Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if I'm spelling these meds incorrectly.

I take Effexor daily and I find it to be a huge help. It doesn't cure the problem, the issue is still there, but it sort of gets rid of the feelings. So, I still avoid social situations, but I don't make myself crazy with constant worrying, difficulty breathing from the anxiety, etc. I feel alot more calm and happy.

I also have a prescription of Lorazepam (also known Adavan (sp?), which is amazing as a one time deal. If I have a situation that is killing me to go into but I have no choice, like if I have to meet with a group of new people that I've never met before, taking one of these pills calms me down alot. It's like a mild sedative, where I'm calm but I'm not completely out of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ativan :) . I have it too, and it's awesome. I was able to give a 10 minute presentation in an extremely high-anxiety situation without a problem. Actually, it was talking for 30 seconds about my topic for the presentation that made me realize I had SA... with the Ativan, the presentation was totally fine. Amazing.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Ativan is potent stuff: If psychiatric inpatients freak out 2mg i.m. and they calm down again. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I LOVE my ativan. Sometimes I wish I could just safely take it everyday but my script is only prn so I try to NOT take it unless a panic attack is about to start.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So I have heard. But damn it, the way it takes all that anxiety away, sometimes you don't even care....just to be 'normal'.

But- because I can easily see myself getting far to used to them, that is why I only take them during a very obvious panic attack, or when I just really cannot make it on my own. I haven't taken any in several weeks now, but when we first moved here a couple months ago it was at least daily. I had to take them a LOT when I was in school though...and right now I am working on going back soon, so i am hoping to get a little more control (with SA and my bipolar) so I maybe will only need them for major things like class presentations or the like.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ditto, Keirelle, minus the panic attacks. It's such a nice feeling to be able to relax and not worry. I just wish it lasted longer.

Ativan takers, how much do you typically take?
I used to take mine everyday, but I think I went through minor withdrawals, and I never told my pdoc about it, because I was scared he would take me off of it or something. Lately I've cut down my ativan doses by quite a bit and I'll only take 'em about 3 times a week right now, although I'm trying to cut it down even further. And I take about .5mg every time, maybe .75.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could completely see how it could become addicting. If I had a large amount of them, I would consider taking them daily, but I only got about 15 from my doctor, so I try to use them only when I absolutely need them.

The ones I have are 0.5 I believe. I find that 1's work best for me though, so I'll usually take 2 of them. But if I need to be on the go the whole day, it's not the best idea. I usually take the 2, do the thing that I need to do that I took them for or wait for it to kill the panic attack, and then come home and sleep.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Benzo withdrawal is my definition of hell. You don't wanna go there, trust me.
That is truly the perfect word for benzo withdrawal. It is Hell.

I withdrew from 4mg/day Klonopin just a few months ago. It was hard.

I still take benzos though because they really do help with anxiety a lot. I researched these pills for several months before taking them and for me, they really are worth the tolerance and eventual withdrawal.

I take the Xanax .75mg per day PRN. Xanax is pretty good for anxiety.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I was on 8mg Klonopin per day for 9 month and quit via Phenobarbital within 3-4 weeks. I didn't feel discomfort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.