Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More of a phenomenon than a disorder, though i couldn't really think where else to post this. I'm new here.

Anyway, curious to know if this affects anyone else on such a scale as me.
From wikipedia -Déjà vu, French - "already seen" also called paramnesia or promnesia, is the experience of feeling sure that one has witnessed or experienced a new situation previously (an individual feels as though an event has already happened or has happened in the near past), although the exact circumstances of the previous encounter are uncertain.

The experience of déjà vu is usually accompanied by a compelling sense of familiarity, and also a sense of "eeriness," "strangeness," or "weirdness." The "previous" experience is most frequently attributed to a dream, although in some cases there is a firm sense that the experience "genuinely happened" in the past.

It's getting to the point when it's nearly a daily occurance for me. Scenes or "still frames" I've seen in dreams before have somehow made there way as such to occur in real life.
Two biggies I've had include when a friend was speaking to me, I actually recalled the "scene" from a dream I'd had and mouthed her exact words she was saying for a bit. :|
Another time on a car journey, I saw the EXACT setting I had dreamt of being there a few times before. (Astral projection?)
That really crept me out.

On another topic I can lucid dream quite often too. (Being mentally aware you're dreaming and pretty much do what you want in a dream.)

Anyone else get this alot or can relate to this?

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
I had a dream once that came true. It happened in 6th grade. I was on the bus when it pulled into the school yard and I was looking out the window. This one kid that was like in 9th grade came out carrying a dozen of eggs. He lived on a farm and had chickens, but I never knew this in my awake life. This kid was huge. He must of weighed 300 lbs. He ended up slipping on the ice and falling down right on his rear end dropping the eggs causing all of them to break. I ended up laughing while looking out the window of the bus. He looked and seen me laughing and started to yell at. Then I woke up. The next thing it exactly happened how I dreamed it. I will always remember that.

Sometimes I even what the next song will play on the radio. Also, this morning I was watching something and this guy was writing numbers on a board and the last number he was going to write came into my head which was 2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thats pretty amazing :eek:

the latter i can relate to alot. that short-term precognition thing happens to me often. it just pops into my head sometimes what people are about to talk about before they do, also things like you described with the guy writing numbers; it just pops into my head.
like the other week i was playing bop-it (google it :b) for some nostalgia and i frequently found myself predicting what "command" would come next correctly to the extent it was scary.

its worth considering that its down to the "Law of large numbers". A random quote i found on wikipedia again - "Say the odds are a million to one that when a person has a dream of an airplane crash, there is an airplane crash the next day. With 6 billion people having an average of 250 dream themes each per night, there should be about 1.5 million people a day who have dreams that seem clairvoyant."

either way, its pretty cool, haha.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I used to get vivid, uncontrollable flashbacks of what I dreamed, which would leave me pretty panicky. Hasn't happened for a while, happily.

Also, what I thought of a "telescopic" deja vu - I'd think "hang on, I remember that," then, immediately, I'd think "hang on, I remember remembering that," then, "hang on, I remember remembering remembering that," and so on. It made my brain feel squick.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've sometimes wondered if all the anxiety is caused by heightened sensory perception. There are a lot of people and things going on all around us every day, and that could easily overwhelm a sensitive but untrained and unaware psychic. It's an interesting thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its happened to me for quite a few years... spooky!
But in mine it always cuts back to normal before the bad things that happened happen...
Like my dejavu of sitting in the chemistry class, seeing the exact same things that Id seen in the dream, apart from the next bit where we were all evacuated and the school fell down lol

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
This only happens to me when I haven't eaten food for an unusually long amount of time. Something which I rarely let happen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah this happens to me sometimes. But only once has it scared me. A couple of years ago, I had a dream that I had went to the beach. On the beach there were 3 people sitting in chairs facing the ocean. I couldn't see there faces and that was basically the only part of the dream I could remember. The people were all just chilling on the beach at night.

I am not sure how much time went by after that dream, maybe a couple of months or something. But me and my friend decided to go to the beach and my sister came with us. Me and my friend tried salvia for the first time and that was when the deja vu hit. It was scary because I didn't know wether I was dreaming or if I was actually there. I kept trying to wake up but I couldn't because I was already awake reliving my dream. But yeah, deja vu doesn't really bother me except for that particular time.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I get this too.
I had a dream a giant toothbrush, stabbed me in the neck with a syringe at a busy city train station and I missed my train.
I woke up with a pain in the neck, and a toothache, later than day I missed my train, in the city! Thats probably the closest Ive come to my dreams coming true.
Whenever I remember a dream, I look up the meaning and apply it to my life. lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts