Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive started doing work experience a couple of days a week.
Im enjoying it there, keeps me busy and ive met a few really nice people, but theres one thing thats got me concerned. Its the boss' 'what you do on the weekend?' every monday morning.
The monday just passed wasnt good. He asked how my weekend was, then what did I do and wouldnt let me go. Ive noticed that monday morning he's non stop asking the people who work under him, how their weekends were. And he blabbers on to others what he did.
I think Im gona have to bs on monday. I cant say 'not much' again. He'll start thinking something's wrong with me. Its best if I lie, but Im dreading that. And the lie has got to be good and well thought of if he asks even more questions like 'what club did you go to?'

I think some others are annoyed with his constant questioning. One girl replied to his 'how was your weekend' with 'cold' and ran off.

But on Monday Im gona have to come up with something decent.
Maybe I should look the entertainment guides to see if I could use some stuff there.
@$#% I really dont know if I can pull this off.
Can anyone help me? What should I say that sounds decent? Im thinking Ive got to mention going to a club....he seems like a clubber
Or maybe I should say, 'listen mate ive got no friends alright due to various reasons, can you please stop bugging me?'

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for replying, thats not a bad response. I might do that one next monday, but id prefer it if I actually went out this weekend. I cant stay at home 2 weekends in a row.

·
Registered
122 Posts
sounds like he is just looking for an opening to talk about what he did for the weekend he probably doesn't even care what you did.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The boss sounds like kind of a d-bag. Why not a house party? That's going out, isn't it?

How about this (assuming you're a guy - adjust misogynistic tone if not)...

Boss: "...and that's all I remember before waking up face-down on someone's lawn without pants. How was your weekend?"

You: "You remember last week I was telling you about going over to my buddy Josh's place to hang out? Well there was this girl there and she invited us to her off-campus house that she is renting with I think three other people for a party this Saturday."

Boss: "Is she hot? What's her name?"

You: "Ashley. She's kind of cute, but her friends that were there were hotter. Anyway, so I picked up Josh and two of his friends and we headed over there. It was a fairly big house, but there had to have been at least 30 people there. So we hadn't even been there an hour when someone yelled that the cops were there. I didn't think it was a big deal until I realized that half the people there had to be underage, so then one of Ashley's roommates told everyone underage to go downstairs and shut up for 5 min. The cops left, Ashley got scared and told everyone to be quite and then we migrated downstairs and played beer pong for a bit. By 2am Josh had gone from hitting on all the girls to completely passed out. After a bit, I went over and talked with one of Ashley's friends..."

Boss: "You DID, didn't you!"

You: "Settle down, nothing happened...she did end up giving me her number though [have a cell phone entry for "Jessica" ready]. After 3am it broke down into groups and I ended up playing card games with Jessica and Ashley and her roommates (suggestion: Texas hold 'em). By 5am I knew I had had too much Grey Goose and who knows what else and was ready to pass out, so I locked myself in a room to make sure nothing would get shaved off and went to sleep."

Boss: "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...."

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damnit, 2 mondays or so have passed since I started this message and they were both failures in terms of what I said to my boss about my weekends. I couldnt lie. Not when there were other people nearby listening and the whole room was quiet.
He knows something's wrong with me.
I hate his weekend questions. Thats the only thing he'll ask me all day. Nothing about any other topic. Just the weekend. And he stares at me with piercing eyes, like he knows Im hiding something. He'll do the same thing tomorrow. 'How was your weekend' 'what did you do' followed by a long stare and ill be hurting inside, getting red in the face and wanting to die.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have you ever considered this...why is it any of your boss's business what you did on the weekend?

Only one supervisors that I don't get along with asks me this question, and that's only cause he's an ******* with no life at all himself. Pretty much everyone else at my work has gotten used to the nothing much answer. And they don't treat me that much different because of it. Of course there is the occasional comment, but nothing too bad.

And if I do something on the weekend, I still try to say "nothing much" to that supervisor, cause he's a goddamn gossiping ******* and it's none of his business. I do tell the people I get along with what I did on the weekend, if anything exciting happened.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh btw I dread Mondays for a completly different reason...having to deal with the arseholes at my work for another whole week, and being completly exhausted mentally every day for 5 days. Every Sunday, i go to sleep feeling as if my heart is gonna collapse into my chest and wake up Monday morning with an instant anxiety attack, as soon as I open my eyes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well the guy who posted this topic..how you're perceiving this situation is unhelpful. It's just standard social procedure to ask about someone's weekend, and you can't 'fail' at telling someone about it. Just say 'Not much,' 'Stayed home, saving for a vasectomy,' whatever,if that's all you've got, and ask him about his. I ask people about theirs even though I don't really care, it's just a good thing to say when you don't know someone well.

He won't figure something is 'wrong' with you, you won't ever know what he thinks of you unless he says it outright, this is what I've been learning lately. In all the years I've said I've done nothing on the weekends its never been a big deal, people don't care.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its none of his business but he just asks me this question. And he asks it seriously like its a job interview question. Its makes me so uncomfotable. Ive never had this before
Maybe I should ask him what he did on his weekend.
I bet it'll be jam packed with social outgoing activities like clubbing, seeing a music group.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He gives me this concerned look when I say not much. Just stares at me way too long.
He's the type of guy that deems clubbing and the like normal things one does on the weekend.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
Seriously, I would just say something like "not too much", "hung out with some friends", "worked around the house", "saw a movie". Even if its a lie, it should shut him up and let him move on to the next person. He might just be asking everyone to be nice, or so he can just bs for a little bit and not work. But honestly its nice to have a boss that asks questions like this. Atleast he thinks of you as a person and isn't a prick who doesn't acknowledge you and just wants you to work work work. And another thing, even if you say something like "not too much", I don't think he'd think your weird. Alot of people enjoy just being home and relaxing. Hope everything goes smoothly Monday.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I always tell them exactly what I did. I couldn't give a damn what they think. I really don't want to hear about their weekend, either. Just shut up, go away and let me do my %&#$ work!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not a good person to advise about this. But one thing I can say is it does seem you're projecting your own insecurities onto your interaction with your boss. I hate even that word boss. I'm so beyond the curve with the whole work/money stuff...anyway...

It's true your boss may just be trying to connect with you, in some way, not to hurt you.

One idea is to make a joke answer. Another is to what others have said make something up. I would definitely, if you continue to be forced into this miserable interchange, definitely get the news on what he did on the weekend. At least it can help you get more information about this issue, maybe ideas of what to say. Another thing you could potentially do is talk to this boss privately and tell him your a shy person, you don't have a lot of social life, and you'd rather not talk about it with him at work. So letting him know honestly what's going on with you.

Keep looking for support about this. Hopefully you will work it out, so it won't continue to be a misery in your life. I know we've many of us dealt with this.

For myself I think I've tended to say as little as possible, maybe make it a bit light/jokey and then ask them about themselves. ex: "Oh I don't know another uneventful weekend," "Or jeez that's a good question I can't even remember." ha.

Be well! Anyway! Screw them!

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
If you have to lie, just make up something where you don't have to get into specifics like say you caught a laser show (if you have those there) watched a movie or a ballgame with friends or went on a hike or walk or whatever. I wouldn't say you went to a club if he's into that cause he'll ask you which one u went to and what DJ was there.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I'd probably just be honest and say "not much". You shouldn't have to take time out of every single weekend to craft a new excuse. That is ridiculous. By being honest, he'll eventually take the hint and won't expect a more detailed response from that point forward.

My boss would sometimes do this.. My response was usually a one word answer like "good" or something similar. He never asked me to elaborate, which pretty much proves that he really didn't care, he was just making simple chit chat.

You can try saying "not much, how was yours?" It's a good way of taking the attention off of you and putting it back on him. The only problem is then you might have to stand there and listen to him ramble about random **** you don't care about. That is often times why people ask that question in the first place. They secretly hope you'll ask them, that way they can tell someone about their "exciting" weekend.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crap, I feel bad now. Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, him asking me this is polite. What'd be even worse is if he just said 'hi, ok do this, that'. That's rude. There's nothing wrong with him asking me about my weekend. It's small talk. But it's just that im so embarassed about doing nothing. Today he didn't ask me what I did on the weekend. Probably cos the last two mondays I gave such a bad vibe. I think I betta ask him what he did on the weekend next monday, and make something up for myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know, to me making a conscious decision to lie about your weekend isn't a very good idea. I mean how long can you keep this up? What if you make up a party and he asks you to invite him too next time? What will you feel when you're inevitably caught in your lie, besides the humiliation of having had to invent a social life you don't have, your boss won't like the fact that you've been lying to him the whole time. He might think you're lying about other stuff too.
Why not admit, I don't have a very interesting social life and he'll stop asking you. I mean on the one hand this very question makes you nervous but on the other hand you'd be offended if he didn't ask you that...?
To sum it up I don't think weaving a web of lies about your life is gonna work for the long term, so if you plan on keeping this job it might be a good idea to be honest about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts