Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't wait until Friday for this. I've been a huge fan of director Nicolas Refn since I first rented the Pusher series, so it's exciting to finally see something by him get a wide release in the States. From the press I've seen, it sounds like the minimalism of Walter Hill's The Driver meets the neon 80's atmosphere of Alphabet City. Already grabbed a Palme D'Or nomination & Best Director win at Cannes which is surprising for a full-on crime/action flick.

(Won't post the trailer since I heard it's full o' spoilers)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is Ryan Gosling a proverbial "tough guy" in this movie? That's what I may have trouble accepting. Other than that, it sure looks to have some stylish cinematography. Might actually want to go and see it among a couple other movies (which is rare for me.)

Looking this director up on imdb, seems like I could enjoy some of his other stuff. Any particular film to recommend of his?

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only movies I've seen Gosling in are The Believer and Murder By Numbers, so him playing a hardened loner character doesn't feel like a stretch to me. I guess a lot of people immediately think The Notebook though.

Pusher and Bronson would be my top Refn recommendations, but if you favor more arthouse/atmospheric stuff then maybe track down Valhalla Rising or Fear X.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just came back from Drive. Fantastic film, but audience reaction will be mixed. It's a surprisingly slower-paced and often quiet modern noir thriller, with tastes of intensely violent action once things get going. Reminded me a lot of Thief/Manhunter-era Michael Mann, right down to the emphasis on mood created by the stylish visuals and synthesizer-heavy soundtrack. A quite rare moviegoing experience as far as current-day multiplex fare goes. I felt goosebumps from the opening credit sequence alone.

Currently over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. :shock

·
Registered
196 Posts
Going to see if I can get this Bronson movie. Looks great.

As for Gosling, I have only really seen him in Half Nelson (and Murder by Numbers but that was when that first came out). He has a very refined look to him, but that won't get in my way of likely checking this out.

Watched Breaking Bad for the first time last night, so I am interested to see Bryan Cranston in this as well.

Probably will check this out sometime soon. Also plan to see The Debt and Contagion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.