Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a room so my PC is in the living room. When my parents are home they spend 90% of their time in the same room as me.

When I'm not studying or reading I enjoy playing some strategy games on my PC. The problem is that I'm absolutely mortified of my parents seeing me play these games. They're highly critical of all video games and just scoff and shake their head when they see me even looking up a video on YouTube about a certain game. I then feel like an absolute waste of space for playing video games in the first place and proceed to go on a huge guilt trip.

I'm not even going to try and convince them that video games have any useful purpose, but it's just something that I like to do in my free time.

I can't really move out since I'm in uni and do not have a part time job (for now).

It just upsets me that some people my age have accepting parents who do not rush judgement on them because of such things.

My parents seem quick to lay on the guilt at the first opportunity. The problem is that I care far too much of their opinion to just ignore them.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'll assume they're watching TV in the same room as you, which is pretty ironic if they think you're wasting your time.

As for the problem, I'm unsure what to suggest, the only thing that wouldn't have worse consequences would be to just put up with it, I know my family originally were against how much I play games (My father would ALWAYS bring it up, and suggesting an alternative like playing football outside). However it seems my family mostly turn a blind eye to it now.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
If only your parents knew how many adults - say,over 30 play these games. I agree with what the other poster said-is watching tv really any more beneficial?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The situation is a bit delicate. See, the only reason they're staying in this country is so I can finish uni and hopefully find a job with this degree.

By playing on the PC, it's as if I'm not respecting the money they paid for the uni. It's as if I'm wasting their money in a way, or at least that's how I perceive it.

I can't wait until the opportunity to live alone, but that doesn't look like it's happening soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Time wasted having fun is not wasted time.

What would they prefer you did with that time? If they preferred that you be studying then there's very little that you can do more than bare it. If they're displeased with the actual media, then it's not for them to decide or pass judgement on what you use your leisure time doing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
PC games are nothing to be embarrassed about at all, they are probably just old fashioned or something, only real explanation. It could be worse you know, you could be amish and forbidded to use any modern technology.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
If it's something you enjoy, it's not a waste of time, simple as....

I am currently on a big guilt trip for playing video games as well, but no one understands, it's the only thing (along with the internet) that's fun in my life, one of few things in my life that bring me joy.... But people act like I'm wasting time, doing something I am REALLY passionate about. It's nonsense.... :no

1 - 8 of 8 Posts