Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,268 Posts
The 90s were certainly different but I think the main thing is that people were different. People certainly are more abrasive and rude these days and society in general seems more coarse. There's a certain innocence to everyday life that is just gone now.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,904 Posts
It was a different time for sure. The world seemed like a bigger and more mysterious place. You couldn't just immediately fact check anything on your smart phone. Without social media you didn't know what was going on with people all the time either. It was pretty much all word of mouth. When people got together they weren't all on their phones. Obviously the music was way better than now.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,012 Posts
@shyguy07

Oh yeah there used to be lots of chat shows like that. I never really watched any of them and now the internet has kind of replaced that sort of thing I think (I mean it probably still exists though, but I don't really watch much TV anyway and don't watch normal TV, so only shows I decide to watch online.)

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
i am actually glad we use the internet now the way we do. Although I am largely over social media.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,012 Posts
Also all the shows had great theme songs in the late 90s-2000s even if the shows weren't great:

^ I wanted this show to be good but it was leaning a bit too much on being a YA romance and also the rushed parts in later seasons. At least I still have The Sims 2 Strangetown. I still want a show with the same desert/alien aesthetic but that's like Buffy. So like this show but better quality.
Weirdly I was re-reading this Loki one shot fanfic earlier and it's really well written but is from 2014 so I went onto the author's profile to see if they'd written anything more recently or longer and that's when I noticed that they had a bunch of Roswell fanfics. I assumed this was for this TV show above but I noticed it said Roswell (2019) TV show and apparently there's a sequel series that came out in 2019 that has 3 seasons so far.

I dunno I might watch it to see what it's like. The new Sabrina show was actually good (still had some issues especially as it went on, but it's probably been the best fantasy show since Buffy I think that I've watched.) I wasn't going to watch the Sabrina show actually because I know they got rid of talking Salem but then I was looking for something to watch and just randomly decided to watch it, also my brother had weirdly said it was really good and he wasn't expecting it to be. Shame they cancelled it because of covid.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,012 Posts
@WillYouStopDave

Yeah she had some good tracks back in the 2000s. I liked the one that was part of the Eminem track Stan:

Also these tracks:

But yeah that song (Here With Me) has a kind of trip hop vibe which was a very interesting music genre. Like some other examples (got used semi-often in TV show intros I guess lol):

Portishead - Roads

Sneaker Pimps - Small town witch

How did I find a way to fit Chris Corner into this post. But I did.

I always think this track is called Unfinished Symphony but it's not lol:

Edit: almost forgot they used this in a Tomb Raider trailer too (Underworld.)

Such a good genre really.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I liked the early 2000s. I remember Blu Cantrell & Sean Paul were number 1 on my 17th birthday lol!

I remember myself being more positive about the future and having hope that one day everything would work out.. (still waiting for that day..)

Social media wasn't a big thing and my insecurities wasn't fuelled by comparing myself with these largely filtered and unrealistic images. Selfie weren't even a thing!

I think today's society seems more dysfunctional, materialistic and narcissistic. But that's just my opinion :)

·
Song and action man
601 Posts
With some exceptions it was pretty much at this point in life I stopped seeing kids playing outside.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sometimes I go to My 90's TV! and flip through the channels especially through 96,97,98 when I was in high school and probably watched the most TV. It is amazing what you can remember, I am talking the most boring commercials that would play all the time I can still remember when they come up, some obscure Sci-Fie cannel movie I can remember watching, things you have literally never once thought about in 25 years still have a place somewhere in the back of your brain. I also find if funny when you see movie trailers at the time with a lot of the same stars today in a movie you don’t remember at all. Sylvester Stallone and Antonio Banderas are facings off in Assassins(1995) and you are just like what the hell was that. Robin Williams takes his family on a RV trip in this new comedy RV! You are just sitting there like I thought I was pretty familiar with Robin Williams work what the actual **** is this.

·
Stan the Man
6,468 Posts
The 90s were certainly different but I think the main thing is that people were different. People certainly are more abrasive and rude these days and society in general seems more coarse. There's a certain innocence to everyday life that is just gone now.
Nice way of putting it...

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,706 Posts
Sometimes I go to My 90's TV! and flip through the channels especially through 96,97,98 when I was in high school and probably watched the most TV.
That is a really cool site, thanks for sharing it 👍😻

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,245 Posts
It's all a fair share of cringe.

Reactions: Greenmacaron

·
Registered
374 Posts
I remember I was a fan of the 'chat shows'.. Apart from Jerry Springer, I loved Ricki Lake, Maury Povich, Sally Jessy Raphael and Jenny Jones.. especially when Rude Jude was on :LOL:

Probably embarrassing to admit that! 😳

·
Song and action man
601 Posts
I get most if not all of these sentiments here. But at the same time life had its stresses back then as well. My 1st real bad agoraphobic/depressive bout came around 2003ish. Plus today there are support forums like this as well as for whatever your likes or interests are.

Just sayin'.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts