Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a new psychiatrist in 2 weeks, so hopefully I will have this all figured out then, but for now I need to vent.

I have serious anxiety when it comes to giving speeches in front of my class. I'm in an advanced Masters program and have to give one or two speeches per week. Needless to say, I have been an absolute wreck since the semester began this summer.
I begged my doctor for Inderal, but she decideed to give me a NON-selective beta blocker, Metaprolol. When that didn't work, I begged her for Klonopin. After a few weeks, she gave in and prescribed me .5mg to take when I have a speech. She told me that the Klonopin should be enough and that I shouldn't have to take the beta blocker anymore. Well, it wasn't enough. In fact, I've now been taking them together and it's still not enough. In fact, I've been taking .75 Klonopin and a little extra of the beta blocker and it's STILL not doing anything. I gave a speech today. I was out of breath and visibly nervous the entire time. I also stuttered a little. How can I be on both of these meds and still have absolutely no improvement?? Is there a better med I should be trying? I need advice or encouragement or something.

·
Registered
423 Posts
0.5mg of clonazepam is only a starting dose, many people have to take more than that to achieve any effect, you should try 1mg, 2mg, and 4mg doses to see if they have any effect. As for beta blockers I have to take 40mg of propanolol to achieve the desired effects.

·
Banned
232 Posts
I would get another doctor she knows very little about doses, you need about 3 mg klonapin and Im not familiar with the dose range of the b blocker but it will be on the net

that much K usually may make you feel drunk but the anxiety cancells this out

it also helps to tense and relax your muscles and to breathe deep and slow before and during the speech

helps a lot if you can make a couple of jokes during the speech to reduce the tension
the above med doses will get back your confidece about public speaking which, once you learn how to do it can be enjoyable:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts