Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you consider the effects medication may have on your brain? I'm worried about taking different meds, thinking it may have some permanent effect on my brain, which I think is true sometimes.

I would love to try something like phenibut, but after reading about it I see that you can only take it once in a while, and you can get dependent on it, and that it can permanently affect the GABA receptors and cause your body to stop making its own GABA (similar to the reason why weight lifters cycle creatine, 2 months on 1 month off), I am really hesitant to try it.

We don't know much about the brain yet, so I just don't like the idea of altering the chemicals in it. Am I just paranoid or do other people think about this too?

For some reason I also don't like the idea of taking multiple medications, I don't base this particular paranoia on any scientific evidence though.

The particular worry I have is that my brain will be slowed down. Like when I am older and possibly no longer have social anxiety, I will have trouble concentrating at work and be unable to be successful... I already have ADD which is hard enough

Does anyone feel the same way?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think about it all the time. Not just the effects on my brain, but things like nausea, headaches, my reactions to certain things ("is it me or the meds?"). Sometimes I feel like a guinea pig and that future generations will see these meds the same way we see lobotomies now.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I feel this way already. I've tried literally everything on the market and my brain just doesn't seem anywhere near as sharp as it used to be.
That's exactly what worries me. It's such a shame because it seems most people with social anxiety are really bright, because we're thinkers, but we end up hurting ourselves by all the medication we need to take to be normal.

I'm sorry for you though. What exactly do you feel like? Kind of like ADD symptoms, or does it just take longer to solve equations and stuff?

What do you think caused it, benzos?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's exactly what worries me. It's such a shame because it seems most people with social anxiety are really bright, because we're thinkers, but we end up hurting ourselves by all the medication we need to take to be normal.

I'm sorry for you though. What exactly do you feel like? Kind of like ADD symptoms, or does it just take longer to solve equations and stuff?

What do you think caused it, benzos?
I feel like theres a fog in my head most of the time that makes it difficult for me to think, especially when I was on the antipsychotics.

I got ADD like symptoms nowadays (ie not being able to concentrate during conversations, not attentive when watching TV) and it never used to be like that. I think that thoughts also just take longer to pop out of my head as well and that never used to be a problem for me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Drugs companies don't like it when you talk about these things; your brain needs time to recover from these harmful meds after getting off of them. Drugs companies do very little research on this. Be careful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
everything is a cost benefit . if you dont have serious problems you should not be on medication. there may be long term effects but these medications have been around 20+yrs ...if your problems are negatively impacting your life to a big degree then you have to consider it a trade off

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
everything is a cost benefit . if you dont have serious problems you should not be on medication. there may be long term effects but these medications have been around 20+yrs ...if your problems are negatively impacting your life to a big degree then you have to consider it a trade off
This.

I was suicidal before taking Lexapro. I needed it and don't think about the long term consequences since without it, I wouldn't be alive today. Only take meds if you're willing to accept the risk for the benefit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Isn't that also possibly beneficial from a certain standpoint though? sure, it may effect you long-term after you stop taking it, but possibly, it might've decreased your SA long-term as well.

I know bc i used paxil for years and quit, but i'm no where near as anxious as i was before i took it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Very good point. There's a chance I wouldn't be alive to worry about the effects of the meds if I never started them in the first place.

·
Registered
795 Posts
dyslexic foxy

Those who say meds cause suicide are right, bbbbbbbbbbbut how many would have killed themself without meds. Like one poster,s said dont take meds if not seriously ill .I have been ill all my life but would not take meds early on when younger , in the end i had to or die basiclly. I dont take multi med combo.s, i think more meds more side effects , but i need them to live, not choise. Why be overweight through meds an sexually stunted an suffer side effect,s if you can get by with out meds.:yes

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like Phenibut but it only would use it recreationally. It really is a good sedative and will knock you out at the end of the day. It is great if you have no plans later in the evening.
Isn't phenibut supposed to be a nootropic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

Are you saying it makes you a little foggy/unable to concentrate?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I partially agree with all of you, but my current inability to think rationally is the very reason I am hesitant to take medication. Maybe if there was a plant or something natural that could help, I would take it, but I don't trust the effects of man made chemicals, for the reason QuietBoy99 said.

I do agree that I would sacrifice a lot to take a chance on getting better. But I always think I will be better in the future, and if I have been on lots of meds I will regret the negative effects, because there's no going back. right?

I guess I can't really argue your basic points though, it is a cost/benefit analysis no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
this is the main reason I won't take meds--fear of short and long-term side effects. I don't trust pharmaceutical companies as far as I can throw them. plus, I've never known anyone who has gotten tremendous relief from being on anti-anxiety meds/antidepressants. most people say they help for a little while and then stop working, or that they help but the side effects are intolerable, etc. it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't care about common side effects such as weight gain, nausea, etc. (the weight gain would actually be a positive if it caused by increased appetite). It' the unknown that bothers me... I can deal with some headaches if it is helping my anxiety... but why does it cause headaches?... it can't be good right? Insomnia would also be bad for me because I already have trouble sleeping, but again, if it helped my anxiety I would deal with it. But we know altering chemicals in the brain is not the solution to the problem, it's just an aid. So my thoughts are: why risk messing with your brain and possibly becoming "slowed down" for a medication that will not even get at the root of the problem.

Honestly, I just don't know enough. I don't think there is anyone who does. And that's why I worry about it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When you have a neurological condition, there IS NO solution, the only option is a pharmacological one. SA can be neurological (it's almost a certainty for people who have ADHD as well).
Then what's the point of CBT? It's known as the #1 cure for social anxiety, because it actually creates new nerve pathways in the brain. The pathways we have are not right, which is why we have anxiety, so in situations you feel anxiety you have to try to work on creating new ones (normal ones).

I do have ADHD too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts