Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm considering donating my eggs, but i'm still not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks. i'm located in canada and it's illegal here so i would have to travel to usa. from what i've read you can get anywhere from 3000 - 10000$ and that would help to pay off a large portion of my loans. i still don't know if it's worth it since the procedures are quite invasive, you have to take hormones for three weeks and the long term consequences are still unknown. on the positive note i would be helping someone conceive but i would not suffer through all that for free (no way in hell) so the money would be the main reason.

any thoughts, should i do it or not (i'm not even taking in to account all the ethical considerations)?

if you're a man your sperm can also be sold but you don't get that much and i'm sure the process is a lot more pleasurable.:b

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'd want to know for sure how it would affect my health long-term. How would it affect my ovaries? Might it increase the risk of them failing at some point? Might it make it more difficult for me to conceive or to carry a baby to term? Might it even make me infertile? Might I go through the menopause earlier than programmed?

If there was even the slightest risk that it would compromise my own health, I would not do it.

As for the ethical side of it: if other people can't have children, that's just too bad, IMO. It doesn't give them a license to put another person's health/fertility at risk or exploit that person's need for money. So unless the procedure is entirely risk-free for the donor and no money is exchanged, I don't think it's ethical.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Doesnt one have to meet certain criteria to be part of this? Not saying you dont, but I know I wouldnt, since I have spoken to my doc about depression/anxiety and its part of my medical record. I think they look at that and family histories. Like I said, I am not saying the OP doesnt qualify; but I am pretty sure that they pay that amount to have a person with a clean history.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have thought about this. I wouldn't do it until I was done having children of my own however. Mostly because if something did go majorly wrong in the birth process, you may not be able to have any more children. Rare, but why take your chances?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Doesnt one have to meet certain criteria to be part of this?
I just did a Google search and saw one of the questionnaires and can see why they have to pay up to $10K for an egg. They ask every question under the sun. They do ask about mental illnesses -- for everyone related to you: parents, grandparents, siblings, cousins. They'd like to know if any of your cousins ever had ADD or gout, for example (questions I wouldn't even know the answers to).

I have no idea how they could possibly confirm your answers to most of these questions. Medical records are private and they could have you sign a release to look at your personal medical records, but seems like they'd have to take your word for it on other relatives other than any public records they could obtain such as death certificates for people such as parents.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Doesnt one have to meet certain criteria to be part of this? Not saying you dont, but I know I wouldnt, since I have spoken to my doc about depression/anxiety and its part of my medical record. I think they look at that and family histories.
For a minute there, I was thinking that family history issues might rule someone out as a donor for their own good. (For example, someone with a history of depression possibly being made more susceptible to depression as a result of the treatment.) But then I thought about it again, and realised that the main reason for ruling anyone out would probably be the desire to create the "perfect" foetus. So the donor's health would be taken into consideration less for the sake of the donor than for the sake of the phantom foetus. Do you know whether this the case... or am I just being hyperskeptical?!

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
UltraShy said:
I have no idea how they could possibly confirm your answers to most of these questions. Medical records are private and they could have you sign a release to look at your personal medical records, but seems like they'd have to take your word for it on other relatives other than any public records they could obtain such as death certificates for people such as parents.
I think one would HAVE to consent to releasing one's medical records in order to participate. Like with other things you have to consent or you cannot do it; workman's comp comes to mind. You cannot expect someone to pay that kind of money and NOT take a look at your medical records and know your history. No one is going to take anyone's word for anything in a case like this. HIPPA only protects against unwanted intrusion of one's records.

I dont know about the other relatives though, but I am sure there is some way they check on it. Who would pay five figure sums of money without getting all the valid information they could?

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
For a minute there, I was thinking that family history issues might rule someone out as a donor for their own good. (For example, someone with a history of depression possibly being made more susceptible to depression as a result of the treatment.) But then I thought about it again, and realised that the main reason for ruling anyone out would probably be the desire to create the "perfect" foetus. So the donor's health would be taken into consideration less for the sake of the donor than for the sake of the phantom foetus. Do you know whether this the case... or am I just being hyperskeptical?!
Probably a bit of both.

To be honest, if I were getting a sperm donor, I wouldnt want to have someone with schizophrenia in their family; would you? Or people that have genetic diseases or strong cancer histories.

But at the same time, I agree with you that I think some people are trying to "design" a "perfect" child...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i definitely would meet the criteria cause my medical history is pretty clean, i never went to the doctor for my anxiety so i would probably not even reveal that. i went to uni. so they can think i'm somewhat intelligent, etc. the only problem could be that my mom did have cancer of the reproductive system (that could mean they won't take me plus the hormones they give would probably increase my chances of getting cancer). i agree, the medical risks are just very scary hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I wouldn't do it personally. Number one I can't stomach the thought of having kids I know nothing about out in the world. Literally that is whats going on there, a son or daughter being given away. I couldn't do it. There's a chance the feritlity won't work but still.

Plus I know this one person who's done it and had chronic pain for years as a result.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
^Same. I'd look at people and always wonder if it's my biological child. Plus, due to the risks, there's a reason they pay you so much for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts