Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has interest in or experience with the Earthship movement of sustainable living (http://earthship.com/) or other similar alternative earth-friendly, nature-based or off-the-grid housing and living ideas, here's a place to share!

I'm quoting the initial brief convo below from 'The First Step' section, though everyone is welcome to continue it :)

I definitely think a lot about escaping civilization and society, as unrealistic as it may be. I've been reading about the whole Earthship movement of building my own little self-sustainable home in the middle of nowhere... But it always comes down to the fact that I need money to live, which means I need a job, which means working with people in some way... So I suppose I have to learn some skills to make it through life, as much as I romanticize an 'alternative' way of living :p
:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie

i know exactly what you mean! earthship homes are cool, cool stuff

sadly, blueprints are just way too expensive, alone, though, and you're far better off constructing your own plans

they've kind of made it a little scammy considering they want 5-10,000 for just the blueprint, not including the costs of a contractor, and materials

hopefully, within the next coming years, with the raising awareness of climate change and a need for decreased energy consumption, we'll see more sustainable home plans with lower start up costs

and i disagree with their idea of black water removal/repurposing

vermicomposting toilets are undoubtedly the best option, and can, in turn, be used as food for insects (provided you're interested in insect farming, as i am), and even so, they can be used to make SUPREMELY healthy humus for the garden

·
Registered
952 Posts
You may wish to look into hydroponics. you can.buy a system to.feed 2.people for a year for under $5000 I think 11 people for under $10k after the initial set up it is quite cheap and will provide you with nutritious healthy food.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Originally Posted by innerspace
I definitely think a lot about escaping civilization and society, as unrealistic as it may be. I've been reading about the whole Earthship movement of building my own little self-sustainable home in the middle of nowhere... But it always comes down to the fact that I need money to live, which means I need a job, which means working with people in some way... So I suppose I have to learn some skills to make it through life, as much as I romanticize an 'alternative' way of living :p
You're contradicting yourself. Escaping civilization and building your own self-sustainable home means exactly that you wouldn't need a job, that you wouldn't need to work with people in some way.
Maybe join a survivalist community? They'd probably help you out if you truly wanted to live that way.

Anyway, thanks for the introduction into this earthship concept. It's very interesting and I just know I'm going to waste too much time researching it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're contradicting yourself. Escaping civilization and building your own self-sustainable home means exactly that you wouldn't need a job, that you wouldn't need to work with people in some way.
You're right. Ideally, it would mean freedom from the workforce and from dealing with people. Except I'd have to make money for the start-up and building costs (minus the free recyclables) and seeds, and anything else I'd have to buy (clothes, tools, etc. including a car/truck to move stuff, and gas for that). Not to mention the fact that I'd have to support myself on some kind of income (and live somewhere) during however many months it takes to build the thing.

I know I definitely need to do more research. I guess I'm just assuming I will need thousands (or likely tens of thousands) of dollars of start-up money. So I'll be working for a while. But it's a long-term dream :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd rather have money in the mix with an easy way to attain it in order to avoid the daily grind of upkeep on such an unnecessary isolation. If you're good at the financial aspect of hunting and gathering, you are able to put your efforts towards other things that are more important. Staying self sufficient is great until you're basically working for yourself to keep yourself alive, going backwards away from specialization and making your life about constant survival and less about living.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
I am helping a friend build one. They are a lot of work to build, and I think the design and size are critical to get right. 1000 sq foot would be 'big'. 500-600 sq foot would be better, along with a garage and deck that isn't counted.

It is the way all new homes should be built, and the next house I live in will be one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts