Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was drinking a little today at a party and it seemed to actually help my anxiety. I wonder if this could be helpful. I'm thinking about doing it before my friend comes over. I need something to relax so I can be more fun.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Yeah it really helps for anxiety, but ofcourse there are bad side effects. It's not healthy, you may feel really bad next day if you had a bit too much and you may get dependent. And you won't be able to go to some exam or job interview drunk, but for occassions like having a party or going to some meet-up it will help.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
I was drinking a little today at a party and it seemed to actually help my anxiety. I wonder if this could be helpful. I'm thinking about doing it before my friend comes over. I need something to relax so I can be more fun.
Just be tasteful with it. Like the guy above me said, coming drunk to a job interview will probably not make the best impression. On the other hand, getting drunk at a party is pretty much expected. *Coming* drunk to a party shouldn't be too bad either, so that might help with any anticipatory anxiety. I know for me, the anticipatory anxiety is worse than any anxiety I feel at the actual party/event.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah i LOVE drinking but i try not to use it for anxiety relief. Because I don't want to become dependent. Oddly enough i drink more when I'm comfortable, i was at this party and didn't have more than 4 12 oz cans of beer, where usually i can drink like 5 or so 24 oz cans. GOD i miss beer =(

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Drinking can be very effective for temporarily reducing your anxiety. But as others stated, make sure you don't rely on it very often, or it could become a crutch and an even bigger problem than SA. If you ever find yourself having to drink even a small amount every day, you know you need to back off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BAD IDEA, this can easily lead you to alcoholism. Not to be so extreme but this is how a lot of them start on that path. Sure it helps you loosen up, but remember that you CAN do it without alcohol. I wouldn't use it for small things like when your friend is coming over, but for larger social events where drinking is expected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts