Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody sometimes feel a bit embarrassed, kind of flinch, when the topic of the human body comes up in conversation? Like if someone says to sit your butt down, or makes a comment about feet, or even hearing a reading of the biblical passage about the body having many parts and some parts we treat with greater modesty, you feel kind of startled and like you're conspicuous for having a body, etc. Kind of like the body is giving away a secret.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really, really hate that.

My very good friend is a very, very flamboyant gay man, and he's very open about everything, and he'll make comments about my body, or others body, and I literally cringe. Its just a very uncomforable subject for me...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I don't know what it is about really. I don't always feel that way, but sometimes I will get those feelings. When I feel like that I also feel self conscious about walking. It's like I am extremely in tune with my body at those times. You know how when you walk you move your arms, etc, just naturally? When I feel like this, and I'm walking, my thoughts are like "my right arm is moving forward, my left arm is moving backwards, my hips moving to the right, then the left, etc." I know this whole post sounds kind of crazy. :cig

·
Registered
96 Posts
Doesn't sound crazy to me. I've often found myself becoming very self conscious about the way I am walking or running, etc. It's a very awkward thought process indeed.

I'm also somewhat embarrassed when talking about the human body. I realize there is nothing to be embarrassed about, but I'm still not comfortable around those conversations.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used to hate to even hear/use the word "body" like I was saying something dirty. I've mostly gotten over it - but it still pops up now and then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts