Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with SA and an ed?
i think i heard its more likely for you to get an ed if youre depressed or have another mental disorder...
ive had some disordered eating, i wouldnt say i was anorexic but i was definitely restricting my eating.
any experiences with sa and eds?

·
Banned
302 Posts
I have never been officially diagnosed with an eating disorder; however, I am preoccupied with what i eat. I try not to gain too much weight and sometimes feel a lot of guilt if i have a week where I eat too many fatty foods. I do get depressed a lot and sometimes I think I turn to food for comfort.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i used to.. definately not any more.. i don't think that i had it long enough to be classified as an eating disorder, but from november 07 - may 08 i lost 2 stone, sometimes i only ate 100 calories a day.. but i'm fine now.. i eat too much, haha.. don't think it's anything to do with my SA, just me being a self conscious teen, wanting to look like all of those girls on tv..:/

·
Haters to the left.
No alarms and no surprises
2,726 Posts
I had an eating disorder back when I was a sophomore/junior in high school. I was a bit on the chubby side as a young teen, lost a ton of weight, then became obsessed with food and working out 3 times a day to maintain my skinny figure. I think I had "exercise bulimia", since I became obsessed with going on the treadmill and immediately working off whatever food I did consume. I don't have any more issues with food now though.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
i don't think i have an eating disorder per se, but i did have unusual eating habits for quite some time. i'm also terrified at the thought of gaining weight. i have to constantly check my weight on the scales and my body in the mirror to make sure i haven't suddenly turned fat.

i meant to be trying to gain two kilos at the moment but my fear of being fat is making me procrastinate on this.

·
Hiding in my basement
347 Posts
I have problems with it. I don't think it would qualify as a full blown eating disorder. But I go through periods, weeks or months, of either gorging or trying to starve myself. My weight has fluctuated between 140lbs. to 240 lbs. Terrible stretch marks all over myself. It might be an eating disorder, I'm not sure what they call it though.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
For about 5 years. They said I have bulimia but I don't. Bulimia in Latin means hunger of an ox. I don't binge. The first doctor I saw said what you did though that it's common for people who have other issues.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I have never been diagnosed with one, but I'm not exactly a normal eater, whatever that is. I tell people that I just have a super-fast metabolism, but truthfully I just hate to be over a certain weight. Oddly, I'm less obsessive about food when I am feeling fattish than when I'm feeling thinnish. Once I get below 110 pounds, it becomes a crazy race to 100, for some reason.

Rationally, I know I am too thin. I saw some pictures from my birthday and I looked like a bobble head. I actually think I look better when I'm in a more reasonable, 120-130 pound range. I don't know why I try to lose weight when I'm already skinny.

Lately I've feeling rather non-thin. When I feel non-thin, I eat fatty foods and candy all day long. I figure that I'll end up getting crazy about food again in another month or so, so I might as well go ahead and stuff myself while I don't feel guilty doing it.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Yeah i did for a while, but stopped myself before it got too bad. Well i still do have periods in which it kinda takes over but it hasn't happened in a long time. I think when i can manage my SA this thing will also stop automatically.

·
Existence is purpose
643 Posts
I had anorexia from age 8 until 17, hospitalised, the whole thing, I was VERY bad. I am now fully recovered, although disordered body image and some disordered thinking related to it has never really left me.

·
chubby 11 year old girl
1,950 Posts
I've struggled with exercise bulimia and anorexia since I was 15. I have it under pretty good control now, but there is always that temptation to skip a meal or work out for longer than I should. It's an ongoing battle that I don't think will ever be over. It's been years since I've been able to eat something without worrying that it will make me fat.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Yeah christmas is hard because it's all about food. Yesterday I felt really depressed and on a normal day it'd be I'm not going to eat for as long as possible but there was a big family meal so... well I ended up doing better than last year.

I don't understand how anyone can ever fully recover from an eating disorder or addiction of any kind. Guess that's why I'm in therapy...

They're coping mechanisms and anxiety alone gives you enough **** to have to cope with... that's the connection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I had one for a while, I'm trying to pull myself out of it...I think a lot of it had to do with SA cuz at the time I was at a new school and was feeling lonely and like no one liked me and it was something I could focus on and put all my effort into. So ya, I know how it feels...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
That sounds like me Kabby. I was at a new college from everyone I grew up with and didn't know anyone and went into myself more again. Things that cause more anxiety and it was how I coped.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts