Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dopamine agonists and SA

Can parkinsons medications like Ropinirole, Pramipexole.etc.. have any effects on mood or anxiety? has anyone tried these? it seems like they would. but i never hear about them being used for that purpose

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've been trying for a long time to get a doc to prescribe me one of these. I have had a few docs now tell me they aren't comfortable prescribing it and then try and refer me to a neurologist.

I have read a fair amount online about people having success with these for depression/SA/bi-polar. I have read just as many testimonials stating how useless people think they are for these issues. The most common complaint I remember reading regarding meds like mirapex would be excessive sedation; bordering on narcolepsy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont get why they would be useless if they act on dopamine receptors. they MUST have some pleasureable effects.

·
Registered
881 Posts
mirapex and dopamine agonize Dopamine D2 and D3 receptors. agonizing D2 and D3 results in a feedback mechanism, telling the neurons to release less dopamine. this is cuz D2 and i think D3 are autoreceptors...if you selectively activate them, it will greatly decrease dopamine activity at ALL other dopamine receptors....so you don't get high or anything. you only get nausea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I disagree, because activation of D2 and D3 by this meds have effect. For me it's antidepressant, and anti anhedonic effect. I'm not tolerate any SSRI and wellbutrin, mianserin make me feel like a zombie. Only ropinirole works, so please don't generalize, because it's not popular med.

If "telling the neurons to release less dopamine" so why this meds it's not prescribed for schizo? And one of the side effect is gaming and hypersexuality?

And why it's one of the best med for parkinsons?

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Dopamine agonists decrease dopamine neurotransmission the first few weeks after this normalizes and the positive benefits start to show up.
There is a dopamine agonist available that is non sedating, Trivastal.
After 14 days of PPX treatment, the firing rate of DA had recovered as well as that of NE, whereas the firing rate of 5-HT neurons was increased by 38%. It was also observed that sustained PPX administration produced desensitization of D(2)/D(3) and 5-HT(1A) cell body autoreceptors, as well as a decrease in sensitivity of alpha(2)-adrenergic cell body autoreceptors. These adaptive changes are implicated in long-term firing rate adaptations of DA, NE and 5-HT neurons after prolonged PPX administration. In conclusion, the therapeutic action of PPX in depression might be attributed to increased DA and 5-HT neurotransmission.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I disagree, because activation of D2 and D3 by this meds have effect. For me it's antidepressant, and anti anhedonic effect. I'm not tolerate any SSRI and wellbutrin, mianserin make me feel like a zombie. Only ropinirole works, so please don't generalize, because it's not popular med.

If "telling the neurons to release less dopamine" so why this meds it's not prescribed for schizo? And one of the side effect is gaming and hypersexuality?

And why it's one of the best med for parkinsons?
sorry lol...i wasnt trying to bash the dopamine agonists. they are very cool, and acutally Requip helps me also when i take it. i just meant that it wouldn't really cause effects that one would expect to get from agonizing DA receptors.... well, most antipsychotics are D2/3 antagonists, ....its really funny, cuz most of the psychotics also cause an acute release in dopamine. like amisulpride, for example...its antidepressant at low antagonism of D2.....but its all good. Requip and Pramipex should be used alot more with SSRIs and stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts