Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to complete the program. What a goal! From start to finish it's about five months long. What the hell am I thinking? Lol.

Anyone else care to join me?

Tomorrow will be the start of week three for me. So far so good. I am surprised at how simple stopping the ANTs are. It really does work and has done so consistently. I have also tried the slow talk in real life also. I know I jumped the gun a bit but the situations seemed to call for the slow talk.

I guess this will be the place where I post over the upcoming weeks on my progress. I also keep a private journal where I get more detailed but this is ok too.

It's time for me to lick this problem. I can see how it can affect my social life, my career progress, my intimate relationships, and my overall happiness. I would really like to give the program a try. So far soo good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Woohoo! Good on ya! :)

I am also doing these tapes. They're absolutely incredible.

I started in May of this year, (so it's been about 5 months already for me), but I'm only at session #13. I did this because some weeks were very busy/hectic for me, and/or I wanted to double-practice the material, and/or I wanted to go back and redo some sections.

I project to be done some time in April 2012, but I suspect that I'll continue reading many handouts daily for a long time after that.

I'd really like to hear how you do with the program. I am really happy about the program so far. It can be a lot of work, but it's so worth it.

Evan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, I just read my comment and I really hope I didn't de-motivate you there, haha.

It's a lot of work, but it's not hard work. And if you complete the program and follow the instructions whole-heartedly, you can basically guarantee that you'll overcome SA. :)

But it's not just about overcoming SA - it's also about revitalizing your entire life, seeing the world rationally and objectively once more and eventually finding true peace and happiness.

So it's quite an interesting journey :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But it's not just about overcoming SA - it's also about revitalizing your entire life, seeing the world rationally and objectively once more and eventually finding true peace and happiness...
This is what I hope. Thanks for the encouragement. Feel free to post your results also. We can encourage each other.

I am confused about one thing though. I keep hearing about 30 minutes a day. I was under the impression that the slow talk was only 10 min. What's the other 20 minutes? Maybe I'm not far enough into the program.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is what I hope. Thanks for the encouragement. Feel free to post your results also. We can encourage each other.

I am confused about one thing though. I keep hearing about 30 minutes a day. I was under the impression that the slow talk was only 10 min. What's the other 20 minutes? Maybe I'm not far enough into the program.
Cool sounds great.

As for practicing, I believe you're supposed to slow talk 10 minutes each day in addition to the 30 mins therapy.

I always read my handouts out loud in slow talk. It helps get the information down as well as improving your speaking and self calming abilities.

Try reading the therapy each day in slow talk as well as some other info or book.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the 30 min therapy? Or am I not there yet? I thought the slow talk was part of the 30 min.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ah yes i do remember having this problem.

I just listened to 30 mins or so of therapy every day and practiced slow talk for 10.
It gets more structured as you go on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My goal is to complete the program. What a goal! From start to finish it's about five months long. What the hell am I thinking? Lol.

Anyone else care to join me?

Tomorrow will be the start of week three for me. So far so good. I am surprised at how simple stopping the ANTs are. It really does work and has done so consistently. I have also tried the slow talk in real life also. I know I jumped the gun a bit but the situations seemed to call for the slow talk.

I guess this will be the place where I post over the upcoming weeks on my progress. I also keep a private journal where I get more detailed but this is ok too.

It's time for me to lick this problem. I can see how it can affect my social life, my career progress, my intimate relationships, and my overall happiness. I would really like to give the program a try. So far soo good.
I'm joining with you in this goal. Just got the program today. I'll try to update every week.

·
Registered
238 Posts
YAY! Other people doing what I'm doing! Makes me feel like a part of something! Even though I'm not. I'm having a hard time staying motivated. I've listened to the first four tapes one time each. I know I'm doing it wrong. I'm at a pretty depressing time in my life right now, with no one to really talk to or relate to. Anyway. Good luck to you all.
If you feel like it, start at the beginning and update as you go. That's what I'll be doing. Try to cheer up, because this could be the key to a relatively normal life. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YAY! Other people doing what I'm doing! Makes me feel like a part of something! Even though I'm not. I'm having a hard time staying motivated. I've listened to the first four tapes one time each. I know I'm doing it wrong. I'm at a pretty depressing time in my life right now, with no one to really talk to or relate to. Anyway. Good luck to you all.
You are part of something. We are all in the same boat with SA at varying degrees. Just start over and take it one day at a time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Gerbil

I don't know if this helps but you need to understand that the only way you'll feel better is by doing therapy. This is a paradox as when you are feeling very depressed the last thing you want to do is therapy. But you must press through and do it.

When I first started the tapes I was extremely depressed and suicidal. I was so unbelievably anxious but I couldn't even leave my room go to the kitchen for fear of running into my roommates.

The first few months were extremely difficult but I pushed through the pain I'm devoted myself to at least 30 minutes of therapy each day. I can't begin to explain how revitalized I feel.

But let me say that it is more than just getting over depression or social anxiety disorder. It is about renewing and revitalizing your life, about finding peace and true happiness.

I apologize sincerely for imposing, especially as I don't know you. And I do not mean to come across as judgemental. I just know that if you are in the same position that I was 5 months ago, you need to know that there is hope. You must not give up. And you absolutely must follow the therapy correctly.

I hope to be here for support for everyone that is doing the tapes, and wish you the absolute best.

Evan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tomorrow will begin week 3 for me. I now understand why 30 minutes is needed. There are several exercises to do.

So far, overall, it's working just fine. I do find that I tend to not stay negative as long as before using the tapes. I also find that in my work life I am communicating a bit clearer. Its not because I have been using slow talk in real life but I think just the practice Of speaking clearly for 10 min a day is doing something.

The only real criticism I have up to this point is that it's slow and takes time. I sill have about 4 months of exercises ahead me. I am still only using cognitive techniques this far. I'm a bit eager to go out and try some of this stuff. I guess I just have to be patient.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your support.
I actually just started over, and I'm doing the 30 minutes a day everyday. I'm only on day three right now, but I'm going to stick with it.

I just got fed up. I'm sick of it. You know what I mean?

And this is only the beginning for me. I've realized that I have a lot of growing to do. Many major changes to make. First things first.
:cool:
Good luck. Join the party.....

Tomorrow will be quite interesting for me. Lets see how relaxation works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for your support.
I actually just started over, and I'm doing the 30 minutes a day everyday. I'm only on day three right now, but I'm going to stick with it.

I just got fed up. I'm sick of it. You know what I mean?

And this is only the beginning for me. I've realized that I have a lotg of growing to do. Many major changes to make. First things first.
I wish you sincerely all the best. I'll be here as support as long as I continue through with the tapes.

I really know what it feels like to be completely hopeless and want to give up. It may be impossible for you to believe this right now but things really can change.

Wish you strength and perserverance

Evan

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am also repeating the program over and over. It took me a while until I fully realised it are those ANTs that are making me anxious and that I was having them constantly not only at home, but also in social situations. It is very true that to overcome SA you have to stop believing those Ants.
It's like you have to eliminate every single negative thought you are having. Most of my thoughts are mind reading anyway. So more and more I realise people are not judging me as badly as I always was thinking.

PS. There are multiple threads going on about this. Maybe we should keep one central thread about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm half way through another week of the program. Wednesday's are the day when I start a new week. It just worked out that way for me. In any case, so far so good. I have been feeling better overall. All of the work I have been doing is paying off, so far. Only time will tell.

Pro's
- only 1/2 an hour per day is needed
- I can work on it around my schedule
- All of the exercised are amazingly simple and explained well in the tapes

Con's
- Only the cognitive portion is worked on first. It gets a bit repetitive and boring for me. I'd like to dive into the behavioral work and get out to do something socially. I guess in time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, I just read my comment and I really hope I didn't de-motivate you there, haha.

It's a lot of work, but it's not hard work. And if you complete the program and follow the instructions whole-heartedly, you can basically guarantee that you'll overcome SA. :)

But it's not just about overcoming SA - it's also about revitalizing your entire life, seeing the world rationally and objectively once more and eventually finding true peace and happiness.

So it's quite an interesting journey :D
Thanks for that comment. i am starting the tapes today, but a got a bit of trouble finding out what my ANTS are

1 - 20 of 68 Posts