Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times do we talk about alchohol here?!
But it's been helping me alot lately or hindering I'm not sure. I'm very secretive about it which seems stupid. Because I live with my parents I will openly have a drink but won't be obvious about how much. People don't think I drink that much. I get nervous drinking in public because of obvious SA things of judgements about what I'm drinking, ordering, getting ID'd what I'm expected to drink and stupid things like that. Sometimes I've had a few drinks before checking replys on here or replys on my phone. Seems pathetic but it's true. I heard that taking sleeping pills in the day can have the same effect as alcohol, I thought about it, but I do enjoy a drink, I don't know.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah it seems like a coping technique and could get dangerous. Are you taking medication for anxiety? Because it would probably be a whole lot healthier to medicate with something that is for the purpose of helping anxiety instead. Although I know personally it can be embaressing to ask for medication. But its the right thing to do and alchol will just make things worse if you abuse it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not on any medication no. Yeah I'm trying not to rely on it it's not that it helps anxiety at all it makes things a bit blury so I don't think or care as much. I'm not sure how meds work, when I saw the doctor they offered me citraprolam but it's just an anti depressant. I don't know. I feel awkward because I've left it a while. I feel a bit crappy at the moment about things and it's making me extremely unmotivated.

·
Registered
690 Posts
From what my therapist told me they generally start you on an SSRI which are anti depressants. Then if those don't work they move on to other drugs like benzos and SNRIs. So even though the citraprolam sounds like its for depression its probably equally good for anxiety. Starting it is also the first step to finding what works the best for you. Although you'll probably be fine with SSRIs.

I know what you mean about feeling unmotivated when things just suck. But its well worth the effort to start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts