Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's cheap, convenient and well...fast. Sometimes I like to eat at a sit down restaurant but it becomes too expensive to do more than a few times a month. I generally eat good meals for dinner to counter balance it. I rarely eat breakfast because I am not hungry in the mornings. Is it as unhealthy as they say it is? I am trying to gain a few pounds so I am not worried about the fattening effects of it.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Personally,I just think you don't get enough meatloaf in you diet! HA-HA!!

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Fast food is not cheap. If you spend $5 for lunch every work day, you end up spending $100 per month or $1200 per year. A pound of ham and a loaf of bread will run about $7.50 and will last 2 weeks. This is $15 per month, an 85% savings.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fast food is not cheap. If you spend $5 for lunch every work day, you end up spending $100 per month or $1200 per year. A pound of ham and a loaf of bread will run about $7.50 and will last 2 weeks. This is $15 per month, an 85% savings.
Ham and bread is more expensive than that. Plus if who wants to eat plain bread with just a slice of ham in it? You have to consider the cost of condiments, veggies, cheese, beverages, plastic bags, etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's cheap, convenient and well...fast. Sometimes I like to eat at a sit down restaurant but it becomes too expensive to do more than a few times a month. I generally eat good meals for dinner to counter balance it. I rarely eat breakfast because I am not hungry in the mornings. Is it as unhealthy as they say it is? I am trying to gain a few pounds so I am not worried about the fattening effects of it.
Yes eating breakfast is unhealthy. Start doing it and your body will adjust. I wake up hungry every day.

And why fast food? In the same time frame you can go to panera and get a chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread with an apple on the side. A perfectly balanced meal. Or even easier, cook a big(and healthy) dinner and save half for lunch the next day.

That second route is FAR cheaper too. Cooking your own food is cheaper than even mcdonalds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ham and bread is more expensive than that. Plus if who wants to eat plain bread with just a slice of ham in it? You have to consider the cost of condiments, veggies, cheese, beverages, plastic bags, etc.
And this...

beverages - water or tea, both are free(or almost free). soda is not healthy and technically neither is juice
plastic bags - a couple cents each? recycle if you're that broke
condiments - a bottle of mustard or whatever it is you prefer will last you for months
cheese - again, divide a brick of cheese by # of slices and you get a couple cents each
lettuce and tomato slice? not much

And try cooking an actual meal...
rice/pasta/beans/etc - a few bucks for a package with 20 servings
package of chicken breasts on sale - less than a buck each
seasoning - 2 bucks and lasts for ages
olive oil - 10 bucks for a bottle that lasts for ages
veggies - you can go cheap or very expensive here, but unless you eat A LOT of veggies it should only run you $1-3 per meal. So around $4 absolute max for a beautiful dinner.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Ham and bread is more expensive than that.
No it's not~

Plus if who wants to eat plain bread with just a slice of ham in it?
Spoken like someone who's been on fast food a little too long. Start eating sandwiches and normal lunches for a while instead, and you'll change your tune.

You have to consider the cost of condiments, veggies, cheese, beverages, plastic bags, etc.
Condiments last a LONG time. So too does a roll of glad wrap. And you can get a reusable lunch bag. For a beverage, take tap water. For vegetables/fruit, take an apple or some of those small carrots that come in bags.

If you sit down and work out all the actual prices and math, you'll save money by making your own lunches. Worst case scenario, you'll break even. Either way, your body will appreciate it.

Yes eating breakfast is unhealthy.
Maybe if you're getting a couple McDonald's pancake meals every day, sure!

Health benefits aside, if you eat a good breakfast every day, you won't need as big of a meal come lunch time.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Earlier this year I started to make a written account of exactly how much I was spending and where I was spending it. At the end of the first month I totalled everything up and was pretty surprised to see that one of the highest non-essential totals was for my lunch at work. It was ridiculous. I changed my habits immediately and the very next month I saved myself over $100 just by being smarter with my lunch. Such a tiny change to make, for quite a significant saving.

For that reason alone it's worth eating real food and not fast food every day.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
This is my daily lunch for work.

Loaf of Bread $1.38 = 8 sandwiches = $.17 per sandwich
1 lb ham $3.99 - 16 1 oz slices = 8 sandwiches = $.50 per sandwich
60 0z Miracle Whip $5.75 (Sam's club) = 60 sandwiches = $.10 per sandwiches
Ruffles Potato chips 50 - 1 oz packs $11.98 = $.24 per pack
Bottled water 32 bottles $3.98 - $.13 each
Sandwich bags 500 - $8.68 - <$.02 per bag

Total cost for my daily lunch =$1.17 or $304.20 per year

I rest my case!

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I am a fast food junkie eating at fast food outlets at least 5 times a week.

If you want to gain weight eat the high calorie stuff like milkshakes and cheeseburgers and french fries plus sugary sodas. Enjoy! :yes

·
Registered
133 Posts

I rest my case!
I need to start doing this. Thanks for the tip.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts

I rest my case!
I used to run a cafe and people would complain about the cost of sandwiches a lot. Some would figure it's 17 cents worth of bread, 50 cents of ham, 15 cents of cheese, and 10 cents of mayo so it only cost me 91 cents. That meant I should only charge a dollar instead of $3. Make your own sandwich then - I did say that sometimes. People are very reluctant to do all the work of making egg salad though.

I have never been hungry at breakfast time. I hog down vitamins and suppliments with a cracker.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Why does someone have to ask if skipping breakfast and eating fast food is unhealthy.... Maybe one of the million studies done can solve that one.

If you have an issue buying stuff for your own sandwhiches you can always go to a sub shop. A lot of sports bar restaurants will serve various sandwhiches, salads, soups, etc... One here has a special lunch menu for single servings of everything on their menu from pizza and pasta to half a grilled cheese.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Amocholes is absolutely right. I switched to making my own lunch earlier this year and now I feel like such a sucker for wasting money on fast food for so long.

My lunch is basically the same as his except I take a piece of fruit too, and sometimes a croissant. But I save on buying water as I take two bottles of filtered water from home. I put them in the freezer for an hour before I leave and they are still ice cold when I drink them! I usually make egg mayo or tuna mayo the night before, so no running around like a headless chicken in the morning. If I'm feeling lazy I buy a pot of pre made sandwich filling, which for a week still works out cheaper than buying lunch for a day!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
When I started my first job I initially brought in my readymade lunch everyday, out of habit. But then everyone else was buying theirs from either the supermarket or our office cafe, so I stared doing that too... till I realised it was totally unsustainable and I was running out of money each week. I think I would be able to manage it if I had a higher paying job, but with what I earn, it is a huge chunk of money. And I've noticed a lot of lunch places are very low quality, even the more up-market ones catering to business people, and the lunches from supermarkets are so unhealthy...
Making your own lunches is healthier, fun, you can make it much tastier than a factory worker/fast food worker, and actually doesn't take that long... Unless you are making something insane like this: http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li3rqf5PWL1qaobu4o1_500.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts