Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have moderate OCD, but not severe. Obsession and no compulsion. I don't really sleep much anymore because of nightmare that occur everyday. My doctor was really concerned about my sleep and the dreams, and he suggested Doxepin for sleep. I noticed Doxepin is a TCA. I have a script for Anafranil, but I've been putting off taking it for about 5 weeks because I'm really worried about the side effects.

Would doxepin be effective for moderate OCD? Are there any other TCAs worth trying for OCD besides Anafranil? Help with sleep would be a bonus.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
clomipramine

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Luvox is a no-go? I'm on 10mg of Saphris.
Not necessarily a no go but as far as I know it will likely push Saphris levels to 2 or 3x normal so you may need to reduce your Saphris dose to 5mg or 2.5mg. On the bright side this could save you money.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Also I should note that Luvox isn't a pure SSRI. It's an SSRI + a potent sigma receptor agonist. This sigma property is supposedly what makes it more effective than the others at treating OCD.

P.S. Doxepin is mostly a sedative at low to moderate doses and primarily works like an antihistamine.

P.P.S. I think I recall you mentioning in another thread that you take Kratom daily. You should probably tell your doctor about this if you haven't already since I think opiates in general are linked to abnormal dreams.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Also I should note that Luvox isn't a pure SSRI. It's an SSRI + a potent sigma receptor agonist. This sigma property is supposedly what makes it more effective than the others at treating OCD.

P.S. Doxepin is mostly a sedative at low to moderate doses and primarily works like an antihistamine.

P.P.S. I think I recall you mentioning in another thread that you take Kratom daily. You should probably tell your doctor about this if you haven't already since I think opiates in general are linked to abnormal dreams.
I agree with all of this. Though I don't really have OCD, I can say that I've used most of the TCA's and Doxepin seems to be only worth using for sleep.

As I said before, when my anxiety is at it's worst I do experience some minor OCD. I also find that Opioids aggravate those symptoms for me as well. Just thought I'd add that encase it is helpful to you.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's possible I just tend to think that both Kratom and Lamotrigine don't have an effect on my dreams. I've been on the same med regimen for about 2.5 years and it's never caused a bad dream. I've also been on a kratom regimen for 4+ years and it hasn't caused a bad dream either (before April). Before kratom, none of the other opiates seemed to mess with my dreams either.

This all started this summer when I got sick. I was sick about 4.5 months, and constantly had death dreams. I got better, but the dreams never stopped. It's been going on since around april.

I don't know. Maybe it's possible, but I just don't think so. My doctor does know about kratom. I am still trying other meds for sweating. I have tried countless other meds which haven't worked. Well the anticholinergic, Cogentin, worked but there was lots and lots of blood going to the bathroom. If I can find one that's tolerable that actually works, I'll be giving up kratom. That's the reason I take kratom. It actually works.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm having some problems. I quit.prozac about 5 weeks ago. I went through some pretty nasty hell and I wasn't able to sleep for two weeks. I got desperate and got on some 5htp which has helped tremendously. I planned to stop the 5htp over the holidays but that failed after about two days. I start feeling physically ill. I can't get any decent sleep. I feel fatigued and kind of sick. I can't go through more weeks of that.

I'm questioning whether I really need them or not. I thought I didn't but now I'm second guessing. I feel like I usually do physically when I get depressed, but not so much mentally. It might be a good idea to try luvox.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts