Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed how ridiculous my anxiety can get.

Today someone sneezed and I couldn't muster up the courage to say "bless you". I just told myself "are you kidding me?" "really"? But I just noticed that that I suffer from a mild panic attack haha. It's kinda pathetic and makes me come off as rude :no.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dumbest most frustrating thing for me is using the public restroom. I cannot use the urinals and I was able to when I was in my single digit years for sure but all of the sudden, I don't know when, I became unable to stand there and use them.

So I use the stalls, but if its really quiet and there's other dudes in there, I can't relax and go. I sweat and and get the shakes all nervous while I stand there and 100% of the time since I've been a teenager I would sit down and most of the time I'd be able to relax and go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have lots of stupid phobias, but the one that's bothering me today is my fear of doctors. I am not afraid of doctors, but having my blood pressure taken. It gets really high, and then I have to explain to the nurse what is going on.

I am home sick from work today because I threw my back out on Saturday, and I really need to go to the doctor to get some muscle relaxers, but instead, I am just dealing with the pain and the inability to walk.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If it's really quiet around I'm afraid to say it myself because I'm afraid it will put me on the spot.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I find it really awkward to say "Bless You" when someone sneezes as well, I don't know why. I didn't say it to people for years, and now when I do it just sounds really weird and fake.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I to have had this situation present itself many times, i get really fustrated with myself. I think it in my head and dont say it. When i do musture of the courage to say it I feel proud of myself. which is kinda dumb in itself. IReally need to overcome this Bull****.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
this happens a lot to me in the computer labs at school...which makes me wonder who sneezed on my computer before i got there. anyway, i always panic about saying it, then waiting too long and thinking 'i cant say it now 10 seconds after the sneeze..thatd just be weird'.

i had another dumb situation today in a fast food place, i couldnt find where they hid the napkins and had to stand up and walk around to see where they were. still couldnt spot them and felt like everyone noticed me wandering around like i was trying to find buried treasure...noticed i was getting crazy hot in an air conditioned place and had to think about how dumb my thought process is

·
Registered
61 Posts
I find it really awkward to say "Bless You" when someone sneezes as well, I don't know why. I didn't say it to people for years, and now when I do it just sounds really weird and fake.
I'm in the same boat, I'm not religious so saying "Bless you" in any context is just out of my comfort zone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I always feel awkward when someone sneezes, I say bless you, and then they continue to sneeze....what happens now? do I continue to bless them a million times and come off strange or not say anything else and seem rude and careless....I usually just say it once...hopefully that's enough haha.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I hate when I go to stores where they have employees who are always asking if you need help. I spot them coming like a mile off but I can't seem to avoid them even if I pretend I don't see them and don't need help. They always stalk me down and corner me. I'm sure they can sometimes see the terror in my eyes when they eventually ask. Sometimes it happens with the same employee more than once on the same visit.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I don't think it's rude if you don't say bless you to someone. The person probably wasn't thinking, "Omg, no one said bless you to me!", so I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i don't like it when people tell me god bless you when i sneeze because i have to answer back with a thank you. somehow my thank you sounds more fake then their god bless you.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
i don't like it when people tell me god bless you when i sneeze because i have to answer back with a thank you. somehow my thank you sounds more fake then their god bless you.
thats true. i always feel like behind their 'bless you' is a 'hey everyone, this guy sneezed'

·
Registered
68 Posts
While I'm not a germaphobe, I do have a reluctance going to hospitals. I cannot stand being in hospitals. I hate the feeling completely of having people come "nurse" me and getting help in general.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
I'm the same way with "Thank yous" I just cannot ever say thank you. I can barely say "Thanks" and will only say that when I feel that I'll look like a rude jerk if I dont. This actually came up today. My dad did me a nice favor - the best I could muster is a half-a**ed "thanks" muttered under my breath...God I hate myself

·
Registered
339 Posts
Saying "bless you" when someone sneezes, according to social master classes, is a no-no because you are simply not meant to notice or be aware of the flaws of others. Their apparent humaness is something that we share with them. Like we've all messed ourselves and had breakdowns etc.

I always ignore people when they sneeze. I think this is polite.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dumbest thing for me is introductions, " Hi my name is ______" all I could say is "Hi" I wish I could say "Hi my name is Ivan" I hate myself for this and the worst part I am a sales guy...people just think I am rude when I just mutter "Hi" under my breath!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I pretty much over-analyze anything I have to say to someone wether its "bless you", or "thank you for..", or "hi i'm Tanya". I get myself so worked about about those stupid things that I get really awkward, then end up talking too quiet, they ask me to speak up, and my anxiety goes through the roof. Just the other day at work a nurse did some laundry for me during night shift, all I was saying was "thank you for doing laundry for me last night!", and I barely got the courage to say it. I did it, but it took some nerve lol

1 - 20 of 50 Posts