Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have an anxiety attack my mouth gets really dry.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Any tips for curing/preventing dry mouth (other than drinking water)

·
Creepy Crawly Crusader
292 Posts
^ HAHAHAHAH, well certain kinds of medication have that as a common side effect. I have a dry mouth all the time. It's a good reminder sometimes because I tend to neglect drinking water...

·
Greenmail
4,205 Posts
Yes. Ive found that when that happens water doesn't help much. Get a toothbrush with a tongue scraper. Whenever you get a dry tongue, clean it. Also juice or other drinks worked better than water for some reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cognitive Hypnotherapy is the answer

A dry mouth is a physiological response based in fear. If you allow your mouth to go dry in a social setting (public speaking etc) your subconscious mind will think you are under threat and start responding accordingly in an unconscious way. The trick is to do two things ensure you have as much saliva in your mouth as possible or practical to trick your brain into thinking it isn't under threat. The second thing is to find a cognitive hypnotherapist near you through the Quest Institute who can help you get to the root of your social anxiety problem by creating a hypnotic script specifically for you which will work on your subconscious mind and trick it into thinking everything is OK. Good luck

·
Registered
831 Posts
All that I take is Seroquel at night time can that cause it?
Seroquel can sometimes cause it, but it doesn't happen to everyone, and, in my experience, it doesn't happen that often. That said, in your case the seroquel might be part of the problem. You might do well to talk to your doctor if you're concerned about it; they'll know best what to do. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts