Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ivy21
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few years I have noticed that I am liking more and more scary movies than before. I used to be scared of them and I still am of some of them but I find that watching them helps me; when I think I did something wrong in a social situation or keep obsessing over something I did. I have been watching the Saw movies and love them. Dose anyone else find scary movies helpful with your anxiety?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, certain types of movies help me get through my depression not anxiety. I love the horror genre because most of the time they are not deep/intelligent movies so there isn't a lot of thinking involved, it's just entertainment. It's good to stop thinking when you are depressed! And it's good if it works for you with anxiety :)

2,873 Posts
It's the opposite for me. When I first was a teenager, I couldn't handle scary movies, then I started to get obsessed with them. Now (with certain films), I feel like I can't handle watching them again. I get so invested in the gore and violence that I feel like I'm having a nightmare. I can't stay detached anymore like I used to. It sucks because I've got lots of favorite horror films, but I rarely watch them because the horror seems so real to me now.

Think it might've had to do somewhat with drug use. :um

My current favorite is probably Planet Terror.

·
Registered
20 Posts
YES! this is me absolutely - I have an obsession with horror and gore, I couldn't watch anything scary until I began uni 2 years ago, now I find them quite theraputic in a strange (I promise I'm not a weirdo kind of way)

I dont know whether its partly due to the fact I get anxious watching comedy films due to feeling pressured to laugh and "get" the various innuendo thats being thrown around, same with "romantic" scenes.. total panic attack onset!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.