Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am new here but just wanted to share something with you guys. I am on Effexor for about 4 years now. I had major panic attacks and I ended up at the ER. The dr gave me 2 Ativan and a prescription of Effexor. Now I'm kinda pissed that he gave me that medication without knowing WHY I had panic attacks.. Now on Effexor I have no clue the reasons why I had/still have panic attack.

I take 150mg everyday... I never had bad experiences except the brain zaps and sometimes I lose my balance....which I'm used to because I had vertigo and balance disorder.

Now about drinking on this med.. I will share my story. I never drank before I was 21.. I started drinking normally.... And then I was put on Effexor... One time I went out with colleagues, we drank and at one point I was enraged... I lost control and hit 2 of my colleagues.... And I blacked out. Clearly I drank too much on that night...

I would after work, drink around 6 tall boy beer everyday... But it was ok...
I moved out to an appartment and I started drinking like crazy... And it ended up that i Did something stupid and got arrested and charged etc.

I moved to another appartment, things were better... Happier ... My 17 years old cat died during the holidays... Which results in me not sleeping and waiting for the vet to be open: so I drank all night...around 12 tall boy... I went to the vet and after I went to buy 12 more beers. I drank around 7 of them and went to sleep and woke up at 8pm. I started to puke.... And could not stop until I saw that I was puking blood...... Went to the ER, they gave me some IV.. And a scan to see if I moved something in my stomach... Went home

Bon I spent the holidays alone but ended up drinking 17 tall boy during the night until 8am. So I took some water and took my Effexor and went to sleep. I woke up around noon, and I was shaking... And feeling like crap. So I decided to change my mind and do some cleaning.... But around 6pm the shakes were crazy. I could not even hold my phone or anything. My legs were shaking too, my lips too and my head. Ended up at the ER... The doctor asked me if I took meth, cocaine or crack. ( I was shaking like crazy and my pupill were so dilated).. I was shocked and told him no... They did blood test, put IV of Ativan and liquid. He did also told me that the results are not good and was concerned about my liver....

It turned out I overdosed on Effexor due to having drinking beer. I am 27 and I had a tumor before and this was nothing compared to my OD.

I had to fix my computer yesterday and stayed up until 8am and during the night i had 6 beers... I woke up ok and out of nowhere the shakes came back... I took an Ativan and I feel a little better now but i might have to go to the ER again.

Be careful if you drink and take Effexor. Doesn't matter if you take your pills I. The morning and u go drink at night....

Julia

·
Banned
196 Posts
Are you sure you ODed on Effexor or just the mere fact that you combined Effexor with alcohol, which is a big nono, especially with the amount of alcohol you consume. Your liver is probably shot because of the fact that you drink 6 tall boys a night. Not to mention alcohol could be contributing to your anxiety. In my opinion, if your drinking every night then you're nullifying any positive effects of your medication. Either quit the alcohol (best option) or stop taking your medication because as of now, you're just pissing away money. Sorry about your kitty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what the doctor told me.... I just don't get why now, when I drink I have those shakes and Etc. never had that problem before....

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
That's what the doctor told me.... I just don't get why now, when I drink I have those shakes and Etc. never had that problem before....
Its probably because you have been stressing your body so hard that signs are NOW starting to show. This would be where you're body is saying

"WTF are you doing, you're harming me!!! Stop it!"

I suggest you seek treatment for alcohol dependence and get a psychologist to work with you on CBT and what leads you to consume so much alcohol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is that im not dependent of booze..i just crave it...and trust me i never liked beer before..NEVER...

The only way for me to stop my shakes is by ativan..but i dont like the effects...doesnt help me to calm down and focus fast enough...

is there any meds that you guys would suggest? I used to be on percocet for my leg but with effexor i felt i was on LSD..and now i am on hydro morphone which makes me hyper..so ...i just need something to calm me down and be able to enjoy and live and not crave and have shakes

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
i think it was the fact you combined effexor with alochol as it makes me feel dizzy, faint and my arms start aching al over, its really horrible, effexor is also not good on the liver in high doses, as i had to reduce my high dose of 450mg due to the fact my liver results were that of a binge drinker, and for someone who never drinks its pretty bad so yeah i would steer clear of even a sip. On SSRI meds like paxil etc i was able to drink moderately if i had to as i do not like drinking so its a good thing :D

if u need some mental stress releif i suggest substitutes to alcohol, like kratom for example or ativan if u are able to get a decent psychiatrist

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Yeah man i had an experience with Effexor and alcohol and it kept me awake for 10 days. Becareful!!!

Reactions: Arisa1536
1 - 7 of 7 Posts