or feel guilty when eating a lot for comfort or hide from people>?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Maven!

I too used to binge and eat a lot to fulfill that emotional void / sense of lacking. When I do this my self esteem goes to zero and I stay in the house all day. I do the same thing with cigs and used to do with drugs as well. When your in that rut its really hard to get out. Its really a bad downward spiral because after you binge you feel like crap afterwords, then a couple hours later that feeling of crap makes you binge again. All for a couple minutes of satisfaction that the food brings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OH YEAH! this is so true for me.... I have been binge eating for like more than 10 years surprisingly enough I am not super overweight although I look at myself that way. I have always been chubby but lately I have just let go and have been eating like HORRIBLY BAD and I have gained quite some weight I feel so disgusted with myself that I can't even wear the clothes I would like to wear I really hate just being in my body and feeling the blubber on my thighs it really sucks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Binge eating at night has been a problem for me in the past -- it's starting to creep up on me again since I started taking seroquel. Ugh! It's such a difficult habbit to break, too.

·
making awesome awesomer
587 Posts
OH man i am a huge emotional eater. Its weird because when i'm fine i dont hardly eat but when i'm stressed, upset, or feeling insecure i binge on comfort food. I do this a lot. I dont know how to stop this though because its obviously not good for me.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
It's WAY better than turning to alcohol & drugs.

When people want to quit smoking or alcohol for example, it's advisable to just have whatever you want. Don't be dieting or anything. Just take in whatever you want as long as it isn't the vice you're trying to quit such as smoking or alcohol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's WAY better than turning to alcohol & drugs.

When people want to quit smoking or alcohol for example, it's advisable to just have whatever you want. Don't be dieting or anything. Just take in whatever you want as long as it isn't the vice you're trying to quit such as smoking or alcohol.
Can't agree with you on that one. Sure you won't get lung cancer or risk liver failure (amongst other things), but binging can lead to serious health and emotional problems.

A little here and there isn't bad, since it is, after all, a way of coping. You shouldn't feel too guilty about it though, it's normal! Just as long as you aren't wolfing down a whole pint of ice cream with a bag of cookies in front of everyone, I don't see why you should care what they think. I'm not taking into account the SA-induced fear of eating in public though. Take me for example, I'm just self conscious of my table manners (spaghetti sauce running down the side of the mouth, etc).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes food has been one of my only coping mechanisms in the past but I"m starting to think it's a bit of a compulsion/ritual - like I get obsessed about it. I was feeling really bad today and I immediately was fixated on something I HAD to go get to eat as if that would make the problem go away. What I eat is something I can control so it makes me feel better when everything else is out of control....but then the eating too much gets out of control...so I'm getting no where! It's insanity, I know!

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I'm an emotional eater. Happy, sad, anxious, bored, tired, hungry, lonely, angry, etc. I eat.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I went through a difficult time of this in my late teens, early 20s. At one point I put on 60 pounds in 6 months. I slowly moved away from that kind of madness, although I still turn to food when I'm really stressed, although these days the amounts of food don't constitute a binge.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I am normally the opposite, but Paxil flipped it around. I gained 35-40 pounds at the worst, this spring. I have no idea how I managed to gain that much weight. It made me take a look at how much I eat. It was worse than I thought. I even exercise like crazy, too, and I still gained the weight. I have since lost about 15 pounds, but decided to stay at that level.

When I get nervous, I find things to do. If it is a running day, I will push myself a little harder than I normally do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am emotional eater. Instead of expressing how I felt, I ate my feelings and gain weight. Something that I found that works chew gum instead.

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am an emotional eater too. I started in grade school because I felt like if I had to go to that horrible place (school) where I was picked on quite a bit, I deserved to eat, say, this whole bag of chips when I got home. Never really lost the habit, makes me feel better to eat stuff I like. It's a vicious circle, since being chubby doesn't really help me feel like I "fit in" in the world.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
I used to. I would eat to supress emotions. The only reason I stopped is because I got tired of looking like jabba the hut. Now i'm just a mini jabba lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've always liked to eat a lot, but I've stayed pretty lean for the most part. Hopefully I don't gain large amounts of weight on citalopram, cuz I heard stories about that.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
"fit in"

Whoops, i goofed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts