Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. ive come to the conclusion that all my unneccisary anxiety has come from doing cocaine ( about 5-6 times, half a gram to myself) ecstacy, (went on a 1 month binge every weekend about 2-3 pills) alcohal ( every weekend for 5 months) weed occasionally, and taking/abusing adderall (snorting)

i realize this sounds terrible for a 16 year old but i have COMPLETELY stopped all drugs including medicine...i wad extremely influenced to do all these drugs i am a good kid i should of known better.

i will never touch a drug again. EVER

now, i need some opinions on what to do, im not ready to see a therapist and i get extreme anxiety when i have to go to the doctors...

what shall i do. i need a meal plan, excersize plan, life plan some guidance please!!!

·
Skeletal wreck of man...
1,492 Posts
I don't know what to tell you except...do what makes you happy now. It could all be gone tomorrow. Life is too short to worry about the future these days.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The correlation between anxiety disorders (and depression for that matter) and substance use disorders is very high. Substances are a natural coping skill. This is not to say you have a substance use disorder but you MAY have an anxiety disorder. You are doing the right thing by getting clean. This way you can tell if your anxiety is substance induced. You will be alright. Hang in there!

·
Registered
318 Posts
matisyahu, it's important to get help, you've done a brave thing posting here, alot of us have been through similiar things. The fact that you quit all the drugs and alcohol shows how strong, brave and determined you are. Go to your doctor, we've all done it and tell him your having bad anxiety problems. The most important thing is you can beat it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sometimes drugs can mess you up for a pretty long time. During my freshman year of college, someone spiked one of my drinks and I was kind of a wreck (Read: batcrap crazy) for two years after that. Sometimes it takes a while for the effects to totally disappear.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey there. I heavily took cocaine, E's, Speed and alcohol for about a year. i understand what you went through, i also will never touch the stuff again (except a beer now and then), and I had to go on a massive health fix. It triggered anxiety in me, which I have permanently now, and made my depression worse, I used all the drugs to escape. Anyway, what I did to help fix myself was this:
-Loads and loads of fish oils in my food, or flaxseed oil if you dont eat meat. There a many studies on omega oils and how they are good for the brain.
- Liver cleansing foods - carrot juice, blueberries (a superfood, with tonnes of good stuff in it), lots and lots of greens- letturce, spinach, kale. Garlic, a which is an anti-parasitic, this means it fights illnesses, it helped me as i had ruined my immune system. There are loads more food to help you - look them up on the net!
- Meditation - this stopped my constant, chrning, anxious thoughts.
- Writing - helped me deal with stuff
- counselling and CBT
-Medication - I really didnt want to, but i ended up having to go on Citalopram, this actually helped me sooo much, because i could them focus on doing all of the above thing.

Well, there are loads more things you can do as well. The above are the things that helped me, after taking to many drugs for a prolonged amount of time. Hope maybe at least one of these helps you to mate! :yes :boogie

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey there. I heavily took cocaine, E's, Speed and alcohol for about a year. i understand what you went through, i also will never touch the stuff again (except a beer now and then), and I had to go on a massive health fix. It triggered anxiety in me, which I have permanently now, and made my depression worse, I used all the drugs to escape. Anyway, what I did to help fix myself was this:
-Loads and loads of fish oils in my food, or flaxseed oil if you dont eat meat. There a many studies on omega oils and how they are good for the brain.
- Liver cleansing foods - carrot juice, blueberries (a superfood, with tonnes of good stuff in it), lots and lots of greens- letturce, spinach, kale. Garlic, a which is an anti-parasitic, this means it fights illnesses, it helped me as i had ruined my immune system. There are loads more food to help you - look them up on the net!
- Meditation - this stopped my constant, chrning, anxious thoughts.
- Writing - helped me deal with stuff
- counselling and CBT
-Medication - I really didnt want to, but i ended up having to go on Citalopram, this actually helped me sooo much, because i could them focus on doing all of the above thing.

Well, there are loads more things you can do as well. The above are the things that helped me, after taking to many drugs for a prolonged amount of time. Hope maybe at least one of these helps you to mate! :yes :boogie
jeez thank you.. im glad im not the only one. but your scareing the **** out of me by saying you have " permanent anxiety" im only 16! i have to live with this **** for so many years to come ****.

i have been taking fish oil but i feel it sometimes worstens my anxiety. likely because i buy it from groccery store for a couple bucks...

witch fish oil brand do u use?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can totally identify. I was having constant suicidal thoughts about half a year ago when I got clean. I was a hallucinogen fiend, myself, although I went through a coke phase, too.

First thing I can tell you is this: it does not sound terrible. What you've described is pretty light use. It may sound like a lot to people on the straight and narrow, but you should talk to some of my friends. I've tripped hundreds of times and they act like I'm some goodie-goodie.

I'm not saying don't knock it off. Experimenting can be great, but diminishing returns are a b*tch.

Second thing: don't mistake correlation for causation. You have developed anxiety, and you have done drugs. The drugs didn't necessarily cause the anxiety. This is important. I say this, not because I'm a pro-drug hippie, but because blaming the drug use is only going to make your anxiety worse. You have already done them. It's in the past. No taking it back. Focus on moving forward and making the lifestyle changes you want to make. Don't beat yourself up and get trapped in the same old ruts of thought ("sh*t, if only I hadn't done coke, I wouldn't be feeling this...").

I was so anxious and freaked out by the end of my hallucinogen adventures that I was having psychotic symptoms. Really, they were some of the nastier effects of the substance I was using so regularly, only I was to the point of having them while sober. I'm talking about hearing voices, seeing things that weren't there, bizarre sensations all over my body, feeling like I was broadcasting my thoughts telepathically. My family, too, has a history of psychosis and dementia. I thought I was losing my sh*t.

But in my clearer moments, I reflected back to a bit of ancient wisdom my psychonautic experiences brought home for me: "as a man thinks, so he is." (Same goes for women, too ;) .) I would instead focus on being grateful for my drug experiences, and would instantly feel calmer. I could be in the midst of what I called psychotic symptoms, and as soon as I found that place of thankfulness, I would be at peace again.

Finally, the third thing: you're not f*cked for life, and you're not losing your mind. That's just the anxiety talking. Definitely clean yourself up, cut out all stimulants, especially the adderall (and most caffeine, if you can). I recommend not smoking weed. Go light on the alcohol for a while. Start exercising: lots of cardio. You'll start cleaning out and you'll feel a hell of a lot better.

I would also recommend taking up a new hobby or two. Preferably something social. Establish some friendships that aren't centered around partying or ingesting psychoactives. Get a job, if you don't have one.

Cheers, man.

·
Registered
521 Posts
jeez thank you.. im glad im not the only one. but your scareing the **** out of me by saying you have " permanent anxiety" im only 16! i have to live with this **** for so many years to come ****.

i have been taking fish oil but i feel it sometimes worstens my anxiety. likely because i buy it from groccery store for a couple bucks...

dont freak out darlin, you will be ok! because you are 16 your body will be able to bounce back! I usually take Blackmores fish oil, Blackmores is a good brand, i get it in Australia, but im sure they will have it overseas as well.
Remember, I did it non stop for about a year, and Im talking cocaine almost every day! You are sure to be fine, and i was always a nervy person before i even took drugs, so thats why i got so bad from it, and i was in my 20's during all of the drugs.
The other thing - ALWAYS make sure you get enough sleep ok? because it is natures aid to repare your body. Do not be scared ok? and message me whenever you need advice if you want!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I believe that drug abuse actively uncovers mental illnesses that you are predisposed to; I smoked cannabis regularly from the age of 15 to 16 (a particularly important time in mental development)
I started experiencing regular social anxiety at the age of 16 (after an episode in which i smoked too much cannabis and had a severe panic attack)
It is quite conceivable that the drugs you have taken have uncovered social anxiety (a mental illness that you are likely already to have been predisposed towards), like cannabis did in my case
only recently (7 years later) have I begun to seek treatment for social anxiety, i suggest you do not wait for 7 years until anxiety becomes too severe to ignore for any longer; I regret not having sought help earlier

·
Registered
154,235 Posts

The thing is that EVERYBODY has anxiety - that is what she means.
The key is to learn what to worry about and what not to worry about. Our thinking is what triggers the panic. Having done those drugs is nothing but a temporary fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
28 now and speaking to younger self

I'm 28 now and I wish I had never taken Drugs. More than that I wish I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was 16 and tell myself what I know now, so when I and saw your post come up I thought I have to share what I know to this guy.

I used to take about the same amount of drugs as you when I was your age. I got a massive whack of Anxiety/Panic period that knocked me for socks. I freaked out thought I was dying all the time, became hyper vigilant, tense all the time looking out for the next reason to freak out yadayada. Anyway I couldn't accept it and i said I WILL NEVER TO DO DRUGS AGAIN i just wanted to back to the way I used to be!!!.

My anxiety did get more manageable (IT DEFINITELY DOES), over time I think because I learned to cope with it a bit more and accept it and dismiss it because I learned that it is fundamentally harmless.

I promise this will happen to you, your anxiety will get better. and you'll be yourself again.

I got so good at dealing with them that they weren't a problem, that 3 years later I started to take drugs again slowly but surely the same way that I started in the first place maybe a bit of weed here and there and then the odd line or something, It thought I'm fine now and got complacent, the exact slippery slope that got me taking drugs in the first place. Now that was the big mistake for me, as I had lost that I AM NEVER DOING DRUGS AGAIN attitude, which led me to take more drugs which i used to control my anxiety in the end and get increasingly more anxious over the years.

The reason why I'm telling you this is because what we say now ( especially when were panicky) can change in the future. We all said when we were kids that we will never do drugs but that changed, how many people say when there hung over they will never drink again and then once the hangover is gone they do it again once they are relaxed and complacent?

What I am trying to say is that you are going to be fine, you will learn to how to get over your anxiety I'm sure of it. I'm actually certain, but Just hold on to that I AM NEVER DOING DRUGS AGAIN attitude which i am sure you can because as much as you maybe scared that this isn't going to get better, the way your going it will I promise.

So the 1st thing I would say to my 16 year old self is stick with what your doing, and keep that attitude NEVER DO DRUGS AGAIN. I know I would have saved myself loads of years of anxiety if I had. So good on you, keep that up.

Since my twenties Ive tried everything you could imagine to reduce my anxiety. and a lot of them worked and had a good impact.

But the thing that worked the best for me, and this is the second bit of advice i would give to my 16 year old self is to try meditation. I wish I had started then as it really helped me gain control of my worrying. it might be something that you've never thought of or have no idea what its about, but go find a teacher or class and give it a go for a month and see what happens you've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I really hope your gonna be okay, and I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good for you on staying clean. Drugs are trouble, always. They'll make you pay with your mind.

As far as what to do, you need to find something, anything, that you are passionate about. Dive into a hobby of some sort. Start learning a skill that could make you money. Pick something that rewards you, and that interests you enough for you to stick with in the long term.

But if you want to feel better quicker, start a weight lifting regime of going to the gym at least 3 times a week. Couple that with protein supplementation. I'm currently out of the loop, but believe me, you feel way more at peace with yourself and the world when you exercise (the more intense the better) and eat properly (making sure to at least get an adequate amount of each food type).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good for you on staying clean. Drugs are trouble, always. They'll make you pay with your mind.

As far as what to do, you need to find something, anything, that you are passionate about. Dive into a hobby of some sort. Start learning a skill that could make you money. Pick something that rewards you, and that interests you enough for you to stick with in the long term.

But if you want to feel better quicker, start a weight lifting regime of going to the gym at least 3 times a week. Couple that with protein supplementation. I'm currently out of the loop, but believe me, you feel way more at peace with yourself and the world when you exercise (the more intense the better) and eat properly (making sure to at least get an adequate amount of each food type).
I agree with this.
and OP, awesome job getting clean. I wish that I was as strong as you.

Right now, I am struggling with drugs because I am temporarily able to escape my SA. But the longer I use, the worse the SA gets when I am not using. But once you get in a cycle, it's hard to break free from that. OP, I admire you, keep it up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with this.
and OP, awesome job getting clean. I wish that I was as strong as you.

Right now, I am struggling with drugs because I am temporarily able to escape my SA. But the longer I use, the worse the SA gets when I am not using. But once you get in a cycle, it's hard to break free from that. OP, I admire you, keep it up.
Truth. They are all consuming.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts