Votes: 21 40.4%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 5 9.6%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that very commonly used statement totally stupid and redundant? Isn't it on par with saying "fruit and apples" as if apples are not a subset of fruit?

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Often when people talk about "drugs" they mean illegal, recreational drugs. They're not including alcohol, nicotine, caffeine or medicine, even thought these things are all drugs. Therefore, it makes sense to refer to "drugs and alcohol."

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Alcohol is illegal for minors, and pot is medicine in many states, so I think it's confusing to many people when you say "drugs & alcohol". Makes people think that whiskey isn't a drug and cannabis isn't medicine.

It's hilarious when people get drunk, light up a cigarette, and start making fun of "potheads".

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hilarious when people get drunk, light up a cigarette, and start making fun of "potheads".
I envision a DEA agent going home after a big drug bust and relaxing with a glass of whiskey or a cold beer and feeling so very proud of how he's fighting some righteous War on Drugs, all while the irony of him consuming a mind-altering substance himself is totally lost on him.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I envision a DEA agent going home after a big drug bust and relaxing with a glass of whiskey or a cold beer and feeling so very proud of how he's fighting some righteous War on Drugs, all while the irony of him consuming a mind-altering substance himself is totally lost on him.
haha, and even more ironic is that the reason it's lost on him is because drinking makes it easier to stay in denial.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd say redundant.
Kind of like saying "Serious illness and cancer".
"Communicable disease and HIV".
"Vehicles and Toyota Corollas".
"Holidays and Christmas".

I guess the reason for the distinction is that alcohol is legal and recreational drugs aren't. Certainly I consider alcohol to be a class of drug, rather than a whole separate category (except for the legal distinction).

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I suppose the whole phrase should be "illegal drugs and alcohol (and prescription medications, and tobacco, and caffeine, and what else am I forgetting?)"

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose the whole phrase should be "illegal drugs and alcohol (and prescription medications, and tobacco, and caffeine, and what else am I forgetting?)"

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
You'd also have to specify prescription drugs that are being abused or obtained illegally, as opposed to legal use & not being abused. OxyContin = legal. Going to five doctors and having your maid score you some oxy on the black market like Rush Limbaugh years ago = not legal.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
It makes absolutely no sense that alcohol is legal and pot isnt.

I voted redundant.
I rather have someone smoking pot then drinking alcohol. I never heard of anyone beating their wives, kids, or getting into public brawls when they are smoking pot. But when they drink alcohol they get mean. I know my dad got mean when he drank too much.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rather have someone smoking pot then drinking alcohol. I never heard of anyone beating their wives, kids, or getting into public brawls when they are smoking pot. But when they drink alcohol they get mean. I know my dad got mean when he drank too much.
Not everyone gets mean when they get drunk. I get rather mellow. I post sober, so you know I'm angry to start with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not everyone gets mean when they get drunk. I get rather mellow. I post sober, so you know I'm angry to start with.
Alcohol (and to a lesser extent, cocaine) offer me a window into what it would be like to live without social anxiety disorder.
It's nice on the other side of the window, so nice I wish I could go over there and never come back.
Which is why I haven't touched coke in fifteen years and only drink moderately, infrequently, and under very controlled circumstances (ie, my husband acts as my watchdog when I'm drinking, and tells me when to stop).

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
that bugs me a little. i know i may sound like a typical stoner (i really am not anymore), but i can't stand hearing **** from people looking down on those who smoke weed occasionally, while they down five glasses of wine or several bottles of beer on a weekly occasion and they still confidently state that they have never and would never do drugs. come on!

·
Banned
115 Posts
The distinction is redundant and misleading.

It serves to delineate alcohol from the overreaching term "drugs". Meaning that companies that make and sell alcohol dont want their product to be associated "drugs" because as well all know, "drugs are bad". Because of this, they spend lots of money to try an avoid this association.

In the USA you get the message "drugs are bad" from a very early age. Notice how drugs all of the sudden become "medications" when their use is approved by a doctor. And moderate alcohol use is encouraged and deemed acceptable in our society.

Few people would tell you that moderate drug use is acceptable but when that drug becomes alcohol it looses its stigma. The same is happening with marijuana. Marijuana use is becoming more acceptable because people came up with the word "Medical Marijuana" to distance the perception of many that cannabis is a "drug". Cannabis is a drug but not in the sense that Reefer Madness portrayed it. lol

The distinction will always exist because big alcohol and pharma don't want their product to be associated with drugs in the mind of the consumer. Its really that simple.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
From a strictly logical point of view, "drugs and alcohol" IS redundant.

However, the dictionary definitions of words are often just as important as the connotations that those words have. In this sense, "drugs and alcohol" makes total sense... alcohol is what everyone drinks on the weekend, drugs are what you can't do if your job tests for drugs. Prescription and OTC "drugs" are neither, since this isn't what people usually mean when they say "drugs and alcohol".

It just depends on the context in which the phrase is being used. Pretty simple.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that bugs me a little. i know i may sound like a typical stoner (i really am not anymore), but i can't stand hearing **** from people looking down on those who smoke weed occasionally, while they down five glasses of wine or several bottles of beer on a weekly occasion and they still confidently state that they have never and would never do drugs. come on!
But wine is fine socially. It's even good enough for the wealthiest of snobs if expensive & pretentious enough, though it all gets you drunk whether it cost $100 a bottle or comes in a big cheap box.

Here in Wisconsin a few years back we even had an attorney general who said she "only had one glass of wine" after state troopers busted her for drunk driving. I'd say that must have been one hell of a big glass because she ended up driving off the road at 5 mph in a state-owned car.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts