Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering i take paroxetine 40mg and wasnt sure if a dopamine agent would help increase dopamine and maybe work. i hear social anxiety can be caused by d2 receptor low binding.

·
Registered
319 Posts
From what i hear, dopamine agonists alone have a serious withdrawal syndrome and a lot of side effects. An SSRI, especially paroxetine, with a dopamine agonist would be a messy combo, although it'd probably be very effective.

·
Registered
707 Posts
i was just wondering i take paroxetine 40mg and wasnt sure if a dopamine agent would help increase dopamine and maybe work. i hear social anxiety can be caused by d2 receptor low binding.
Dopamine is crucial but you need to increase it, not to substitute with exogenous substance. Direct dopamine agonist's are needed only when you cells can't synthesize their own dopamine (state like parkinsonism).

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
i have also read that dopamine agonists just wear off after a short while etc. and read on here that that can be prevented by taking memantine or something.
Ignore the memantine hype, it's nothing like as effective as people say it is, and can lower the theshold for psychosis significantly. Even if it works for you, it's still only delaying tolerance.

And it seems to prevent dopamine agonists working in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts