Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what is a trigger for SA for me when eating at the main cafeteria at my college. I feel on edge a bit and nervous when there is a large scores of people that sit together in tables. I sit in a bar area and sit alone. I don't get that much nervous feeling in the daytime. Could it be that social anxiety is bad for me at night or something because of being a lonely or something.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I could never sit in the cafeteria in college alone by myself, I'd probably feel nervous simply because I was alone. I usually just go on a walk by myself.

·
Dazed And Confused
112 Posts
I'm right there with you. I wish I could just sit down and comfortably eat my food. I often do without lunch because I get so anxious.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Is it maybe more crowded with groups for dinner? Because I feel like most people have dinner in groups more than for breakfast or lunch.

·
SAS's koala
2,287 Posts
In my 3 and a half years at college I have NEVER sat alone at a cafe at our college..I get major SA eating alone so I always take my food to the library or back to my apartment, I can count the times on my hand the amount of times Ive actually sat down in our cafe :hide

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I get anxious eating by myself too, but you would think college would be a more acceptable place to eat by yourself. You will usually have kids on the move, going from class to class and they don't always have time to find a friend or group of friends to eat with so they go in alone, do their thing, and move on. People really don't care if you are eating by yourself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in CC and I wouldn't eat at the cafeteria either. I use to eat there alone but since my uncles place is nearby I just go to his place and eat my lunch there.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I did it quite a lot in college....sat alone, eating a subway or pizza, watching TV...later on, I brought my laptop to keep me occupied. Then some people decided to bring their consoles to hook up to the student union TV, and even though I was quiet, I was good in games so I had friends that way. Maybe there's something there at your college or your transfer college you can get into. Could help fight your SA when you find someone with common interests.

·
Dazed And Confused
112 Posts
I get anxious eating by myself too, but you would think college would be a more acceptable place to eat by yourself. You will usually have kids on the move, going from class to class and they don't always have time to find a friend or group of friends to eat with so they go in alone, do their thing, and move on. People really don't care if you are eating by yourself.
Even though I know this to be true, I still have an irrational fear.

·
Herp Derp
270 Posts
last year in my dorm i ate alone almost every day. it was pretty pathetic considering almost everyone was eating with their roommates or friends and my roommates were never there so i always sat at the counter alone. lunch was okay because i could make it look like i was in a rush but dinner was bad since thats when most people ate together in groups.

however, i never really let it stop me from eating. sometimes on fri/sat night if i didnt get there early enough id skip dinner though to avoid being there at 7-8 PM

at the end of the year i started eating with people, and to be honest i liked eating alone more, i got done really quickly and ate a lot, when with other people i ate slow and not that much

1 - 13 of 13 Posts