Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This meditation is taken from the 'Generalized Anxiety Disorder' chapter of the book "Sacred Therapies: The Kundalini Yoga Meditation Handbook for Mental Health" by David Shannahoff Khalsa. It works wonders, and I hope you enjoy. Please contact me if you have any questions.

================================================== =====

Instructions for the Tranquil Mind Meditation (VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT EXCEED MAXIMUM TIME LIMIT OF 31 MINUTES DAILY):

Sit straight (lengthen the body all along the spine) either in a chair or a comfortable cross-legged position and rest the back of one hand in the palm of the other, with the thumbs crossing each other in the palm closest to the body. If the right hand rests in the palm of the left hand, the left thumb rests in the right palm and the right thumb then crosses over the back of the left thumb.

Either hand orientation is acceptable; if the left hand rests in the palm of the right hand, the right thumb rests in the left palm and the left thumb then crosses over the back of the right thumb.

The hands are placed at the level of the Heart Center, about 2 inches in front of the chest (the hands do not touch the chest), and the elbows are relaxing down along the sides of the body against the ribs.

The eyes are open but focused on the tip of the nose (which you cannot actually see). Maintain this body position and eye gaze throughout the meditation.

The breathing pattern has four parts that repeat in sequence (Note - all inhalations and exhalations should be slow, full, deep and comfortable. Your lung capacity will naturally increase with practice). The breathing sequence is as follows:

1.) INHALE AND EXHALE THROUGH THE NOSE SLOWLY.

2.) INHALE THROUGH THE MOUTH SLOWLY WITH THE LIPS PUCKERED AS IF TO GIVE A KISS OR MAKE A WHISTLE (BREATHE ALMOST AS IF YOU ARE "SIPPING" THE BREATH, AS IF YOU WERE DRINKING HONEY OR A THICK MILKSHAKE THROUGH A STRAW). AFTER THE INHALATION, RELAX THE LIPS AND EXHALE THROUGH THE MOUTH SLOWLY, LETTING THE BREATH OUT WITH A GENTLE SIGH.

3.) INHALE THROUGH THE NOSE AND EXHALE THROUGH THE RELAXED MOUTH SLOWLY.

4.) INHALE THROUGH "SIPPING" LIPS AND EXHALE THROUGH THE NOSE SLOWLY.

Repeat steps 1 through 4.

TO SUMMARIZE THE BREATHING, HERE IS THE INHALE/EXHALE PATTERN (IT'S COMMON FOR BEGINNERS TO GET LOST IN THE SEQUENCE, BUT IT WILL BECOME EASY TO KEEP THE REGULAR SEQUENCE GOING WITHOUT MUCH THOUGHT AFTER A LITTLE PRACTICE. IF NECESSARY, FEEL FREE TO MAKE USE OF THE "CHEAT SHEET" BELOW, SHOWING THE BREATHING PATTERNS).

1.) INHALE nose, EXHALE nose
2.) INHALE "sipping" lips, EXHALE relaxed lips
3.) INHALE nose, EXHALE relaxed lips
4.) INHALE sipping lips, EXHALE nose

Practice anywhere between 11 and 31 minutes. THE MAXIMUM TIME ALLOWED FOR THIS TECHNIQUE IS 31 MINUTES. I only emphasize this because if you exceed 31 minutes your mind will become so still you won’t be able to form a sentence for awhile. Trust me, I went 33 minutes once and all I could do was sit and stare. It was very pleasant but I became completely unproductive.

As you improve you may want to simply maintain the breathing pattern for the full 31 minutes, then rest briefly afterwards. The benefits for most people are felt fairly quickly.

This technique can treat any anxiety-related disorder by helping the person induce a very quiet, still, peaceful, clear and stable mind. This excellent technique can also be used for anxiety prevention or simply to reduce daily mental and emotional stress and strain.

Practicing this breathing technique on a regular basis will help a person learn what it means to have a quiet mind with very little chatter. The more a person engages this state, the more he or she will realize that this peaceful and clear state only increases and deepens with practice.

NOTE: THERE IS A GREAT IPHONE/IPAD APP FOR TIMING MEDITATION PERIODS, CALLED "INSIGHT TIMER". IT’S EITHER FREE OR VERY INEXPENSIVE, IS REALLY EASY TO USE AND WILL ALLOW YOU TO NOT HAVE TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR MEDITATION TIME.

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened, but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."
- Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I'll look into this. I already know that I drink because I can't get outside/over myself and my thoughts. I overlook simple things and there's lots of debris going on in my thoughts, but I'm too impatient for meditation. Has it really worked for you? Should I just meditate before a social situation the same way I would down a pint of Absolut?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, friend, meditation hasn't only worked for me, it has saved my life. This specific meditation can be used for people to get rid of daily stresses, but for someone with anxiety issues, it is best to do this meditation every day. Soon you will literally be able to feel your thoughts slowing down during the meditation, in the same way you feel your car slowing down as you approach a stop sign.

It is a perfectly named meditation because it will really tranquilize your mind. Truly, I was home-bound for almost 7 years with severe social anxiety disorder, and because of meditation I now make my living speaking publicly, giving one-hour lectures for groups of up to 60 people at a time! If you have any questions at all please ask away. I look forward to hearing of your progress!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jahchilren,
I was wondering if you have tried any other exercises besides the one for anxiety.
I have an eating disorder which stems from being depressed. I want to know if it is worth the pain of getting someone to buy this book and mailing it to me because it is not shipped to the country I reside in. I wish they had an e-book version. Hope to see your response soon!
Take care,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts