Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have this too. What helped me last time was a visit to a dermatologist. He prescribed me lots of vitamins and a new diet. Cortisone cream works wonders but apparently it's bad for long term use, so I try to avoid it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am a nanny, and I the boy I watch has this. He uses special lotion, I am not sure of the name, I will find out monday. It seems to help out a lot.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Recently when I was under a lot of stress at uni I got excema for the first time. It appeared on my hand quite suddenly and lasted a few months. It flared up when I ate greasy food, and I think things like meat and sugary pastry also affected it.
So my only advice really is a good diet. I put moisturiser on it when it looked really dry but I'm not sure that helped in the long term.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have this too, it use to be so bad that I had it all over my body. I remember I went to my doctor and he prescribed me a cream for it. I stop using them though because they have like steroids in them. Instead I use this lotion called Keri. It is every good for it when it is dry. My doctor also told me I could be allergic to certain things I eat or use on my skin or clothes. It would be good to also watch what you eat. I found out that for me things like shrimp and dish washing liquid irritated it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I get bloody awful Eczema all over; does anyone else find it annoying when it starts itching while you're trying to exercise?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I just be sure to go for a shower afterwards. Do you mosturize often? I use Aveeno. What kinds of foods do you eat? You could have allergies to some.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I actually have this and I've had it since I was 12. That was a very stressful time in my life, also. When I first got it, it was on my shin, and then it went away with prescription cream. It's back again on my shin and it actually spread to my neck, but it's not as bad there.

I had no idea it was partially caused by stress! I should have did some research about it...

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I had it on the top of my left foot (a small patch), but it itched. I think I used Athlete's Foot Spray thinking it was athlete's foot. It actually burned the skin. It went away after that. :stu

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I used to get it on my back and sometimes my chest, stress seemed to trigger it off. Though sugar has an effect too. I had a really bad flare up last year and tried out umpteen different creams with no success.
Then I noticed a big difference when I began putting tea tree oil and lavender in my bath...I now add a few drops of each all the while. I think it could be the healing qualities of these oils that do the trick.
I also use lavender on my temples when I have a headache, it's really soothing.
Good luck !!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
My skin used to be horrific in grade 7 and 8. Almost everything that I was eating, I was allergic to. I am allergic to anything with artificial flavours and colours. This means no candy for me, no pralines with caramel ice cream, no Kraft Dinner, no rice with food colouring and seasonings. No tomatoes, nectarines, peaches, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, raspberries, or strawberries, no chocolate. Drinking Milk has a tendency to bother my skin as well.

As far as clothing goes, I only wear cotton clothes, my bedding is 100% cotton. No feather pillows. I don't wear any perfume. I live in a 100% smoke free environment.

I have tried many creams as well. From eucerin to many others. Aveeno even used to make my skin itch. If you get into a routine of mosturizing regularly and immediately after showers, it does help. You may have to mosturize numerous times a day.
I recommend the book The Eczema Solution by Sue Armstrong Brown. It talks about the itch scratch cycle.

I really like cortisone cream 1% and betamethasone 0.05% white cream.
You can buy cortisone cream at your pharmacy without a prescription.

I also recommend an antihistamine for the itch. Benadryl, Claritin, ChlorTripolon (makes you tired, though.) My face is mainly where I get eczema so I can relate to you.

People with eczema should never kiss anyone with a cold sore or you could get eczema herpeticum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema_herpeticum (This is a 1 time thing)
This turns into herpes simplex for life caused by going out in the sun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep have had eczema all my life. This has now mutated into severe allergies and asthma (I'm in my 30s, thought I was too old for this!!)

Creams containing salicylic acid help the eczema, also extract of coal tar.

Good luck :)

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,031 Posts
I've been getting the itches all over my body during the warmer seasons for a few years now but I never thought to look into it until now. as it's getting quite annoying. I was just looking through my moms medical book under itching & it mentioned Eczema so I checked out the overview of it. Sounds exactly like what I've been experiencing. I'll have to go to my GP & see what can be done about it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Eczema on my arms, neck, and sometimes legs(but not that often anymore). What I basically do is I put a cream from my dermatologist on my Eczema when it gets really bad.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Hm I'd just like to suggest sea water in helping to treat eczema. It really has done wonders for me and alot of other people as well (a quick search on Google would yield similar results). After about 10 days by the sea side, you can really see the difference.
After about an hours soak, have a quick shower, dry yourself and then apply cream on straight after. I would highly recommend it. :)

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I stopped using soap several years ago, as i started developing similar skin problems. I also figured out it was stress related.

What I use on my face now is a mix of a base oil and some essential oils. you might want to check out a book I found, called "Pure Skin". Um...I don't know if you're a bloke or a chick, but if you're a bloke, I'll warn you the book is geared towards women, but there are a lot of good recipes in it for mixing your own cleansers and so forth.

It has helped my skin immensely. Drink plenty of water as well. This seems to make a difference for me.

Leo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts