Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the ones that are posted in the medication section of this website what were your experiences like being on Effexor XR? Please be as detailed as possible (i.e. include doses, how long you were on, withdrawl symptoms or not etc.) I'm trying to determine whether or not it would be beneficial for me to take it and whether it would alleviate my SA

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I was on Effexor XR 150mg/day for about half a year. When I was first titrating the dose up, I felt slightly more energetic, but once I hit 150mg and stayed there, the energy went away and I actually became sleepier. I gained weight while on it, and the constipation was terrible. Also, my pupils were almost constantly dilated, which I have read is common on SNRI's. When I tried to get off it (without the consent of my psychiatrist), it was awful. I couldn't just skip a dose or anything without experiencing severe brain zaps, so I started spreading one or two capsules out over the course of a week - I would empty the beads inside the capsules into an empty cup, lick the tip of my finger, stick it in, and then lick off whatever amount stuck. Very precise, I know :b, but I was able to decrease my daily dose to almost zero. I was hospitalized before I ever actually reached 0mg, though, and I was taken off the Effexor immediately (without anymore tapering) and put on Depakote, which made the brain zaps disappear. After a month when I discontinued the Depakote, the brain zaps remained gone. I'm so glad I'm off Effexor XR. It wasn't effective at all - it made me gain weight, get sleepy, and it didn't even help with anxiety or depression! Plus it was really expensive for me (around $130/month for it alone). I'm not saying that you will experience the same things, obviously, because everyone is different, but from what I've read about Effexor, my experiences are somewhat typical (esp. the brain zaps upon discontinuation).

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
I was on Effexor XR 150mg/day for about half a year. When I was first titrating the dose up, I felt slightly more energetic, but once I hit 150mg and stayed there, the energy went away and I actually became sleepier. I gained weight while on it, and the constipation was terrible. Also, my pupils were almost constantly dilated, which I have read is common on SNRI's. When I tried to get off it (without the consent of my psychiatrist), it was awful. I couldn't just skip a dose or anything without experiencing severe brain zaps, so I started spreading one or two capsules out over the course of a week - I would empty the beads inside the capsules into an empty cup, lick the tip of my finger, stick it in, and then lick off whatever amount stuck. Very precise, I know :b, but I was able to decrease my daily dose to almost zero. I was hospitalized before I ever actually reached 0mg, though, and I was taken off the Effexor immediately (without anymore tapering) and put on Depakote, which made the brain zaps disappear. After a month when I discontinued the Depakote, the brain zaps remained gone. I'm so glad I'm off Effexor XR. It wasn't effective at all - it made me gain weight, get sleepy, and it didn't even help with anxiety or depression! Plus it was really expensive for me (around $130/month for it alone). I'm not saying that you will experience the same things, obviously, because everyone is different, but from what I've read about Effexor, my experiences are somewhat typical (esp. the brain zaps upon discontinuation).
Ditto, and having sex, with yourself or someone else, is nearly impossible. You can do it, but dont count on finishing, if you know what I mean. The ONLY good thing for me about Effexor were the vivid dreams I'd have. They felt like real life and I could remember almost every detail when I woke up, like it had really just happened to me lol. I loved it but the drug already made me sleepy and this was making it hard to get out of bed...just wanted to sleep cause my dreams were wicked. Now that I think about it, I should get back on it. I miss having sweet dreams.

The only reason I won't go back on it is because of the brain zaps. I don't want to feel another one ever again as long as I live.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
...just wanted to sleep cause my dreams were wicked. Now that I think about it, I should get back on it. I miss having sweet dreams.
Nicotine patches. Craziest dreams I've ever had (that I could remember anyway) were when I was quitting smoking thanks to those.

Oh, and I found that the first few days on XR I woke up very suddenly and very quickly, which is the opposite of what normally happens. My eyes would snap open at 8:30 am and I would be awake, whereas normally my alarm would go off and then I would hit the snooze button for the next hour. Sadly, that side effect didn't last and I'm back to sleepytime central every morning.

·
Banned
6,269 Posts
I was on it for a few months, I don't remember the dose unfortunately, I think 75mg but I'm not 100% on that. For the first few days I felt nauseous and dizzy. It wasn't too good. After the nausea died down, it was okay, though I felt like I had little to no emotions. And sometimes I'd forget to take them for a couple days and the nausea would come back until I started taking them again, I absolutely hated that feeling.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Effexor-xr...I had one of my worst experiences when I took this drug. I was initially given Cipramil (Celexa) and it wasn't alleviating the depression I'd get, so I was given effexor. It made me so drowsy and I felt like a zombie. I'd get the worst brain zaps and like pokherpro said the dreams were unreal.

My psych then prescribed me 2 caps a day and it seriously was screwing me up so I weaned off them and went back to Celexa which I've been on for the last 6 yrs - gosh time flies.

Diff people have diff reactions to these meds so it's a matter of giving it a go. That's something I am reluctant to do because getting used to and weaning off these things is so hard on me. The side effects are really unbearable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been on effexor for.. jeez, 3 years now. I have never been officially diagnosed with SA, so it was prescribed to me for depression. I am currently taking 150mg every night. I have taken nearly every antidepressant in the past, and effexor has been the only one that has genuinely helped me. It definitely hasn't cured my SA, but it allows me to deal with and accept my situation. It is definitely a medication you can not miss one dose of -- you will suffer brain zaps the next day if you forget to take it! And coming off it is killer -- I was taking 400mg at one pt and the weening down was god-awful -- I'm surprised I didnt get seizures with how bad the brain zaps were. Anyway, for me, effexor is still a godsend.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have been on effexor for.. jeez, 3 years now. I have never been officially diagnosed with SA, so it was prescribed to me for depression. I am currently taking 150mg every night. I have taken nearly every antidepressant in the past, and effexor has been the only one that has genuinely helped me. It definitely hasn't cured my SA, but it allows me to deal with and accept my situation. It is definitely a medication you can not miss one dose of -- you will suffer brain zaps the next day if you forget to take it! And coming off it is killer -- I was taking 400mg at one pt and the weening down was god-awful -- I'm surprised I didnt get seizures with how bad the brain zaps were. Anyway, for me, effexor is still a godsend.
You're spot on ellektra. It's a pretty strong drug and anything more than 150mg is a damn strong dose. I'm lazy with taking my meds so I had massive trouble with this one. Those brain zaps were freaky to say the least!

Glad it's helping you though :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
For me @37.5 for 2 yrs.
Sweating, nausea, weight gain. The norepinephrine made my social anxiety worse the more I took. I rolled into another drug so I couldn't tell you about withdrawl.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
For me @37.5 for 2 yrs.
Sweating, nausea, weight gain. The norepinephrine made my social anxiety worse the more I took. I rolled into another drug so I couldn't tell you about withdrawl.
At 37.5mg / day and even somewhat higher Effexor (XR) acts just as an SSRI, not significantly affecting norepinephrine levels at all.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to medications. You won't know for sure until you try it yourself under the direction of a doctor.

Personally, it worked quite well at 37.5mg to 50mg in the morning, but it gave me anorgasmia, so I switched to Wellbutrin, which has worked great in its place.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've been taking Effexor XR for several months now, and it is the only thing that has allieviated my constant depression. I'm not sure what it does for SA, maybe helps a little. I usually take 150mg in the morning and 150mg at night, but if I forget I'll take them both at the same time (300mg is the maximum dose). I haven't experienced brain zaps or any side-effects other than mild constipation. I started at 150mg (after taking 75mg for one week), and it didn't do a damn thing for me until I increased the dose. So if you do try it, experiment with different doses before giving up on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just started this 2 days ago for anxiety and a bit of depression. 37.5 mg slow release for the first two weeks, then the doctor is going to up it to 75/day. my doctor doesn't tend to like to prescribe drugs unless she thinks it's absolutely necessary and she said she had a few patients who were having success with this so I'm trusting her judgement on this one... the horror stories I've read are a little unsettling!

I'm totally getting the "wide awake in the morning" thing and I had trouble sleeping the first night, but last night I fell asleep and stayed asleep pretty easily, woke up maybe an hour before my alarm was set to go off. There's an unpleasant "buzz" when I first take it, even with food. I also take Dexedrine (regular release, not SR) for my ADD so I've stepped that dosage down from 15 mg 2x a day to 10 mg 2x a day, and taken closer together in the day.

I feel more sociable and happier in general already though I know it takes 2 weeks for it to settle in. Maybe it's a placebo effect, I don't know. I was walking down the street yesterday and I was able to make eye contact with people who made eye contact with me, I didn't have that rush of fear and automatically averting my eyes like I usually do. I do know I can't drink like I used to.... tried drinking a can of cider and felt funny half-way through it... foggy in the brain. usually I can drink at least 2 cans before I start feeling the alcohol. There's been a bit of stomach discomfort but not that bad. A bit of dry mouth

I'm worried about the possibility of gaining weight... I thought with this stuff weight loss tends to be more common? I certainly find I don't have a great appetite on it so far, it hasn't affected that too badly though. Also worried about this stuff pooping out... I don't want to start jumping from pill to pill. Guess I should just try not to worry about it too much... that's why I'm taking the pill after all.

I'm also doing some CBT called ACT (Acceptance and Committment Therapy) on my own with a book... can't afford a psychologist at the mo, insurance won't cover it.

...just wanted to sleep cause my dreams were wicked. Now that I think about it, I should get back on it. I miss having sweet dreams.
I already had the awesome vivid dreams before taking this and it totally did make it hard to wake up to the boring everyday world! So wondering how this stuff is going to affect my dreams... last night was pretty vivid but not the weirdest I've had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Effexor was not for me at all. Side effect of sweating constantly was not good and that in turn would make me have a panic attack. In fact, I seemed to have more panic attacks while on it. Took the lowest dose at first 5 mg, I think. Then went to 10mg, so I took it for about a month and then told the Dr. I wanted to get off of it. She put me on Buspar, and so far I've been doing ok.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
Was one of the first meds I tried. Followed my dr's instructions to get up to dosage(sorry I don't remember what it was though). Never felt any difference, positive or negative. Not eve any noticable side effects.
So we gave up on that and went to paxil. which btw, did nothing for me either except make me gain 60lbs.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Effexor (SNRI) has the shortest Half-Life out of all the SSRI/SNRI's which basically means that withdrawing from it when you decide to get off it will be a death trap.

My friend was on Effexor and went through hell. Ofcourse everyone's different but a short *** half-life means trouble when you want to get off it compared to Prozac for instance which has a half-life of several days.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
So we gave up on that and went to paxil. which btw, did nothing for me either except make me gain 60lbs.
Hey, I was on Paxil and recently stopped it mainly because of the weight gain! 10kg's gained magically in the four months I was on it when prior to taking it I had had the same stable weight for years.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Effexor (SNRI) has the shortest Half-Life out of all the SSRI/SNRI's which basically means that withdrawing from it when you decide to get off it will be a death trap.

My friend was on Effexor and went through hell. Ofcourse everyone's different but a short *** half-life means trouble when you want to get off it compared to Prozac for instance which has a half-life of several days.
I think thats why they sometimes switch people to prozac to help withdraw from effexor. Similairly to how they might switch someone to valium to help withdraw from a shorter acting benzodiazapine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts